Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Fragrant Harbour
Reload this Page >

Conditions for cadets

Fragrant Harbour A forum for the large number of pilots (expats and locals) based with the various airlines in Hong Kong. Air Traffic Controllers are also warmly welcomed into the forum.

Conditions for cadets

Old 13th Dec 2022, 15:42
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 34
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Conditions for cadets

Looking to find some information on the existing conditions for new SOs who have come from the cadet program. I understand the pilot allowance plus some of the salary is deducted for a number of years to repay training costs? Can anyone clarify the details?

I also assume the $546,000 paid to cadets is deducted for training in the time at Polyu and FTA or AG?

apologies for coming to this forum rather than wannabes, felt the knowledge might be slightly superior here.
yep_ok_whatever is offline  
Old 13th Dec 2022, 16:38
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Honky
Posts: 179
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whatever the deal is that they tell you will be valid for about 5 minutes. It will then get changed in a way that costs you more money or time.

The ďhandbookĒ (formally known as a contract) has been getting amended almost weekly. You find out in a footnote on the weekly newsletter.

Itís so ridiculous that itís actually funny.
Xwindldg is offline  
Old 14th Dec 2022, 00:57
  #3 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 34
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Xwindldg View Post
Whatever the deal is that they tell you will be valid for about 5 minutes. It will then get changed in a way that costs you more money or time.

The ďhandbookĒ (formally known as a contract) has been getting amended almost weekly. You find out in a footnote on the weekly newsletter.

Itís so ridiculous that itís actually funny.
I also read somewhere that there is a reduction to MPF contributions or something? Not sure of the veracity or details of that either.
yep_ok_whatever is offline  
Old 14th Dec 2022, 04:19
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hong kong
Posts: 87
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All information and contacts needed to answer your questions are on the website - be pro active and ask those at the airline who have the information that you need.
You are much more likely to accurate information from that as most on here have an axe to grind although you may find someone who will assist.
I regret that my information is too out of date to assist.
veryoldchinahand is offline  
Old 14th Dec 2022, 05:03
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: somewhere
Posts: 171
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veryoldchinahand View Post
All information and contacts needed to answer your questions are on the website - be pro active and ask those at the airline who have the information that you need.
You are much more likely to accurate information from that as most on here have an axe to grind although you may find someone who will assist.
I regret that my information is too out of date to assist.
no axe to grind, simply an understanding that living on cos18 which is constantly changeable in HK is untenable, even for a cadet pilot. There is a reason close to 1300 crew have disappeared off the seniority list in the past 2 years. I would suggest speaking to some of these people about what the conditions are like and why they left ( which by the way extend long beyond covid measures) not the ones who have stayed who have done 5-10 closed loops, are happy to sit for hours doing covid tests or didnít see their families for months if not years all to help a company which refused to help and remunerate them appropriately.
nkand is offline  
Old 14th Dec 2022, 10:27
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Honky
Posts: 179
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veryoldchinahand View Post
All information and contacts needed to answer your questions are on the website - be pro active and ask those at the airline who have the information that you need.
You are much more likely to accurate information from that as most on here have an axe to grind although you may find someone who will assist.
I regret that my information is too out of date to assist.
Haha thatís a good one! Most of the information being given here is very much more accurate than what youíd get from someone in the company whose position requires them to drink and spread the cool aid.

The people defending CX on here must either be in management or they are former A or B scalers who are minted and donít really need the money anymore. Thatís a fact!
Xwindldg is offline  
Old 14th Dec 2022, 11:46
  #7 (permalink)  
Rie
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Wan Chai
Posts: 367
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
COS18 for a SO is possible only as Cup Noodle Crew. You'll be shaked up in a tiny shoebox and just waiting that long 5-6 years for your FO upgrade just so you can get 1000hrs on the seat and leave to EY/EK/QR/whatever other expat job that will be better even with deteriorating conditions.

Just remember, SO time at CX is worthless to most other airlines. If Taiwan/China decide to "integrate" the HK game is over for good.
Rie is offline  
Old 14th Dec 2022, 14:04
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 42
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A cadet by definition surely is 0 hours... So imagine being 20 years old and have completed your training, first job (and maybe your entire career) is with CX. Yes the salary isn't great at starting (actually whom I kidding, its very good! you're a cadet!) but blow my nuts I earned less than a store worker in my first job, and it wasn't flying 777's etc. If I could wind back to when I finished my training almost 30 years ago I should have applied.

If you're a cadet and thinking of applying, do it! There are almost no airlines in the world that will hire someone with 0 hours. You will learn so much and in 5-6 years when you're a first officer then that's great, and you can now start putting those real hours in the logbook and earning good cash.

Most cadets live at home with their parents anyway, so you'll be saving everything. And $500k isn't anything to turn your nose up at.
Oli777 is offline  
Old 14th Dec 2022, 14:11
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: HK
Posts: 11
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yep_ok_whatever View Post
Looking to find some information on the existing conditions for new SOs who have come from the cadet program. I understand the pilot allowance plus some of the salary is deducted for a number of years to repay training costs? Can anyone clarify the details?

I also assume the $546,000 paid to cadets is deducted for training in the time at Polyu and FTA or AG?

apologies for coming to this forum rather than wannabes, felt the knowledge might be slightly superior here.
The monthly allowance is deducted for the first 3 years to cover approx. half of the training cost. No reduction to basic salary so take home is about $32,000 p/m. Productivity pay depends on fleet but not sure any recent cadets are reaching their minimum hours anyway. Assuming a full schedule the productivity pay would add another ~$20,000 p/m onto the basic
cadet7000 is offline  
Old 14th Dec 2022, 21:27
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: 3.5 from TD
Age: 46
Posts: 1,044
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello, Iím wondering what living conditions on the RMS Titanic are like? Are the rooms comfortable? There seems to be a lot of vacancies with so many people boarding the lifeboats, so Iím thinking of packing up all my belongings and hopping aboard now that the bow is at the same level as my dinghy. Theyíve even rolled out a band to welcome me aboard 😬

Side question: What do you do with the flag carrier of a country when that country ceases to exists??
Sqwak7700 is offline  
Old 15th Dec 2022, 07:30
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Gerloz
Posts: 813
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
De facto flag carrier at that.
MENELAUS is offline  
Old 17th Dec 2022, 17:50
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 24
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cadet7000 View Post
The monthly allowance is deducted for the first 3 years to cover approx. half of the training cost. No reduction to basic salary so take home is about $32,000 p/m. Productivity pay depends on fleet but not sure any recent cadets are reaching their minimum hours anyway. Assuming a full schedule the productivity pay would add another ~$20,000 p/m onto the basic
Exactly this^
Acepilothk99 is offline  
Old 19th Dec 2022, 06:04
  #13 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cadet7000 View Post
The monthly allowance is deducted for the first 3 years to cover approx. half of the training cost. No reduction to basic salary so take home is about $32,000 p/m. Productivity pay depends on fleet but not sure any recent cadets are reaching their minimum hours anyway. Assuming a full schedule the productivity pay would add another ~$20,000 p/m onto the basic
Thank you for the info! Could I also ask you, if a cadet failed ground school or flight training, will CX require the individual to pay back half of the training cost?
gowiththeflow is offline  
Old 20th Dec 2022, 05:04
  #14 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 24
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gowiththeflow View Post
Thank you for the info! Could I also ask you, if a cadet failed ground school or flight training, will CX require the individual to pay back half of the training cost?
That will be up to the company to decide but most cadets who failed training werent required to do so
Acepilothk99 is offline  
Old 20th Dec 2022, 05:29
  #15 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Acepilothk99 View Post
That will be up to the company to decide but most cadets who failed training werent required to do so
Thank you! It is so funny, the Talent Acquisition Team is supposed to respond enquires from prospective applicants, instead, we have to come here and ask for help, it almost feels like they do not want to be bothered with any questions from anyone. It is such as turn off.
gowiththeflow is offline  
Old 20th Dec 2022, 13:41
  #16 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Back of Beyond
Posts: 148
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THAT's the turnoff?

Wow. I could think of about a thousand other reasons to look elsewhere.
Flying Clog is offline  
Old 20th Dec 2022, 14:05
  #17 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 518
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talent Acquisition Team. Only someone ensconced in an Orwellian bubble could come up with this.
raven11 is offline  
Old 20th Dec 2022, 18:07
  #18 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: England
Posts: 596
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That should be the Talent and Wannabe Acquisition Team…
Kitsune is offline  
Old 20th Dec 2022, 20:24
  #19 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: somewhere
Posts: 171
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flying Clog View Post
THAT's the turnoff?

Wow. I could think of about a thousand other reasons to look elsewhere.
1300 and rapidly expanding at 1-2 pilots a day!

Itís a worry when you canít even re activate 10-20% of your pilots who havenít flown in 3 years.
nkand is offline  
Old 21st Dec 2022, 02:52
  #20 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by raven11 View Post
Talent Acquisition Team. Only someone ensconced in an Orwellian bubble could come up with this.
Forgive me for asking but whatís the issue here? Many companies now have itís own Talent Acquisition Department such as PwC, KPMG, Bloomberg etc..So I donít really have a problem with it. Rather, I have problems with them being unresponsive.
gowiththeflow is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.