Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Non-Airline Forums > Private Flying
Reload this Page >

Help Keep Airfield Open

Wikiposts
Search
Private Flying LAA/BMAA/BGA/BPA The sheer pleasure of flight.

Help Keep Airfield Open

Search this Thread

Old 27th Jan 2003, 21:34

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help Keep Airfield Open

A friend who flew into Southend at the weekend tells me that the CAA requirement to put in safety areas at the runway ends (RESAs?) is at a critical stage. Apparently the planning application has gone in to the local council, and is now subject to the usual processes involved with a planning application. Of course there are many vociferous 'anti-airports' trying to stop this plan, not so many pro..... The council obviously has to consider responses from all sides when making it's decision.

The airport authority says that these safety areas must be implemented one way or another, in order to maintain the airport licence. If they dont get the planning go-ahead for the safety areas, then it won't be economically viable even to maintain the airport as it is at present, which would probably result in it's closure long term, and being turned into shopping mall/lorry depot or some such similar.

I, for one, have got out of more than one difficult situation by diverting into Southend when caught out by the weather. It would be an absolute disaster IMHO, for aviation to lose one of the last G.A. Airports in the London area, especially one with such a good weather record. If staying open means a few more commercial aircraft, that is a price worth paying, as far as I'm concerned.

If anyone wants to comment on the development to go ahead (and thereby keep the airport sustainable and open), or otherwise, the local authority planning application nos. to quote are:

SOS/03/0010/FUL and SOS/03/0011/LBC.

The address is:
Planning Department
Southend Borough Council
Floor 10, Civic Centre
Victoria Avenue
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
SS2 6ER

Contact Southend Council Planning
Old 28th Jan 2003, 08:03

Comments before 10th Feb please.

The runway at SND has a railway at one end and open fields at the other. The cost & disruption of burying the railway is enormous, but at the SW end is a rather attractive Norman Church. This lies within the vertical restrictions of the runway. The proposal is to pick up the Church & move it. The airport will also build a community centre, carpark and donate land to increase the size of the graveyard.
Old 28th Jan 2003, 09:09
PPruNaholic!

I used the link above to submit the following - took me less than 1 minute: I urge others to do the same!
Regarding SOS/03/0010/FUL and SOS/03/0011/LBC, I would like to say that I believe this proposal should go ahead because this will enable the airport to remain viable.

As a private pilot, I have often used Southend during the last year. Airports such as Southend provide valuable jobs, and consitute an important component of the UK's general aviation infrastructure.

Arguably, the airport creates less noise and disruption for local residents than the inevitable industrial estate and associated traffic that would inevitably spring up in its place, as has been seen elsewhere.

I hope this submission is helpful.

With regards,

Andy Hardy
I too have used the airfield for weather diversion (recently, late last year, on my way to Manston), as well as for planned visits.

Last edited by Aussie Andy; 28th Jan 2003 at 09:41.
Old 28th Jan 2003, 09:33

COME ON EVERYONE

Lets see just how many can use the link posted above to voice their support for Southend, as we did for Rochester.

Deserves another Sticky perhaps to draw full attention to it.

It took me all of 2 minutes to do, based on Aussie Andy's reply.

We all have a vested interest in supporting these applications.

REMEMBER ALL REPLIES TO BE IN BY 10TH FEBRUARY 2003
Old 28th Jan 2003, 11:57

Another one sent to Southend on Sea Borough Council today.

Good Luck
Old 28th Jan 2003, 13:11

Another one just sent.

Good luck.
Old 29th Jan 2003, 07:33

Sub Judice Angel Lovegod

My contribution:

I am writing to support the development of Southend Airport.

We are an international software house, based in the UK but with offices all over the world. A great deal of our travel is by light aircraft, which provide us with the flexibility to travel widely and make effective use of our time. We judge the economic viability of a city by the proximity of a GA airport.

Southend is one of the two finest GA airfields in the South East, arguably in the country (the other being Biggin Hill) and the only one in the SE which is available 24 hours a day.

It is a gem of a resource, and a major contributor to flight safety.

It is much easier to drive an existing airport to closure than to open a new one, and if Southend Council fail to support the airfield they will risk reducing the economic standing and status of the area irreversibly.
Old 29th Jan 2003, 08:46

I forgot to mention earlier that in addition to picking up the tag for moving the Church, the airport will also pay for any minor structural repairs that need to made to the Church.

The Church will be placed on a concrete base, which means for the first time in its history, the Church will be on a solid foundation, (physical rather than spiritual).

The Church Council could take this opportunity to install up to date heating, lighting and security at this point and to sell the film rights. I'm sure that there must be an opportunity for the documentary; 'How we moved a Church'; or the human interest; 'A David & Goliath struggle - a small airports struggle to survive in the face of nation wide opposition' (Removes tongue from cheek)

But seriously - Church stays, Airport closes.

And I haven't even mentioned 'historic Battle of Britain airfield
Old 29th Jan 2003, 09:45

Sub Judice Angel Lovegod

If this is to be a fight between The Church (and the Southend Diocese in particular) and Southend Airport....

Where's Keef?!?!
Old 29th Jan 2003, 10:45

Just to report another one sent, and helping to keep the thread at the top.

RD
Old 29th Jan 2003, 14:41

Just a rather more long winded post to say I've sent an e-mail too. Good luck. Apparently contrary to common sense brevity of less than 20 characters is frowned upon by the powers that be!!
Old 29th Jan 2003, 16:09

Sent mine off today, really hope they get the go-ahead for this much needed injection of economic activity to the area. I well remember flying out as passenger to Yugoslavia and Majorca... look forward to being able to do again from Southend..
Old 30th Jan 2003, 09:50

somehow I nearly overlooked this thread - perhaps it should be a sticky?

e-mail and hardcopy letter sent today.

Slip
Old 31st Jan 2003, 00:13

Official PPRuNe Chaplain

Sorry - wossup? Someone call? Oh, hi there, WC.

Yes, this is in the Diocese of Chelmsford, and it's a delightful church that I know. I've taken services and preached there. It's OLD (even older than me), and Grade 1 listed and all the rest.

I signed my letter many months ago, in support of the airport, but with some other observations.

Sadly, someone later made a tactical error: they offered the option of demolishing the Church and building a nice new one nearby or somewhere else. Red rags and bulls isn't in it! I'm staying below the parapet till calm returns.

Churches have been moved before (as have lighthouses). Not easy, but the professionals can do it. The church would indeed be stronger after than before, and the restoration fund wouldn't be needed for a century or two.

But some twit had to offer to demolish the Church... Bit like offering to demolish Windsor Castle to safeguard Heathrow and build a nice community centre on White Waltham instead.
Old 31st Jan 2003, 06:16

Received 329 Likes on 115 Posts
Have e-mailed Sarfen council in support of these applications. Good luck!!
Old 31st Jan 2003, 07:17

Sub Judice Angel Lovegod

keef

Maybe I'm missing the point, but what's wrong with demolishing churches? or indeed The Church?

W

BTW, I don't like the new smilies, how do we vote to get the old ones back?
Old 31st Jan 2003, 11:40

There is an architectural monstrosity of a Church in Eastbourne that would benefit from being demolished, but St Lawrences' is the archetypal English country Church and to suggest demolishing it is an affront.

Move it - yes, demolish it - NO WAY!
Old 31st Jan 2003, 13:42

Official PPRuNe Chaplain

WC - it's largely emotional. "My granny was married here, and it's been here since 1000 AD, and I don't think those [pick your own pejorative adjectives and nouns] at the airport have any right to knock it down." I've found sometimes that opposition to "development" in the Church comes from those outside who want it to "be there" even if they never come. Sometimes they oppose actions the Church congregation itself is totally in agreement about.

Demolishing the Church as an institution - feel free. But what do you plan to put into its place to mark the rites of passage, and to provide pastoral and spiritual care to those of a less robust confidence than yourself?

And what might God think of that? (I know you don't believe in him, but he assures me he believes in you.)
Old 31st Jan 2003, 14:07

Sub Judice Angel Lovegod

Demolishing the Church as an institution - feel free. But what do you plan to put into its place to mark the rites of passage, and to provide pastoral and spiritual care to those of a less robust confidence than yourself?

And what might God think of that? (I know you don't believe in him, but he assures me he believes in you.)
Leaving God out of this, I believe in BRL and I think he is going to cast a thunderbolt any sec.....
Old 4th Feb 2003, 17:16

Only 18 replies out of 50,000 plus??!!! Come on pilots, you can really make a difference. Don't leave it until it is too late! Once the decision is made to close the airport, it will be too late to start protesting then!!

The local population has been bombarded with mis-leading info delivered through there letterboxes,on the plans for the airport, and there are already hundreds of anti airport letters in the process of being sent to the council...

So go on, put pen to paper (or whatever the computer equivalent is) and do your bit to restack the odds.

Thinks Mr Council Planner: 'How many communications against the application? OK, now how many for??'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.