Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

Waddington Airshow 29/30 Jun

Wikiposts
Search
Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

Search this Thread

Old 24th Jun 2002, 06:45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone done Waddington before know if:

1. Its a good show

2. If its a good "social" show

3. Any good local alternates (Social diversion!) if the answer to "2" is NO!

If there are hassles to be had involving gozomee times/ slots.

T_M

:o
Old 24th Jun 2002, 07:29

It's a GREAT social show. Nuff said.
Old 24th Jun 2002, 18:46

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Beers on arrival - no ned for div!
4. Outbounds never been a problem

OK?
Old 25th Jun 2002, 05:15

Cool

It's a great show, did 1999 and 2000. Avoid the accom in the University if possible, try for the hotel on the river. It's a 2 day show so a fair bit of talking to the spotters and there isn't much on on the Fri or Sat nights, but then the Lincoln High Street Run is a challenge and the night clubs are worth a go. The post display party on Sunday night was (1999 and 2000 any way) up there with the best of those years. Wish I could get there.
Old 25th Jun 2002, 21:52

If the difficulty mysef and my friends have had finding accommodation anywhere near Waddington is anything to go by, it looks like its going to be a busy and popular show this year!

The nearest we can get is in Boston or Mansfield....!!!

Please note by the way that not all enthusiasts are "spotters"..!!I have no interest in recording a/c serials or production blocks etc. but as an amateur photographer, I do like to photograph well posed aircraft and nice flybys / departures. If anyone on here has anything to do with either of those, please bear this in mind.

Heres to a safe and enjoyable show.

Old 26th Jun 2002, 05:33

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
Watch out for Jackonicko with his little aluminium stepladder, urban DPM waistcoat with badges, scanner and notebooks...
Old 26th Jun 2002, 07:25

Can't have tried too hard Skylark - I booked myself a B&B 20 mins away from the airfield last Friday. Only the second place I rang too! Best thing is, it's a pub...
Old 26th Jun 2002, 14:04

Apparently advance tickets have been most popular for Saturday up until last weekend.......there will be a large TV screen for the footy on Sunday, tho'....

I'm going on Sunday, it looks like a good 'un - especially the
HU-16!!!

Fingers crossed for good weather and have a great time, all who are going!
Old 1st Jul 2002, 15:03

Waddington washup

Good weather, shame it pi55ed on the Reds

Top UAS chicks playing hard, too many tonkas but funny when the brakes black the runway. OK accom nicely close to the centre of Lincoln. Debrief points: Few, shame the party that started in the reception tent did not continue in the marquee.

Star of the show:

Saab Gripen

DetGnome, bon voyage, you are in the hands of animals who cannot kick a rugger ball for toffee.

Thanks to all Air & Groundcrews for an all round good weekend. Not that you can have a bad one out of NI!
Old 1st Jul 2002, 18:09

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Beagle - you must have Jackonicko confused with someone else. He is much less conspicuous than the word portrait you painted of him!
Old 1st Jul 2002, 19:19

Random selection of pics from arrivals/practice/Sunday:

Old 1st Jul 2002, 22:08

All Waddied Out

Thanks for a great weekend guys, shame the Lincolnshire weather lived up to its usual reputation on Sunday..!!

A couple of questions / comments from 'the other side of the fence'...

Luftwaffe Phanton on static - was the "World Champion" bit on the fin painted out by the Luftwaffe crew sometime on Sunday or was this done for them...?? I saw it there late Saturday night, but it had gone by Sunday pm!

Nice static, but why No Merlin? Flying example was impressive, but surely we have more than one - or dont we...???

Tiger Mate,

Loved the Gnome in the bonedome - excellent touch, sorry its been abducted. Hopefully I have a couple of good photos of the said Gnome - if you want a copy, e-mail me and I'll sort something out.

Laters...
Old 1st Jul 2002, 22:49

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
So where am I off to now? I obviously have a complete lack of awareness not realising that I was at Shawbury for refuel the other day on the way to Waddo! I heard a rumour that one of my original creators was there - was this true? If he was I hope he had as much fun as RIAT 2000 and his digital camera!
Old 2nd Jul 2002, 08:27

Thumbs up Gnome on manouvres

Passed through Shawbury, but 35 mins was long enough

Amazingly did not get stolen at Waddo, but was very much the talking point of many visitors including the Chief of Staff!

Will probably appear in many aviation journos in the next month as everyone with a posh camera insisted on a pic, price of stardom I s`pose.

Handed over to an antipodean P3 Orion crew, probably on exercise at Ice Stn kilo as we speak and is due to attend RIAT whilst en-route Australia or New Zealand.

Saved from some knobber AAC who intended to shoot him on a Air to Ground range by his originator. Thanks though to the AAC who flew him in every NI type many times with some good pics for his log book, very much in the spirit intended.

Sixty better get his second logbook ready, cause it wont be too long before it is needed
Old 2nd Jul 2002, 13:02

My lad was watching the footy on the big screen, and called me with the result, just as I happened to be passing the German F-4. A crewman jumped on the spine with a roll of masking tape in his hand, so I guessed something was up - hung around to see what, and he whipped out an aerosol spray of grey paint....that logo didn't stay on the fin for very long!

Oh well; it's only a game eh?!?!?!?

Old 2nd Jul 2002, 13:26

Question Gnome news is good news

http://www.thisisjersey.com/news/news2.html