Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Fragrant Harbour
Reload this Page >

Australia closed to foreigners until 2021

Fragrant Harbour A forum for the large number of pilots (expats and locals) based with the various airlines in Hong Kong. Air Traffic Controllers are also warmly welcomed into the forum.

Australia closed to foreigners until 2021

Old 20th Jun 2020, 11:47
  #61 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: My Kitchen...
Posts: 85
Arrow Dept. of Home Affairs exemption guidance

Arriving is no issue, other than the 14 days iso. Based on the Dept. of Home Affairs, as a Citizen 'ordinarily resident in a country other than Australia', I'm not required to request an exemption to leave.


Anyone have an experience in leaving Oz in the past couple of months as a passenger?

Cheers.
b747heavy is offline  
Old 20th Jun 2020, 21:22
  #62 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: HK
Posts: 43
Heavy, suggest you join the FB HK quarantine support group...
everything you need to know is there.
JMock is offline  
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 13:24
  #63 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Hongkers
Posts: 451
Originally Posted by b747heavy View Post
Arriving is no issue, other than the 14 days iso. Based on the Dept. of Home Affairs, as a Citizen 'ordinarily resident in a country other than Australia', I'm not required to request an exemption to leave.


Anyone have an experience in leaving Oz in the past couple of months as a passenger?

Cheers.
I have the same understanding as you.
Returning to HKG from SYD next Monday. Assume by showing HK PID at Checkin that there should be no issues. Let you know how it goes.
bekolblockage is offline  
Old 24th Jun 2020, 11:05
  #64 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: HK
Posts: 43
Originally Posted by bekolblockage View Post
I have the same understanding as you.
Returning to HKG from SYD next Monday. Assume by showing HK PID at Checkin that there should be no issues. Let you know how it goes.
Travel from Sydney to HK on CX100 on 24 April

1. Documents and departure approval check at doors of airport. Can only enter through the first set of doors. Check in desk G for Cathay. Can drop off easily as not many people there.
2. Border force check of passports and approval to leave. Need double sign off from border force police. Takes about 20 mins.
3. Temp check. Check in very slow even at business counter. Check all passports and HK ID cards. Have to call Canberra for live approval before they will take your bags.
4. Lounge closed so you get a $30 voucher to spend but only shops open are before immigrations. Voucher only works at hero sushi and tobys estate.
5. Go through immigration and security. Cathay flight is gate 8. No shops open but vending machines work.
6. It was a new plane and we were in economy. Had 2 rows of 3 each so one adult and one child in each row in the middle. Everyone quite spaced out. Food isnt great so take some.
7. Get 2 large quarantine forms per person and a health declaration form Per person. Fill them out on the plane so they are ready to go. Flight was normal service.

Arrival in HK - airport process
1. We landed in HK about 9:20pm. Got off plane fast but one child had wet themselves and we all needed the loo.
2. There is only one loo before you get to the queues so go there as otherwise itís a 3 hour wait until you get your bags. Try and get off fast and to the front of the queue. We got behind from the loo stop and having to sort out kids who are exhausted by this point and just want to sleep. You are standing all the time in the queues.
3. Temp check and then you get in the queue. At least two initial paperwork checks. Then the wrist band and then the mob number check. Next station is the app check and register. Download the stay at home app. Receive brown envelopes.
4. We did the online health declaration and had the QR code ready but actually they just checked all the paper forms and seem to want to process these.
5. If you can manage with less hand luggage then do it as you donít have a trolley and have to keep picking it up and moving it. If you can get your buggy at the gate then do it as then one child can sleep. We should have done that.
6. Last station before immigration is a full paperwork double check, quarantine order and stamping. The wait for that is long and process is cumbersome.
7. Took about 3 hours to get to baggage carousel. All luggage off and waiting next to it. Put it in trolleys and wheel out. ATMs are working if you need cash.
8. You are sent around to the left end of the terminal and put in a lift to ground where there is a coach waiting. Can only really fit one family in a lift at the time. People help with luggage.

Asia world Expo
1. Get on the coach around midnight and taken to Asia world expo. Short drive. Get off and take luggage on trolleys to luggage area. Receive pink luggage tag.
2. Get back on another coach and be driven around the corner to the testing centre. Off coach. Temp check and get in queue with papers. Long wait as only 3 processing stations. Get to paperwork station. All papers are checked and receive testing bag. Watch the video for how to do the test whilst in the queue. Put your yellow number card on the lanyard provided and remember it. (They didnít tell us that)
3. Sent from hall 1 to hall 2 to do the test. Spit into the test tube, seal it, keep it upright and put it into bag 1 and then bag 2. Hard to get the kids to spit so give them a drink of water beforehand.
4. Hand samples in and then walk back to the first luggage hall. Provide numbers on yellow badge, explain you are a family and need a family room. They give you a form for the hotel hand the form in at the collection desk. Sit in the hall on a designated seat and wait. This is the worst bit as itís so late and you are tired. We got there about 1am and didnít get called up until about 4am. Get as many seats as you can and put the kids to sleep across the seats and do the same if poss.
5. They then call your numbers on the yellow tag and you go to the processing desk. More paper work and you get given a room number at the hotel.
6. Collect your luggage trolley and then outside to get on a coach. Coach takes you to the hotel. This was around 4am for us. We all slept on the bus.

Quarantine hotel

1. Arrival at regal hotel. You have to get all your bags off yourself. We had loads of luggage as we had been in Aus for 3 months. You then get a room key pack in lobby area. Can get the lifts up but you have to wait as lots of people.
2. One adult take as much luggage as you can and take the kids up to the room. Other adult go back and forth to get all the luggage up.
3. Ask for bottled water. We didnít get any. There is a bath, shower and towels. We all went straight to bed and slept in as didnít get into bed until 5am. They leave breakfast outside your door.
4. Room is grim. Double frosted window so you canít see out and minimal natural light. Room is a bit dirty. You get a kettle and a tv which has cable. We took coffee and cafeteries and plastic cups and cutlery so we had muesli and kids had weetnix for bfast. I had packed long life milk, poppers, bread rolls and water so we were okay.
5. They leave breakfast tray outside your door. You get no information or contact when in the room. Room phone rang at 2:30pm saying we were all negative and could go. Be ready to go as they ring batches of people at the same time and you canít get out quickly. We waited 30 mins for a lift. Donít split up as they need to process you on the ground floor together. Better to all go down together and one adult tries to do another trip with the luggage. We lost youngest child as he got into the lift and whilst Husband was getting the bags to put in the lift someone pressed the close button on the doors and he was gone. It was chaotic getting out.
6. Fill out the new forms you received for hotel and new quarantine order in advance. They will take these and original quarantine forms and check them all with ids passports. Go to the booth and see the dr who will make the quarantine order. Then you can go. Took about an hour from the phone call cos you canít get a lift down.
7. You can get a taxi outside or car to pick you up.
8. Get home and activate the bands and app. We were home by 4pm.
9. They rang me following morning to check on us.
JMock is offline  
Old 24th Jun 2020, 13:37
  #65 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Gerloz
Posts: 311
What a complete [email protected] ! The world indeed has lost its collective mind.
Globocnik is offline  
Old 24th Jun 2020, 13:51
  #66 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Australia
Posts: 14
Bloody Hell!!
Speaking of which, it sounds like you've been there and back, JM. I thought the SYD departure was bad enough but the arrival in HKG....?? What has it all come to? And where to from here?
Great read though.
knackered IV is offline  
Old 25th Jun 2020, 04:02
  #67 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Hongkers
Posts: 451
Originally Posted by JMock View Post
Travel from Sydney to HK on CX100 on 24 April

1. Documents and departure approval check at doors of airport. Can only enter through the first set of doors. Check in desk G for Cathay. Can drop off easily as not many people there.
2. Border force check of passports and approval to leave. Need double sign off from border force police. Takes about 20 mins.
3. Temp check. Check in very slow even at business counter. Check all passports and HK ID cards. Have to call Canberra for live approval before they will take your bags.
4. Lounge closed so you get a $30 voucher to spend but only shops open are before immigrations. Voucher only works at hero sushi and tobys estate.
5. Go through immigration and security. Cathay flight is gate 8. No shops open but vending machines work.
6. It was a new plane and we were in economy. Had 2 rows of 3 each so one adult and one child in each row in the middle. Everyone quite spaced out. Food isnt great so take some.
7. Get 2 large quarantine forms per person and a health declaration form Per person. Fill them out on the plane so they are ready to go. Flight was normal service.

Arrival in HK - airport process
1. We landed in HK about 9:20pm. Got off plane fast but one child had wet themselves and we all needed the loo.
2. There is only one loo before you get to the queues so go there as otherwise itís a 3 hour wait until you get your bags. Try and get off fast and to the front of the queue. We got behind from the loo stop and having to sort out kids who are exhausted by this point and just want to sleep. You are standing all the time in the queues.
3. Temp check and then you get in the queue. At least two initial paperwork checks. Then the wrist band and then the mob number check. Next station is the app check and register. Download the stay at home app. Receive brown envelopes.
4. We did the online health declaration and had the QR code ready but actually they just checked all the paper forms and seem to want to process these.
5. If you can manage with less hand luggage then do it as you donít have a trolley and have to keep picking it up and moving it. If you can get your buggy at the gate then do it as then one child can sleep. We should have done that.
6. Last station before immigration is a full paperwork double check, quarantine order and stamping. The wait for that is long and process is cumbersome.
7. Took about 3 hours to get to baggage carousel. All luggage off and waiting next to it. Put it in trolleys and wheel out. ATMs are working if you need cash.
8. You are sent around to the left end of the terminal and put in a lift to ground where there is a coach waiting. Can only really fit one family in a lift at the time. People help with luggage.

Asia world Expo
1. Get on the coach around midnight and taken to Asia world expo. Short drive. Get off and take luggage on trolleys to luggage area. Receive pink luggage tag.
2. Get back on another coach and be driven around the corner to the testing centre. Off coach. Temp check and get in queue with papers. Long wait as only 3 processing stations. Get to paperwork station. All papers are checked and receive testing bag. Watch the video for how to do the test whilst in the queue. Put your yellow number card on the lanyard provided and remember it. (They didnít tell us that)
3. Sent from hall 1 to hall 2 to do the test. Spit into the test tube, seal it, keep it upright and put it into bag 1 and then bag 2. Hard to get the kids to spit so give them a drink of water beforehand.
4. Hand samples in and then walk back to the first luggage hall. Provide numbers on yellow badge, explain you are a family and need a family room. They give you a form for the hotel hand the form in at the collection desk. Sit in the hall on a designated seat and wait. This is the worst bit as itís so late and you are tired. We got there about 1am and didnít get called up until about 4am. Get as many seats as you can and put the kids to sleep across the seats and do the same if poss.
5. They then call your numbers on the yellow tag and you go to the processing desk. More paper work and you get given a room number at the hotel.
6. Collect your luggage trolley and then outside to get on a coach. Coach takes you to the hotel. This was around 4am for us. We all slept on the bus.

Quarantine hotel

1. Arrival at regal hotel. You have to get all your bags off yourself. We had loads of luggage as we had been in Aus for 3 months. You then get a room key pack in lobby area. Can get the lifts up but you have to wait as lots of people.
2. One adult take as much luggage as you can and take the kids up to the room. Other adult go back and forth to get all the luggage up.
3. Ask for bottled water. We didnít get any. There is a bath, shower and towels. We all went straight to bed and slept in as didnít get into bed until 5am. They leave breakfast outside your door.
4. Room is grim. Double frosted window so you canít see out and minimal natural light. Room is a bit dirty. You get a kettle and a tv which has cable. We took coffee and cafeteries and plastic cups and cutlery so we had muesli and kids had weetnix for bfast. I had packed long life milk, poppers, bread rolls and water so we were okay.
5. They leave breakfast tray outside your door. You get no information or contact when in the room. Room phone rang at 2:30pm saying we were all negative and could go. Be ready to go as they ring batches of people at the same time and you canít get out quickly. We waited 30 mins for a lift. Donít split up as they need to process you on the ground floor together. Better to all go down together and one adult tries to do another trip with the luggage. We lost youngest child as he got into the lift and whilst Husband was getting the bags to put in the lift someone pressed the close button on the doors and he was gone. It was chaotic getting out.
6. Fill out the new forms you received for hotel and new quarantine order in advance. They will take these and original quarantine forms and check them all with ids passports. Go to the booth and see the dr who will make the quarantine order. Then you can go. Took about an hour from the phone call cos you canít get a lift down.
7. You can get a taxi outside or car to pick you up.
8. Get home and activate the bands and app. We were home by 4pm.
9. They rang me following morning to check on us.
JMock
Assuming you are normal residents of HK, what Ďapprovalsí and documents did you require?? I just called CX and they said as long as you have Permanent ID Card and Passport at Checkin, no other docs required.
How accurate is that?
Thanks in advance
bekolblockage is offline  
Old 25th Jun 2020, 08:02
  #68 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: CLK
Posts: 308
Employer ID will be helpful as well to prove you are returning aircrew (assuming you are) which is one of the exemptions that Border Force have on their clearance.
Farman Biplane is offline  
Old 25th Jun 2020, 15:22
  #69 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: HK
Posts: 43
Originally Posted by bekolblockage View Post
JMock
Assuming you are normal residents of HK, what Ďapprovalsí and documents did you require?? I just called CX and they said as long as you have Permanent ID Card and Passport at Checkin, no other docs required.
How accurate is that?
Thanks in advance
yes, thatís fine

its just a tedious process
even if you complete the pre approval they still ring someone

edited to add, donít forget to get the pre approval

Last edited by JMock; 25th Jun 2020 at 22:16.
JMock is offline  
Old 25th Jun 2020, 22:50
  #70 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: FL310
Posts: 49
What JMock said, the upside to all that craziness is by the time you actually get home it's almost end of day 2.

The check out of the hotel is almost as painful as the airport arrival. Bring your patience and welcome back to hectic Hong Kong.

BubbaJ is offline  
Old 26th Jun 2020, 01:10
  #71 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Hongkers
Posts: 451
Originally Posted by JMock View Post
yes, thatís fine

its just a tedious process
even if you complete the pre approval they still ring someone

edited to add, donít forget to get the pre approval
Have made numerous calls to the various offices involved...
Still unclear what you mean by ďpre-approvalĒ.
Home Affairs confirmed no exemption required as resident for 20+ years.
CX say Passport and HK PID required at Checkin, that is all. So what other ďpre-approvalĒ is required??
bekolblockage is offline  
Old 26th Jun 2020, 01:17
  #72 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Hongkers
Posts: 451
Originally Posted by Farman Biplane View Post
Employer ID will be helpful as well to prove you are returning aircrew (assuming you are) which is one of the exemptions that Border Force have on their clearance.
Not returning crew.
ATC.
Absolved from exemption requirement due to HK residency is my understanding.
Catch is that this involves a domestic QF connection from BNE initially.
Are the QF checkin staff going to Ďget ití?
In the past, no big deal- show us your ID card. Now? Iím not convinced the whole thing wonít be a [email protected] - to use previous posters term.
bekolblockage is offline  
Old 26th Jun 2020, 09:07
  #73 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: HK
Posts: 43
Originally Posted by bekolblockage View Post
Have made numerous calls to the various offices involved...
Still unclear what you mean by ďpre-approvalĒ.
Home Affairs confirmed no exemption required as resident for 20+ years.
CX say Passport and HK PID required at Checkin, that is all. So what other ďpre-approvalĒ is required??

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help...9-enquiry-form

you know how Oz loves bureaucracy
Ive been away since 1969

Last edited by JMock; 26th Jun 2020 at 10:52.
JMock is offline  
Old 27th Jun 2020, 00:16
  #74 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: B050 No SAR No Details
Posts: 35
I was booked MEL-SYD-HKG, talked to a Borderforce officer when at the airport a few days prior (due to an abortive attempt to get to HK via Auckland) and he called the higher-ups to confirm that I could leave. The data he came back with had to do with how long, and how many times I had been in Oz since 2018. More of a double check regarding "ordinarily resident" in another country, so they aren't just assuming your PR HKID is valid.

When I flew the domestic sector to SYD, the MEL check-in staff asked to see my HKID but probably only because I asked if they could check the bags straight through to HKG. They couldn't check the bags through so had to hump them around the airport to International. At SYD, the Borderforce people were friendly and helpful and it only took a few minutes to get the clearance (gave them Passport, HKID and Crew ID) and got the impression that they checked my time in Oz on their computer. The officer in charge mentioned that I qualified on 2 fronts - PR in HK and Aircrew. The passport has a "hold" status put on it and when you check in the ground staff have to call through to get that lifted before issuing a boarding pass. Mostly painless.
mothy1583 is offline  
Old 27th Jun 2020, 17:01
  #75 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 176
Sounds like Eastern Europe in 1952
Joker89 is offline  
Old 27th Jun 2020, 22:39
  #76 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Asia
Posts: 515
Originally Posted by Joker89 View Post
Sounds like Eastern Europe in 1952
letís bring back 1989 then 😨
AQIS Boigu is offline  
Old 29th Jun 2020, 05:00
  #77 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Hongkers
Posts: 451
Originally Posted by mothy1583 View Post
I was booked MEL-SYD-HKG, talked to a Borderforce officer when at the airport a few days prior (due to an abortive attempt to get to HK via Auckland) and he called the higher-ups to confirm that I could leave. The data he came back with had to do with how long, and how many times I had been in Oz since 2018. More of a double check regarding "ordinarily resident" in another country, so they aren't just assuming your PR HKID is valid.

When I flew the domestic sector to SYD, the MEL check-in staff asked to see my HKID but probably only because I asked if they could check the bags straight through to HKG. They couldn't check the bags through so had to hump them around the airport to International. At SYD, the Borderforce people were friendly and helpful and it only took a few minutes to get the clearance (gave them Passport, HKID and Crew ID) and got the impression that they checked my time in Oz on their computer. The officer in charge mentioned that I qualified on 2 fronts - PR in HK and Aircrew. The passport has a "hold" status put on it and when you check in the ground staff have to call through to get that lifted before issuing a boarding pass. Mostly painless.
Thanks for the advice Mothy. Just as you described.
Cruising past Lightning Ridge now on 100.
Almost fell foul of the Ďresidential statusí requirement due to regular trips back to Oz getting my total day count up.
Forewarned was forearmed so had required docs at hand.
Had me worried for a bit.
bekolblockage is offline  
Old 29th Jun 2020, 08:02
  #78 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Weltschmerz-By-The-Sea, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 851
Originally Posted by Joker89 View Post
Sounds like Eastern Europe in 1952
What? The Eastern Europe without a pandemic? Well, except for Victoria, which could use a few weeks of Stasi action.
Australopithecus is online now  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.