Wikiposts
Search
Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

RAF-pilot

Search this Thread

Old 28th Aug 2002, 20:47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RAF-pilot

Can you help?

If you have sat the aptitude tests at OASC then you will know that there is about 6hrs worth of the mind drainers and that the first 5 tests are specifically for pilot aptitude, i was wondering

A: Am i correct in stating that it is it the first 5 tests that assess pilot aptitude and,

B: Scoring high enough in just these 5 tests marks wether you have the aptitude for pilot?

Thanks for any help

Regards 172
Old 28th Aug 2002, 21:25

Yes, I believe you are correct. It doesn’t hurt though to try your best at the other ones. Passing the first 5 and being a “Timmy!” at the others doesn’t look too good. Just like everything at OASC, try and get the best score you can. When I went through there was talk of getting an extra half final mark from getting above a certain level in the bleep test.
Old 29th Aug 2002, 09:27
Tbird

Topgun, i don't know about that RAF, but i know that the Navy now require you to pass all of the test to be put forward to the AIB for pilot. Yes the first 5 tests are for pilot, but the other tests for Oberver (Navigator) and ATC need to be passed as well.

Old 30th Aug 2002, 23:49

I was given the impression during my aptitude de-brief that the battery of tests returns data on a series of skill areas. To pass in a certain branch, you require a certain minimum score in a number of select skill areas. Whether each test returns results on only one skill area, I don't know. I would be inclined to say no, as there was only one or two result indications for memory ability but many tasks that involved remembering things.

Funnily, I scored 3 in numerical recall and one other, but got two 8s, and the rest were 9 and 9* (stanines). I knew I was bad at memory tasks, so imagine my suprise when the Boarding Officer said he thought I had a photographic memory. Doh!

Not that it mattered, cause I'm perspex equipped in the vision department. Bring on the Blunty trade list baby...

Incidentally, I seem to recall people passing Pilot but not Nav or Fighter Controller, and vice-versa.
Old 2nd Sep 2002, 07:30

Twas a long time ago (biggin) but when I sat mine, they pulled out the fail letter for a long list of departments I hadn't even applied for!

I passed my pilot aptitude tests, but because I failed the Nav ones, that was it as far as flying in the RAF went.

The Navy, however, were happy with those scores for flying training. Why I didn't end up going there is a different story. It appears that even this has changed thoughfrom what was said earlier.

Basically, if you do well at everything, then you broaden your opportunities, even to the extent of a branch change to ATC or similar if you are chopped during flying training.

Best of luck
Old 2nd Sep 2002, 08:22
smartman

1961 saw me scrape through Hornchuch --------. I was recommended for Nav training, but (presumably) I had just hacked enough points to pass the pilot bit and, as there was a (presumably again) shorfall in pilot recruiting, the Board thankfully sent me off to pilot training. So I guess it pays to ignore what goes on behind the scenes, and try your best at everything.

I love navigators.

STANDTO

I agree with the painting bit - any chance of having a peek at your work on an e-mail ?? I'd be happy to let you have a peek at some of my rubbish too ---------------

Old 2nd Sep 2002, 09:56

Its Interesting,

When I did the Flight Aptitudes for the RN, I passed Pilot with good scores, but failed obs with pretty poor scores, however they still let me through to AIB. I was told that they usually want you to pass both of them, however I beleive fighter controller isnt required, but I'm not sure. But its worth remembering how many intakes a year the RN have, how many aircrew on each intake they have, and how many would have passed all the aptitudes, unfortunately even if you get put foward to AIB, failing the observer tests can prove to be a hindrance in the long run, and I presume the same is true for the RAF.

Regards,
Rusty.

Last edited by Rusty Cessna; 2nd Sep 2002 at 10:01.
Old 3rd Sep 2002, 12:52

SMARTMAN

I've sent you a private message.

Drop me a line via email on my profile if you don't get it
Old 3rd Sep 2002, 21:44

Thanks for all your help guys, anyone know at all of anywhere where i can get hold of something to help me prepare for the numerical and statistical side of those wreched tests

Thanks
Regards

Chris
Old 3rd Sep 2002, 22:12

Chris,

www.timc.clara.net has some good speed distance time calculations on it. Get some Psychometric testing books, they can help. Fly flight sims if you can, they are reported to give some help. Also practice lots of simple mathmatics, revise all your GCSE maths notes, and try to learn as many variables of 60mph as possible.

For example if you are going at 60 mile an hour thats a mile every minute, 30 miles an hour is a mile every two minutes, 6 miles an hour is a mile every 10 mins etc etc. It can sometimes work out to be easier than doing the whole time = distance/speed x 60/1 routine.

Regards,
Rusty.
Old 3rd Sep 2002, 22:56

Topgun, took the tests about 3 weeks ago, for pilot scholarship. Passed all areas, but know people who only passed the battery 5 pilot aptitude tests. You have to remember that the asessment throughout OASC is ongoing, and passing other aptitudes will look good when the board finally sit down to make a decision. The only pilot aptitude test you may be able to do slight revision for is the digit re-call test. I did pants in that test, but did well enough in the others to get a pass for pilot. All the other tests are reasonably straight forward, i.e. the angle estimations. Drop us an e-mail if you have any more Q's. Oh yeah, did anyone know that once you have passed the aptitudes you don't have to do them again, I know it makes sense, but came as a pleasant surprise! TMA