Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Dunnunda, Godzone and the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Essential PalmOS Software for pilots?

Wikiposts
Search
Dunnunda, Godzone and the Pacific An independent family of forums covering all aspects of the Australian/NZ aviation scene.

Essential PalmOS Software for pilots?

Search this Thread

Old 1st Aug 2002, 12:55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Essential PalmOS Software for pilots?

Saw the thread on Palm OS logbooks.

Any suggestions from the technologically addicted as to essential/useful palm OS software for we pilots?

Bought a m100 for AU$99 two weeks ago. I have tried eSixB+ as a whizz-wheel replacement, PalmLog for flight logging, YAUC for unit conversions, solitaire for long day sectors, and skychart for long night sectors!

Any thoughts? Particularly looking for a ETP/CP and PNR calculator and fuel/fuelflow/distance/time calculator.
Old 1st Aug 2002, 14:57
Just call me Rotty

Go to palm.com and search Fly By Nav. Have used this one a little, works well for what it is. There's a couple others there too, haven't tried yet.
Old 2nd Aug 2002, 13:55

FlyBy E6B is nice, the CP calc part is good but the PNR does not cope with different SGR/SAR for DP or one inop cruise.
FlyBy Nav is interesting but i'm RPT with FMS onboard and planning isn't an issue.
Found a US weather provider as a channel on AvantGo that supplies aussie TAFS and METARS, not bad at all.
Thinks, what about a terminal program that interfaces with NAIPS? For submitting plans and getting weather, etc? Anyone tried that yet?
How about a development tool for writing my own PNR calc?
Do I need a life?
Old 2nd Aug 2002, 22:17
Agent86

For a NAIPS link try Command software. They have a system which can download Arfor/Taf/Notams from a suitably equipped IR phone. The only proviso is you have to use your own ISP dialup and can't use the 019 number ($95 registration)
Find it here Command Software

For a development tool for PNR's try Hotpaw basic. This can be used to write your own routines. I have made one for PNR's which will give normal/DP/OEI after you input FOB/FF/TAS/Wind/Dist to Alt. Saves a lot of scribbling

MAx

Old 2nd Aug 2002, 22:17

Have a look at Co Pilot (Davis). It is available from www.palmgear.com.

It is a flightplanning programme that also has a weight and balance capability. The latest version is 3.3.

It allows for an aircraft database to be built with sections for cruise performance, climb performance, fuel flows etc.
Even when planning trips at flight levels the sector times and fuel figures compare OK to that achieved from PC based planning programmes such as Champagne etc.

It will complete a Canadian, US and International flight plan.

It comes with (or at least did) a downloadable Australian place name database.

All in all, a handy back up for when away from the office and the laptop dies.

And unbelievably, considering the quality of the programme, it is completely free.