Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Fragrant Harbour
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong to mandate hotel quarantine for cargo aircrew

Fragrant Harbour A forum for the large number of pilots (expats and locals) based with the various airlines in Hong Kong. Air Traffic Controllers are also warmly welcomed into the forum.

Hong Kong to mandate hotel quarantine for cargo aircrew

Old 28th Dec 2021, 04:42
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: The Poorhouse
Posts: 13
Hong Kong to mandate hotel quarantine for cargo aircrew

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...gtype=homepage

Hong Kong will mandate three days of hotel quarantine for returning air cargo crew and is considering making coronavirus vaccinations mandatory for school students as it takes a more aggressive approach to battling a rise in imported Omicron cases.

More details about the recent spate of cases will be revealed at an afternoon press conference addressing the city’s pandemic situation.

Following last week’s announcement that all government workplaces would require full vaccination by mid-February, the Education Bureau is now considering making it mandatory for schools as well, according to a source.

Meanwhile, returning Hong Kong-based cargo aircrew will soon be required to quarantine in a hotel for three days rather than at home, a tightening of measures aimed at stamping out a recent spike in aircrew infections, another source told the Post.

“We’ll have to scramble quickly for hotels,” an aviation insider said of the situation.

Cargo aircrew were, until recently, allowed to quarantine at home throughout, though able to leave for up to two hours a day for Covid-19 testing and to obtain food and other daily essentials. Those rules were tightened last week, limiting them to departing for virus screenings only.

The move to eliminate home quarantine follows the confirmation of a handful of recent infections stemming from aircrew, including two preliminary cases identified on Monday.

Hong Kong on Monday confirmed 14 previously imported cases involving the more transmissible Omicron variant, including 10 identified on Saturday – the most in a single day yet. The other four were identified on Friday.

The city has now recorded 58 Omicron cases.
ZootBoot is offline  
Old 28th Dec 2021, 04:46
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: In the Auzzie outback
Posts: 150
The screws only get tighter and tighter...
dabz is offline  
Old 28th Dec 2021, 05:15
  #3 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Liquifaction Island
Age: 62
Posts: 157
So
Will those be G days?
They can’t be?
So no patterns longer than 9 days to get your 2 in 14 in HK?
turnandburn is offline  
Old 28th Dec 2021, 05:18
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Hk
Posts: 84
Originally Posted by turnandburn View Post
So
Will those be G days?
They canít be?
So no patterns longer than 9 days to get your 2 in 14 in HK?
The more prevalent issue is the sheer number of rosters with 2-3 days off between duties for the entire month..
Dingleberry Handpump is offline  
Old 28th Dec 2021, 07:33
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 12
Empty shopping aisles is the only way for this to affect the public. This is a definitely a step in that direction.
HoldenCaufield is offline  
Old 28th Dec 2021, 08:08
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 139
Everyone knows

Originally Posted by ZootBoot View Post
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...gtype=homepage

Hong Kong will mandate three days of hotel quarantine for returning air cargo crew and is considering making coronavirus vaccinations mandatory for school students as it takes a more aggressive approach to battling a rise in imported Omicron cases.

More details about the recent spate of cases will be revealed at an afternoon press conference addressing the city’s pandemic situation.

Following last week’s announcement that all government workplaces would require full vaccination by mid-February, the Education Bureau is now considering making it mandatory for schools as well, according to a source.

Meanwhile, returning Hong Kong-based cargo aircrew will soon be required to quarantine in a hotel for three days rather than at home, a tightening of measures aimed at stamping out a recent spike in aircrew infections, another source told the Post.

“We’ll have to scramble quickly for hotels,” an aviation insider said of the situation.

Cargo aircrew were, until recently, allowed to quarantine at home throughout, though able to leave for up to two hours a day for Covid-19 testing and to obtain food and other daily essentials. Those rules were tightened last week, limiting them to departing for virus screenings only.

The move to eliminate home quarantine follows the confirmation of a handful of recent infections stemming from aircrew, including two preliminary cases identified on Monday.

Hong Kong on Monday confirmed 14 previously imported cases involving the more transmissible Omicron variant, including 10 identified on Saturday – the most in a single day yet. The other four were identified on Friday.

The city has now recorded 58 Omicron cases.
Everyone knows that home quarantine is only a joke. At first it was thought that only Philippinas would be so tricky as to comply only in appearance. In fact It is a no brainer that all of us are also intelligent enough to be able to abuse the "home quarantine" idea..
Bueno Hombre is offline  
Old 28th Dec 2021, 08:16
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bottom of the Harbour
Posts: 340
In fact It is a no brainer that all of us are also intelligent enough to be able to abuse the "home quarantine" idea..
And yet still work for CX?

I think its more like the company abusing the staff, there is nothing remotely intelligent about being inflicted with this level of bullshit..
KABOY is offline  
Old 28th Dec 2021, 08:23
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 51
Originally Posted by Bueno Hombre View Post
In fact It is a no brainer that all of us are also intelligent enough to be able to abuse the "home quarantine" idea..
It is indeed only those with no brains who think busting quarantine is a joke. The numbers of cases associated with home quarantine showed that home quarantine was being abused. Quarantine is intended to separate those who might be infected from the rest of the population until the risk of infection has been managed. One leak is enough for the net to break. It is tough on everyone when a few idiots spoil things for everyone.
oscarisapc is offline  
Old 28th Dec 2021, 11:07
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Aust
Posts: 313
Originally Posted by Bueno Hombre View Post
Everyone knows that home quarantine is only a joke. At first it was thought that only Philippinas would be so tricky as to comply only in appearance. In fact It is a no brainer that all of us are also intelligent enough to be able to abuse the "home quarantine" idea..
Intelligent!!?...you could have fooled me.
deja vu is offline  
Old 28th Dec 2021, 14:09
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Bonvoy Marriott
Posts: 361
Originally Posted by oscarisapc View Post
It is indeed only those with no brains who think busting quarantine is a joke. The numbers of cases associated with home quarantine showed that home quarantine was being abused. Quarantine is intended to separate those who might be infected from the rest of the population until the risk of infection has been managed. One leak is enough for the net to break. It is tough on everyone when a few idiots spoil things for everyone.
like you can keep your so called net tight enough anyway!? As an outsider I read your threads with disbelief and astonishment. How can you accept to be treated like this for nearly two years?

If you have a 747 rating (with the right to live in US or EU) and are still in HKG you must be mad. All 747 operators are desperate for crews.
SaulGoodman is offline  
Old 28th Dec 2021, 18:38
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Gerloz
Posts: 670
I had always thought CX silo based management and their attempt to squeeze the last pip out of a lemon, could be blamed exclusively for [email protected]@@ing over a perfectly decent job and airline.
Now I note that the HK Govt should congratulate themselves on [email protected]@@ing it over even further. What a crock. And not a single manger with the integrity to push back and tell them it canít be done. On mental health grounds if nothing else.

Last edited by MENELAUS; 28th Dec 2021 at 21:12.
MENELAUS is online now  
Old 28th Dec 2021, 19:43
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: HK
Posts: 70
Originally Posted by oscarisapc View Post
It is indeed only those with no brains who think busting quarantine is a joke. The numbers of cases associated with home quarantine showed that home quarantine was being abused. Quarantine is intended to separate those who might be infected from the rest of the population until the risk of infection has been managed. One leak is enough for the net to break. It is tough on everyone when a few idiots spoil things for everyone.
Oh you mean we need to be locked because we have to protect a population that refuses to protect itself? Seems reasonable.
rhoshamboe is online now  
Old 28th Dec 2021, 23:01
  #13 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: hong kong
Posts: 185
So EMS remains in place, won't be removed. So a PVG turn with no contact with anyone has you in home arrest for 3 days +.

Hard to believe top management agreed to this, but then again......
The FUB is offline  
Old 29th Dec 2021, 04:04
  #14 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Dark Side
Posts: 4
Yes, our management is spineless and do not give a flying F about its pilots. But, if the company says enough and stops the operation then mainland carriers will start operating in HKG to fill the void and then CX is pretty much done!!
TimeToWin is offline  
Old 29th Dec 2021, 05:20
  #15 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Oztrailia
Posts: 2,920
You all know where the door is…………maybe use it.
ACMS is offline  
Old 29th Dec 2021, 06:47
  #16 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: the best place in the world!
Posts: 40
We Gotta Get Out Of This Place!!

The Animals - We Gotta Get Out Of This Place ❗❗😡


china123 is offline  
Old 29th Dec 2021, 07:06
  #17 (permalink)  
hyg
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: hong kong
Posts: 165
Guys who are still imagining HK will go to 'live with virus' like everywhere else can give up.

The Oriental Daily has said it in its paper today, the COVID 0 strategy came straight from the very top, President Xi. Anyone who criticises or suggest opening the border with any countries other than the motherland is creating havoc for the motherland and its leadership (hint hint, National Security Law). In that article, Professor Yuen who lobbied so hard for people to get vaccinated in order to open borders with other countries was criticised as having 'evil motivation' against the motherland.

In the same article, CX was heavily criticised for receiving special treatment from the HK Gov as CX crew continuously brought in the virus. The Oriental Daily have a grudge against CX, so most of its words against CX are probably exaggerated. But its stance on licking the motherland has been faithful and strong, which means the 'special treatment' is probably not gonna last much longer....
hyg is offline  
Old 29th Dec 2021, 14:39
  #18 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Asia
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by HoldenCaufield View Post
Empty shopping aisles is the only way for this to affect the public. This is a definitely a step in that direction.
Not having a dig at your suggestion that the public getting angry will save or improve your working conditions but a few years ago it was asking young pilots not to join the company then it was pilots leaving that would surely improve things , training ban , Dragon getting chopped? Then it was the AOA should do something to improve your job . Not sure anyone can fix your position for you ? As an observer with no dog in the fight I wish you luck .
Torukmacto is offline  
Old 29th Dec 2021, 15:10
  #19 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Afganistan
Posts: 74
Seems MH spoke too quickly, this just in:




Airlines in Hong Kong have been told that crew working on non-mainland China passenger flights will lose all quarantine-related exemptions effective midnight on Wednesday, the Post has learned.

The government told airlines of the latest changes on Wednesday, going much further than the previous day when it instructed aircrew operating cargo flights to quarantine in a hotel for the first three days after returning to Hong Kong.

Cathay Pacific is already at risk of widespread flight cancellations in the coming days, as it is unable to secure enough hotel rooms to accommodate the new government rules.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...antine-related
Cury Lamb is offline  
Old 29th Dec 2021, 22:30
  #20 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Norwich
Age: 59
Posts: 24
Originally Posted by The FUB View Post
So EMS remains in place, won't be removed. So a PVG turn with no contact with anyone has you in home arrest for 3 days +.

Hard to believe top management agreed to this, but then again......

A PVG turn which involves 5-6 hours sitting on the ground in the middle of the night as they disinfect the aircraft. Even MH said it was insane, but guess what we still carry on regardless. Notice that Delta turned around in mid air citing that the procedure was intolerableÖ..
norfolkungood is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.