Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Fragrant Harbour
Reload this Page >

Converting to HKCAD ATPL

Fragrant Harbour A forum for the large number of pilots (expats and locals) based with the various airlines in Hong Kong. Air Traffic Controllers are also warmly welcomed into the forum.

Converting to HKCAD ATPL

Old 10th Nov 2013, 05:22
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Going home
Posts: 297
Converting to HKCAD ATPL

Has anyone recently converted their ICAO ATPL to the HKCAD ATPL? The following circular suggests that the previous minimum of 2800 hours TT no longer applies, and all that's required is 1500 hours (with stipulations).

If one meets the hourly requirements as stipulated below, are there further ground theory exams that are required for the conversion? If so, which subjects?

Thanks in advance.


PHONE +852 2910 6174 (ISO 9001 CERTIFIED)
AIC 12 / 12
26 May 2012

Flight Crew Licensing Policies for the Grant of a Hong Kong Airline Transport Pilotís Licence (Aeroplanes)

1. This circular serves to promulgate the following revisions in the policies adopted by Hong Kong Civil Aviation Department (HKCAD) regarding the grant of a Hong Kong Airline Transport Pilotís Licence (Aeroplanes) (HK ATPL(A)) under the Air Navigation (Hong Kong) Order 1995.

2. The minimum flying experience requirement for the grant of a HK ATPL(A), whether by conversion of another ICAO-State issued ATPL(A) or by upgrading a HK Commercial Pilotís Licence (Aeroplanes) (HK CPL(A)), shall be 1500 hours of flight time as a pilot of aeroplanes, including at least:
a. 500 hours in multi-pilot operations on civil registered transport aircraft that are certificated for multi-crew operations according to the manufacturerís aircraft flight manual; and
b. (i) 500 hours as pilot-in-command (PIC) under supervision; or
(ii) 250 hours as PIC; or
(iii) 250 hours, including at least 70 hours as PIC, and the remaining as PIC under supervision; and

c. 200 hours of cross-country flight time of which at least 100 hours shall be as PIC or as PIC under supervision; and
d. 75 hours of instrument time of which not more than 30 hours may be instrument ground time; and
e. 100 hours of night flight as PIC or co-pilot.

3. Of the 1500 hours of flight time mentioned in paragraph 2 above, up to 100 hours of flight time may have been completed as a pilot under instruction in a Full Flight Simulator (FFS) and Flight and Navigation Procedures Trainer (FNPT), of which not more than 25 hours shall have been acquired in an FNPT.

4. Holders of a helicopter pilot licence may be credited with flight time up to a maximum of 50% of all the experience requirements stated in paragraph 2 above.

5. Holders of a flight engineerís licence issued by HK or another ICAO State may be credited with 50% of the flight engineer time up to a maximum credit of 250 hours for the purpose of meeting the 1500 hours requirement and the 500 hours requirement stated in paragraph 2a above.

6. When counting the flying experience recorded in personal flying log book(s), flight time logged by a pilot licence holder when acting as co-pilot at a pilot station of an aircraft certificated for multi-pilot operations, i.e. under the capacity of P2 and/or P2X, shall be counted at full rate for
the purpose of licence upgrade.

7. The above policy changes shall take effect from the date of this circular and shall supersede the flying experience requirements as per CAD 54 Part 3 Chapter 2 paragraph 2.6 and the conditions as per CAD 54 Part 3 Chapter 3 paragraphs 3.7.2 and 3.7.4.

8. CAD 54 Ė Requirements Document Pilot Licences and Associated Ratings will be amended accordingly in due course.

9. Consequential to the above policy revisions, a surge in the number of application for upgrade to HK ATPL(A) is expected. In the circumstance, HKCAD Personnel Licensing Office may not be able to meet the currently published performance pledge of 3.5 working days.

10. For enquiry, please contact Personnel Licensing Officer on telephone number (852) 2769
8819 or 2769 7549 or fax (852) 2329 8595 or email to [email protected].
____________________________________________________________ _
This Circular is issued for information, guidance and necessary action
By direction of the Director-General of Civil Aviation
Norman LO
VH DSJ is offline  
Old 10th Nov 2013, 05:59
  #2 (permalink)  
Join Date: May 2009
Location: HKG
Age: 43
Posts: 975
I seem to remember hearing somewhere that a requirement is also to have the need for one such as employed by a company operating HKG registered aircraft. I don't think an individual can just turn up and convert their license after passing the required exams etc. If you have a job operating HKG registered aircraft then your flt ops department should know.

Before going any further I suggest calling the HKCAD and asking if you are eligible to convert your ICAO license without current employment in HKG, if that is the situation you are in.
SloppyJoe is offline  
Old 10th Nov 2013, 06:20
  #3 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Going home
Posts: 297
Thanks SloppyJoe for the advice. I'm not currently employed by a HK operator, but am considering applying to one soon. Just researching what the license conversion process involves.
VH DSJ is offline  
Old 12th Nov 2013, 06:01
  #4 (permalink)  
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bouvet Island
Posts: 110
Has anybody heard whether any SO's have gone through the upgrade to ATP from CPL? It apparently seems to be discouraged by CX but not impossible? I've got all the hours from previous flying but just the infamous P2X rating.

Any takers on this one?
plainpilot11 is offline  
Old 12th Nov 2013, 06:24
  #5 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 754
It apparently seems to be discouraged by CX
I think you've been very badly misinformed.

Quite the opposite in fact. Pilots get "reminder" emails from the fleet office if they haven't upgraded their CPL to ATPL. (because they can't be relief without the ATPL.)
broadband circuit is offline  
Old 12th Nov 2013, 10:14
  #6 (permalink)  
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Asia
Posts: 517
When you get hired by a HKG company they will provide the appropriate study materials for your license conversion...
AQIS Boigu is offline  
Old 13th Nov 2013, 05:01
  #7 (permalink)  
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bouvet Island
Posts: 110
Yes, however on the NTC a while back it said that "It is HKCAD policy to only issue HK ATPLs to pilots who have a P1 rating on an air transport type."

However I've called the CAD and they seem to think only CX can apply for that conversion. I finally got someone to say bring your logbook and 1100HKD down and we'll see what we can do.

Let you know.
plainpilot11 is offline  
Old 27th Dec 2013, 09:59
  #8 (permalink)  
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: UK
Age: 38
Posts: 1
Does anyone know what the definition of cross country flight time is for a HK conversion is?
Is it only single pilot landaways, or does multicrew commercial count?
Not sure I'd have 200hrs before I started flying commercially.
H_A_L is offline  
Old 27th Dec 2013, 17:19
  #9 (permalink)  
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wherever I lay my hat.
Posts: 111
Not sure I'd have 200 hrs before I started flying commercially....

Gone are the days when guys learned to fly because it was a passion. Gone are the days when young pilots cut their teeth flying small aircraft around the bush, loading bags, refuelling, flight planning.....TALKING TO THEIR PASSENGERS....solving problems.... Nowadays it's guys wanting to do a quick cadetship paid for by the employer and straight into the jumpseat of a 777. Then immediately asking the busy cabin crew for a cappuccino. And they wonder why people have ZERO respect for them.....
Kasompe is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.