Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Other Aircrew Forums > Flight Testing
Reload this Page >

French/German Test Pilot Licences

Wikiposts
Search
Flight Testing A forum for test pilots, flight test engineers, observers, telemetry and instrumentation engineers and anybody else involved in the demanding and complex business of testing aeroplanes, helicopters and equipment.

French/German Test Pilot Licences

Search this Thread

Old 18th Sep 2002, 12:30

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question French/German Test Pilot Licences

Would somebody please clarify exactly what privileges are (were?= JAA) conferred by these qualifications.
Thanks.
Old 29th Sep 2002, 21:08

Just trying to stir a reply!
Thought this would be a quick route to the answer.
Looks like I'll have to 'phone a friend' on this one....or does somebody want to contribute an answer, please?
BTW, this isn't a wannabee enquiry. (I am a tp.)
Old 29th Sep 2002, 22:03

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
I have to admit that, whilst I have met holders of said licenses, I don't honestly know the specific privileges.

I'd suggest if you've contacts there giving somebody at ETPS or EPNER a ring, who might help. If you do find the answer, please do enlighten the rest of us.

G
Old 1st Oct 2002, 16:52

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello idle

For the french TP.....

License holder can be Captain/ PIC on ANY aircraft (eg fighter, transport, airliner, light twin, amphibian..) for :
1. test flight
2. acceptance flight
3. ferry flight
4. non-commercial flight

which is quite a bit (ah the loved memory..)

Those privileges stay with the holder as long as he is assigned to a test organisation (governement or industry), performing test flights on a regular basis. They disappear when being reassigned.

So, as an example, you will fly as PIC, C130 in the morning, Jaguar in the afternoon, and a little bit of PC7 before driving back home. The day after it will be Falcon 20, Mirage 2000 and Super-Etendard. You will also enjoy Mirage III, Cessna 310, Breguet Atlantic ... and try to avoid meetings as much as you can :-)

All in all, quite interesting. Of course, back in the regular AF and flying Mirage every day , nobody will give you any longer the
same C130 !

And I don't speak about trying (many years later) to sell this CV (and associated flight hours) to the Chief Pilot of an airline.....

He will simply not understand the idea, and behave as if he hasn't heard anything to save himself from embarassment - at least, or should he understand the concept, he will feel his position threatened.

BTW, it seems that a TP position is for life in the german system, when in the french system it's just a 4 years assignment after TP Course - unless you gain a position outside the MOD, in the industry. But then the inventory of aircraft will be drastically smaller (eg Airbus or Dassault) - another life, in fact.

I wish you many good flights.ANY

Hmmh... ANY at the end of the previous post is a typing error

Hmmh... ANY at the end of the previous post is a typing error
Old 2nd Oct 2002, 08:33

Thanks for your reply, recceguy.
Licence privileges rather more than I had thought!
I renew the second point of my original post. I presume these privileges still exist on an 'national' basis alongside the JAA licence system. I think there may have been some discussion on the subject when JAR FCL was in early stages, but it was ruled out as a general JAR rating.
Anybody else care to comment, please?