Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Non-Airline Forums > Private Flying
Reload this Page >

OK, somebody come to my rescue! (aimed at anyone who flies in the vicinity of London)

Wikiposts
Search
Private Flying LAA/BMAA/BGA/BPA The sheer pleasure of flight.

OK, somebody come to my rescue! (aimed at anyone who flies in the vicinity of London)

Search this Thread

Old 28th Aug 2002, 14:38

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question OK, somebody come to my rescue! (aimed at anyone who flies in the vicinity of London)

If someone was based in central London and wanted to go fly at weekends, but didn't have a car, which airport would you recommend?

(i.e. which have rail or bus links?)

P.S. It's not me, but I was asked and have NO time to investigate today or tomorrow. Please help, you get to chastise me for being lazy !!!
Old 28th Aug 2002, 14:45

Why do it if it's not fun?

I don't think there are any airfields with rail or bus links direct from London, but most of the airfields near London will have a station which is close enough to get a taxi.

My personal recommendation would be White Waltham, which is where I fly from. It's about £6 by cab from Maidenhead station (which I've done once or twice when the car's been in the garage, or when I've been drinking), and it's just about walking distance, too, if your friend doesn't mind a half-hour walk.

FFF
-------------
Old 28th Aug 2002, 14:47

Cool

Denham is a good bet. I did my PPL there without a car and didn't find it a problem. Trains leave from Marlybone every half hour to 45 mins. Takes 30 mins to Denham station then a 15 min walk to the airfield.

I'm planning on training for my CPL at Stapleford which again is commutable but I think it takes a bit longer to get there as the tube and bus has to be used!!
Old 28th Aug 2002, 15:08

City Airport or there is a small one at Heathrow if you are keen
Old 28th Aug 2002, 15:15

Arrow

Ha-Haa! Better watch out Elvis, you're gonna cut yourself one of these days!

Thanks for responding FFF and Pilot O'

Does anybody have an idea if places like Elstree, Blackbushe or Redhill are an option by rail? Indeed, are there any others?

Last edited by Haul By Cable; 28th Aug 2002 at 15:41.
Old 28th Aug 2002, 15:48

Thumbs up

Rochester frequent trains from several London main line stations 45 minutes from Victoria to Chatham (the airports actually mainly in Chatham) regular bus at least every half hour sometimes more frequent the 101 from Chatham Station to Maidstone stops right outside airport maingate.Hotel on airport everything you need and its a prtetty friendly field.
Old 28th Aug 2002, 15:52

For Elstree you can get the Thameslink to Elstree station (from London Bridge / Blackfriars / Farringdon / Kings Cross) then it's a 10 min taxi - about £8 IIRC. All-in both ways adds about £20 to each flight
Old 28th Aug 2002, 16:05

Thumbs up

Stampe and Wrong Stuff, thankyou!

This is really useful info, please keep it coming

I can search the web for lots of info on the airports themselves (I don't know the London area), but they rarely mention how to get there if you don't have a car.

(Why should they? I guess if you're on a bike they're not looking for your kind of business?!!)
Old 28th Aug 2002, 16:35

Smile

There's also 'London Luton' Airport. Good rail and bus links from Kings Cross/St Pancras plus you get the commercial experience from your very first lesson. Believe me, it's daunting!!
Old 28th Aug 2002, 22:12

The cheapest way I've found to Elstree, although you have to like walking and have a bit of time, is:

Jubilee line to Stanmore.
Walk to Canons Corner (about 10-15 mins)
Bus to Elstree village - sorry, forget which one, but if you turn right out of Stanmore station and then left at the roundabout, it stops at the bus stop there (Approx. 10 min journey, bus frequency is about 20-30 mins)
Walk to airfield (a further half hour odd)

As I said, you have to have a fair bit of time!
Old 28th Aug 2002, 22:21

Stappleford is close to Theydon Bois underground stn
Old 29th Aug 2002, 09:17

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Careful when you take the tube to Plaistow, its a very good microlight centre, but about 20 miles from the tube station for some reason.
Old 29th Aug 2002, 11:38

Denham is the money shot. I do some PPL hire from there, and don't have a car .

Interesting airfield, with some quality flying schools. Interesting interaction with the London TMA to boot!

As described earlier, its 30 mins from Marylebone and a 15 min walk.
Old 29th Aug 2002, 23:22

Go for Denham

Hi there

I second the proposal for Denham and not being biased I would try The Pilot Centre. (www.egld.com/tpcwelc.htm) Contains info for Denham airfield and The Pilot Centre.

The Pilot Centre is run by Chris Leach and the tel no. is 01895 833838

As stated before you can either take a train from Marleybone to Denham station or you can go on the Metropolitan or Picadilly line to Uxbridge Station. You can then either take the 331 bus and then a 15 min walk or take a cab for £8.50.
Old 30th Aug 2002, 10:10

If you do consider Stapleford (where I did my PPL, and a very nice place to boot) ... it's got a bus sevice from either Theydon Bois or Debden stations on the Central Line, or Romford. If I remember correctly it's wither the 501 or the 502 bus, and costs about £2 single from either place. Buses every half hour or so.
Old 30th Aug 2002, 13:10

I was going to also recommend The Pilot Centre in my earlier posting, but was worried it was advertising!

A friendly bunch, great instructors and a well kept/kitted fleet with good availability.
Old 30th Aug 2002, 14:30

I'm with Cabair at Denham - good but pricey.

Echo all comments about access to the airfield - I get there from the East End of London where I'm based without too much drama. Nice informal little airfield too....
Old 31st Aug 2002, 19:39

I fly the mighty Bulldog from North Weald which is fairly convenient. Central Line to Epping then a £10 cab ride.
Old 31st Aug 2002, 22:13

Official PPRuNe Chaplain

... or go a bit further on the Liverpool Street line, get off at Rochford, and get a taxi to Southend (EGMC). Five minutes max in the taxi. Has Approach and Tower, NDB and ILS, and several flying schools.

Also has Customs and Special Branch, so you can do your foreign trips - even go to Calais for circuits, where it's cheaper and more fun...

The only drawback: you might meet me there.
Old 1st Sep 2002, 07:51

Thumbs up for The Pilot Centre, Denham.

Pistol - Chris may run the desk, but I think you will find it is Eva's train set.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.