Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

Royal Navy pilots please come in!

Wikiposts
Search
Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

Search this Thread

Old 23rd Aug 2002, 15:56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This post won't be original.
I've recently had my fifth Royal Navy interview, and it looks very likely that after 6th form i'll be going to Navy college on pilot officer training and general Navy study,and then onto University.

Has anybody been through this and is willing to share any thoughts or comments??

Also as so many my ultimate goal is to be in the left hand seat of a certain four engined jet from Boeing.....one day.
I've heard so many stories that the chances of getting there through flying fixed wing in the RAF is so much better!-is this so or....??
Please help im a confused seventeen year old, RAF or Navy??
(Sorry about the length of this post, thanks to anybody who reads it)
cool:

Sorry anybody reply not just Navy pilots
Old 23rd Aug 2002, 17:34

I'd say your post is fairly original!

I just wonder if its possible to enter the forces as a professional military pilot with an underlying motivation centred on flying airliners!

Good luck to you,

JH
Old 23rd Aug 2002, 17:49

I kind of get what your saying, if i was in the military i'd be 100% commited no questions asked, i don't know what life will hold for me i could stay in the military for the rest of my life, or i could break my back tomorrow playing Rugby and that would be it for me.
Ideally an airline career would be my goal, but hey im not fussy AT ALL and any chance to fly i could get i would grab with both hands.
Old 23rd Aug 2002, 18:13

Ask WEBF, I think he's been to see the Navy.
Old 23rd Aug 2002, 18:41

Do you want to be in the Navy or do you want to have the MoD pay for your flying training so you can leave as soon as you have enough experience to be attractive to the airlines?

Training in the military is extremely tough, mentally and physically demanding. If you are not 100% up for it you will struggle. Far from everyone who starts the military flying training makes it to flying fast jets. And if you make it you will be required to remain in the service for at least 5 or 6 years from when you make it to the front line, which is a long time if you dont really want to be there.

If its Boeing you really want, perhaps thats where you should go to start with and leave the Navy to those who really want it.
Old 23rd Aug 2002, 19:02

S283, you will be going to Dartmouth to conduct officer training not pilot officer training! Concur the sentiments expressed above - what exactly do you want? If it's free flying training you will get found out PDQ and you will struggle, especially when stuck on dartmoor with the biffs, cold, wet, hungry, tired, pissed off etc. It won't seem that glamourous then! If - If you make it through you will then be stuck on one of Her Majesty's finest greys trying to muster the Naffi spirits, write up your division, fend off sh*te from the jimmy and oh then worry about going flying. I suggest that you find out what is really involved by going to a POC and speaking to some that are already there. Even sitting in a shiny commercial jet ain't all that it's cracked up to be -especially since last year.

Good luck whatever you do though

PS and judging by the way President Tony is going you'll get your backside shot down before you even sit your ATPL exams!

Last edited by MaxAOB; 23rd Aug 2002 at 19:08.
Old 23rd Aug 2002, 22:00

"If it's free flying training you will get found out PDQ and you will struggle, especially when stuck on dartmoor with the biffs, cold, wet, hungry, tired, pissed off etc. It won't seem that glamourous then! "

Thats what I was looking for someone to say to you, Speedbird!

I really think to succeed in the armed forces you are going to need to WANT to fly only for whatever force you choose and nothing else.......and you WILL get found out if your motivation is otherwise!

Mind you, your last post made a bit more sense.

Just do it for the right reasons - perhaps try and realise that within the forces you will be able to fly a variety of aircraft in a variety of situations (for want of a better expression) and it certainly wont be airline SOP's!!

It'll be good! So go for it in its own right! Also - look around you at the civil market if you've been on the forum a while!

All the best, and good luck

JH
Old 24th Aug 2002, 12:01

First of all a VERY BIG THANKS to everyone who replied, this forum is fantastic compared to some out there you guys(or girls) really know what your on about.
If i got into the Navy/RAF i'd be so grateful or content, and i'd be 100% commited, but come on how many pliots go through the military with the airline career at the back of there mind??-quite a few i expect.
Oh and as regards Dartmour, i just came back on thursday from 4 days/60 miles of walking for Gold DofE at Ben Nevis, so im starting to get accumstomed to that area of the military, allthough its A LOT harder in the Military i know.

THANKS TO EVERYONE
Old 24th Aug 2002, 14:03

Unhappy Stepping stone or a career?

Speedbird
I agree with Timszta and J-Heller. If you join as a flyer in the RN or RAF, you will be an officer first and a flyer second. In the Army you are a soldier, first and foremost, above everything. There are a great many other things that will be part of your everyday life that will push flying further down the list of the day's tasks. It won’t be a case of turn up, fly, and then poke off home - if that is your intention then the forces are not for you. Being able to walk Dartmoor is a small part of what is required - you will be expected to lead men and women in areas and situations you may have thought possible only in war stories.

If you are joining any of the flying forces with a view to joining the airlines, I think you are very forward thinking in mapping out your life. However, don't join the forces and take up the place of someone who wants to fly in the forces as a career rather than a stepping stone to their next job. Joining the airlines is most definitely not in the back, front or any part of my mind and I joined to do what I do now. Circumstances may change and I may change the direction of my thinking, but I am focused on now and my next couple of appointments continuing to fly in the RN.

If you want to be an airline pilot, then apply to the training school and join the airlines. If you join the forces, you may find that the flying and life far outweighs anything you will do in civvy street and decide to stay, if you get that far. Do beware, however, that the man who focuses on the last hurdle usually falls at the second.

Good luck in whatever you do.
Old 24th Aug 2002, 19:44

Don't get me wrong at all i am well aware that when your in the Armed Forces you there for a reason,and being called into action is an occupational requirement, don't worry i haven't overlooked that, i fully understand the duties of a military pilot.

Jockspice, thanks for the reply in particular, your where i want to be,would it be possible for you to tell me are you a fixed or rotary flyer,and is the RN everything you expected it to be or more?.
Sorry if i'm intruding a bit but it would be nice to get some.... i suppose inside information , the path you took etc.

THANKS
Old 24th Aug 2002, 21:05

I do not wish to be a pompous old fart, Speedbud, but if you really want to fly with the RAF or RN, which involves being commissioned, you might consider brushing up your written English. You could practise writing proper English sentences, with correct use of capitals, apostrophes, punctuation, spelling and grammar. Text messages will not impress the Board.
Old 24th Aug 2002, 21:36
Tbird

Speedbird, if you want to join the RN as a pilot then you first have to go through the recruitment process. The AIB in particular is an assessment of your personality and the powers that be on that course, with the amount of young recruits going through, will know exactly whether your heart is in joining the military or not. Of course this is all after you have passed your Aptitude Test, which is yet another hurdle to jump.

Remember they spend millions to train you to be a pilot and naturally they want to keep hold of you as long as possible. Especially as they are so short of pilots at the moment. It strikes me that if you are thinking about the airlines at this short distance along the track, then perhaps you should examine that option more fully.

Fly the fun stuff first and then go and watch over a computer doing the work. The military is a life experience that cannot be matched, but as everyone has said, it only works if you REALLY want it.

Last edited by Tbird; 24th Aug 2002 at 21:43.

Old 25th Aug 2002, 09:44

Thumbs up

Thanks for your comments Flatus Veteranus, I did not realise School started a week early, thanks for the English language advice. By the way its "Speedbird", not "Speedbud" if were going to get all critical, say hello to everybody in Devon for me, was in Ilfracombe last week, and lets just say the sunny homelands of Staffordshire seemed more appealing.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply,i have taken all the points and comments on board.
Old 25th Aug 2002, 19:49

I joind the RN a long time ago and have had a really good time. Flown Seakings, Wasps and Lynx and now just finished ATPLA ground exams and hope to get a job next year when I come out. I have seen many friends go through this and the I think it matters little if you have helo or fixed wing back ground. If you want it bad enough, you will succeed. It is true, however, that Virgin do like the Fast Jet boys and will actively recruit when it suits them. I also know some ex rotary boys with that airline.
If you want some excitement and colour go for the Navy. It is true that you are a Naval Officer first, but at the end of the day if you are a pilot then that is what you will do and "all the nice girls like a sailor" and the uniform doesn't harm. The Armed Forces will also give you a much broader perspective on life and enable you work alongside some real 'top drawer' people.

If the Navy offer you a job, I would take it and then look to the airlines later on. They will recognise your ability and experience and many of the chief pilots have a military background.

Good luck
Old 25th Aug 2002, 20:24

Well done, "Speedbud", a noticeable improvement already. "Speedbud" was how they used to pronounce it on RT - at least when I was queueing to land behind them at LA and O'Hare. Good luck.
Old 25th Aug 2002, 21:10

Nothing wrong with thinking ahead to a career post-military before you've even got in. I did exactly the same. My attitude towards joining the airlines hasn't changed since joining up and contrary to a lot of the "furrowed brow" responses you've been getting it didn't affect me before, during or after Flying Training. Enjoy mil flying until you've had enough then try something else.
Old 25th Aug 2002, 21:44

This has to be either :

A wind up (Speedbird - BA, as well as "The Team Works" - RN Sales anecdote).

Or Someone in the RN trying to investigate just how many matelots are on this site etc.

Its all a little too cosy!

If im wrong Speedbird then apologies all around!

If you want too fly, then just get on with it!

Old 25th Aug 2002, 22:43

Speedbird
Drop me a line at [email protected] and I will answer any questions you have. I don't want to swing the lamp too much on this forum, it upsets the crabs.
Old 26th Aug 2002, 15:24

Hi mutley four, your very observant aren't u , you could be a Naval Observer, or perhaps a BA observer .

Not quite sure what you were getting at but i can assure im not "Someone in the RN trying to investigate just how many matelots are on this site etc".

I actually live in California and work for the FBI, i'm just over in Blighty for the crack .
Old 26th Aug 2002, 19:45

Hmmmmmm

Neither BA or RN,

Try "Be the Best" which could also be "Above the best" but definately not "Above the Rest".

I fly in the military cos its easily the best flying you can get!

The team works! means the TEAM and not an individual who wants a fast pass to civvy street!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.