Wikiposts
Search
Flight Testing A forum for test pilots, flight test engineers, observers, telemetry and instrumentation engineers and anybody else involved in the demanding and complex business of testing aeroplanes, helicopters and equipment.

Eurofighter Prang

Search this Thread

Old 22nd Nov 2002, 19:25

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Eurofighter Prang

The following was posted on the Eurofighter website today. I'm sure we're all grown-up enough not to engage in uninformed conjecture, but equally if anybody knows any further (and unclassified) facts, I've no doubt we'd all be interested. I for one am very glad to hear that the crew were completely unharmed. I imagine that this is the first live use of that particular Martin Baker seat?

G

During a routine test flight in the mountainous Toledo region of Spain the twin-seat Eurofighter Typhoon DA6 was involved in an air incident that resulted in the loss of the aircraft. The aircrew, EADS CASA Chief Test Pilot, Eduardo Cuadrado and Spanish Air Force OTC Pilot, Ignacio Lombo, ejected safely from the aircraft and returned to the EADS-CASA Flight Test Centre in Getafe. Following medical checks both were released from care.

The incident occurred approximately 15 minutes after take off from Getafe Flight Test Centre over the Military Flight Test Range near Toledo (Poligono de Pruebas de Anchuras). The aircraft was flying level at 45,000ft at a speed of Mach 0.7. In accordance with pre agreed procedures for the use of development aircraft an investigation panel has been formed to establish the cause of the accident.

Eurofighter Typhoon DA6 is one of seven development aircraft in the programme. To date the DA-fleet has accumulated more than 2,000 flight test hours. DA6 has accumulated 362 missions for 326 flying hours. In addition, three Instrumented Production Aircraft (IPA) recently joined the flight test programme.

The Eurofighter Flight Test programme has an exemplary Flight Safety Record. This recent event is the only air accident to have occured in the Eurofighter development and flight test programme.

Like all DA-series aircraft, DA6 is fitted with specialized Flight Test Instrumentation and Flight Data Recorders. Real time data covering every aircraft system and parameter is sent to the Flight Test Centre throughout every flight for analysis.

Based on established processes for military air accidents the investigation will be headed by the Spanish Accident Investigation Agency (CITAM - Comision Investigacion Tecnica Accidentes Militares) on behalf of NETMA and the four Eurofighter partner nations.

In accordance with existing protocols Eurofighter will provide support to the investigation through a designated Eurofighter Accident Surveillance Team.
Old 27th Nov 2002, 11:14

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry to disapoint Genghis, but this will be the 3rd and 4th tinme a Mk 16 seat has been used in "anger". The frst use of a 16 went to an American female pilot.
Worked as advertised!