Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Ground & Other Ops Forums > ATC Issues
Reload this Page >

Q' for NATS bods in the know....

Wikiposts
Search
ATC Issues A place where pilots may enter the 'lions den' that is Air Traffic Control in complete safety and find out the answers to all those obscure topics which you always wanted to know the answer to but were afraid to ask.

Search this Thread

Old 23rd Jul 2002, 19:00

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm given to understand, (correct me if I'm wrong), that NATS still has a shortage of experienced atco's at airfields, i.e. Tower/GMC atco's.
I'm also told that, much to the frustration of most NATS atc unit managers, it's still official NATS policy to only recruit from the outside if an atco has all three ratings (adc/apc and apr), which is slightly confusing, as for the most part now and totally in the near future, all the approach functions to airfields have or will be centralised.

Even more confusing is the fact that at most NATS atc airport units, there are a number of tower only rated atco's, a few of which have been recruited directly from the outside world.

I've never worked for NATS, and I'm happy where I am, but with the current expansion of UK airports and failure of the NATS training system to provide enough new atcos each year, why don't NATS re evaluate the policy?

Or is that a daft question?
Old 23rd Jul 2002, 21:06

Well all NATS airfields are tower/rad app so I believe there recruitment policy is based on this. they will recruit people outside NATS with twr/app rad.

Nats college in bournemouth doesn't do an App/Procedural course however every other airfield in the uk (with exception of Liverpool and maybe channel islands airfields) requires there atco's to do procedural app course before commencing the radar app course. Therefore most airfield ATCO's outside NATS with a radar rating will also have an app/procedural rating.

However with this lack of procedural training I just hope the radar never fails at a nats airfield
Old 23rd Jul 2002, 21:33

A certain VCR North of London is filled with NATS radar failures. The 'guys' have been given another chance to resurrect their careers and my mates at TC say they do a real good job..

So if you were in NATS and failed, you might get another chance, if you are outside then????

Having spent a fortune on training at Bournmouth, these kids are real bonus to the NATS operation.

NATS staff at Luton dont have too many picnic baskets to steal from.
Old 24th Jul 2002, 00:05

IRVR,

So all NATS airfields have Tower and Approach Radar do they? What about Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted, Luton, London City?

Tower Controllers at Heathrow are given an Advanced ATM Course to assist them with radar appreciation. The Approach Radar Course has an element that includes dealing with radar failure and this aspect is also covered during TRUCE training. Some of the more senior NATS Controllers also have an Approach Procedural rating, so all in all your fears are groundless.

Goatgruff you are incorrect. There IS a NATS airport that recruits ADC only Controllers direct...........
Old 24th Jul 2002, 06:56

ATCO Two - which one?
Old 24th Jul 2002, 09:48

LL, believe it or not....
Old 24th Jul 2002, 10:05

irvr
fair 'nough there is not a college procedural course, however there is a procedural part on the radar course.
rest assured that folk at these units in nats ARE trained locally on radar failure, and app control for when /if the radar fails.
and have been sat there when the radar picture disappeared into the middle
although i couldn't work the logic of , at the time, there was a procedural area course and not a proc app course ( know it has changed now)

prof
Old 24th Jul 2002, 12:44

So then now you know. If anybody is interested in trying their luck you can e-mail me for details. Selection process involves a visit, interviews, simulator and live assessments. Get your CVs together and go for it!
Old 24th Jul 2002, 19:25

Well, apparently Aberdeen's full for once. Makes a change..
Old 3rd Aug 2002, 15:22

ATCO2 do you also take guys with APR for Thames Radar or is it ADC only?
Old 3rd Aug 2002, 16:46

Hi RE,

We haven't recruited direct for Thames Radar as yet, but you could do no harm by sending in your CV.
Old 4th Aug 2002, 11:07

How about NATS looking to recruit existing FISOs and training them for ADC ratings? Obviously there would be a good deal to learn, but the aptitude should be there along with the basic principles of tower operations.....
Old 4th Aug 2002, 18:14

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm given to understand, (correct me if I'm wrong), that NATS still has a shortage of experienced atco's at airfields, i.e. Tower/GMC atco's.

Actually there is DIRE shortage of NATS controllers in the en-route environment as well.....but, hey, don't tell Management cuz they think everything in ther garden is rosy, and that overtime will sort things out for them.

W R O N G !! ! !
Old 4th Aug 2002, 19:51

NOGBAD - I'm well aware of the shortages at en route centres, however, area control is a form of witchcraft practised by odd looking people who have the palour of miners, and who are only allowed out to have a breath of fresh air and a trot around once a month.

Big respect to those who do it, but.........area - ughh!!!!
Old 5th Aug 2002, 06:51
Beady Eye

When asked about ATC and being a Controllers I always inform my audience that there are two 'flavours' of controllers. Those at airfields, working in a very small bit of sky, and the grown up's who do the bits between the airfields and overseas.
Old 5th Aug 2002, 07:34

Take3... I always say that the Tower is for kids... meant with the very greatest respect for the young Tower controllers because no way could I do their job. Very few oldies can cope with really busy towers but approach radar is like a rest home! Now where's my rubber ring...?
Old 5th Aug 2002, 10:34

you cheeky G*T take three...swop you any day working at three miles (2.5 for HD ) compared to sitting on your asre worrying if the aircraft 150 miles away will conflict in the middle of next week and should you go to the canteen for a three course lunch and a manicure whilst you think about it"!!!!! AND you get paid more!!!