PPRuNe Forums

PPRuNe Forums (https://www.pprune.org/)
-   Fragrant Harbour (https://www.pprune.org/fragrant-harbour-19/)
-   -   Cathay Type Rating Bond (https://www.pprune.org/fragrant-harbour/628414-cathay-type-rating-bond.html)

Pilot123abc 30th Dec 2019 19:59

Cathay Type Rating Bond
 
Hi ppruneland,

Does anyone know the current figures and time frame for the 747 type rating bond for First Officer ?

Thanks

Climb150 31st Dec 2019 02:03

I have noticed more than a couple of pilots at Virgin/Qantas etc who were SO's at CX but didnt last more than a couple of years.

Are CX pretty strict with enforcienfore training contract?

G Merch 1st Jan 2020 20:00

As far as i know, there is no bonded training for DEFO. Come, get the rating, then go wherever you like with a free type rating.

Flying Clog 1st Jan 2020 20:53

A free useless rating, as all new joiners are on the 747. So that piece of paper in your license will be about as useful as cheap toilet paper.

Pilot123abc 2nd Jan 2020 06:43


Originally Posted by G Merch (Post 10651692)
As far as i know, there is no bonded training for DEFO. Come, get the rating, then go wherever you like with a free type rating.

Interesting, are there any new joiners who can confirm this?

Thanks

petrichor 3rd Jan 2020 05:13


Originally Posted by Flying Clog (Post 10651721)
A free useless rating, as all new joiners are on the 747. So that piece of paper in your license will be about as useful as cheap toilet paper.

You must be new to this industry..a 747 rating is never useless! A rating is a rating.

DEFO no bond, only second officers are being charged for their course in Adelaide (700,000HKD)

Porterboy 3rd Jan 2020 13:03


Originally Posted by petrichor (Post 10652542)
You must be new to this industry..a 747 rating is never useless! A rating is a rating.

DEFO no bond, only second officers are being charged for their course in Adelaide (700,000HKD)

*200,000HKD for a period of 36 months, but still a sizeable bond nonetheless.

StopStart 3rd Jan 2020 16:02


Based on my personal experience a 747 rating can be very useless indeed.
Tell that to the new joiners at Virgin Atlantic whose 747 ratings just got them jobs there on the, er, 747. :suspect:

petrichor 4th Jan 2020 01:14


Originally Posted by Frank W. Abagnale (Post 10653318)
I am not sure if I would join Cathay on the 747 just in order to get a 747 job with Virgin in 10 years.
It will be less and less likely to get a 747 pax job in the future with a 747 rating.

As I wrote, when I was looking, there were only freighter jobs around.

Compare that to the market with an Airbus rating.

horses for courses.......there are some who want a job closer to home, for that they may need to fly a freighter. If that's what suits them then a 747 rating is invaluable. Not everyone wants a pax job!

petrichor 4th Jan 2020 01:15


Originally Posted by Porterboy (Post 10652847)

*200,000HKD for a period of 36 months, but still a sizeable bond nonetheless.

Thanks, I stand corrected.


All times are GMT. The time now is 21:48.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.