Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Non-Airline Forums > Private Flying
Reload this Page >

Shirts, Ties, Epaulettes and Flying Suits.

Wikiposts
Search
Private Flying LAA/BMAA/BGA/BPA The sheer pleasure of flight.

Shirts, Ties, Epaulettes and Flying Suits.

Search this Thread

Old 22nd Jun 2002, 18:11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shirts, Ties and Epaulettes

No, stop laughing please.

We sit there with our Transair catalogues or whatever, flicking through and then getting to that page thinking: "Does anyone really do this?".

I've seen the odd person in black trousers and white shirt, but has anyone in the PPL world seen (cringe) the full regalia?
Old 22nd Jun 2002, 18:19

saw a Jap bloke at Long Beach once, with nice blue overalls with 'Pilot' embroidered on it.

Apparently the same bloke was back a week later trying to learn to fly helo's, this time though he had 'Helicopter Pilot' on his overalls !

EA
Old 22nd Jun 2002, 20:33
LPL

Paulo

Something tells me YOU want to wear all that regalia, and you are testing the water for a likely reaction !!!!!!!!!
Old 22nd Jun 2002, 21:06

Earn it!

As with anything in this world you earn the right to wear it!

Students/ppl's wearing this full regalia are just making a mockery of the whole system! It's like those schools that make their students wear it and they add a bar for each rating/licence!!!!!

Nothing like a three/four bar getting out of a 152/172 etc :o
Old 22nd Jun 2002, 21:15

Paulo,

Search the web... find sites that talk about around-the-world flights.. you'll find out
Old 22nd Jun 2002, 21:23

Oh blimey I've been found out.

Hmm, now where did I put the four bars

PS Did I forget to tell anyone I'm a pilot?

Last edited by paulo; 23rd Jun 2002 at 07:38.
Old 22nd Jun 2002, 23:39

Official PPRuNe Chaplain

Yes! I actually saw some blokes at the PFA Rally on Friday in black trousers and white shirts with epaulettes! One 4-bar, several 3-bar and one 2-bar.

I didn't see what they were flying, but there were no airliners there that I could see.

Didn't see any pilots in Babygros, though.

Friend of mine who's flown in Africa says it's important to wear epaulettes there. Doesn't seem to have the same effect at Popham or Cranfield.
Old 23rd Jun 2002, 02:17

I didn't see what they were flying, but there were no airliners there that I could see.

Thank God - they wouldn't be safe!

Epaulettes mean jack when it comes to flying airliners. You wanna fly the big planes, you need shiny shoes
Old 23rd Jun 2002, 02:39

Keef -

Probably the stripe bearing folk at the PFA rally would be Cabair instructors as they, like many other flying schools, wear the tribal markings. It may look odd to those of us already involved in aviation at some level to see someone covered in gold braid jumping in and out of a C150 but in actual fact the punters love it. Take the Cabair schools around London, all their instructors look smart and utterly professional and the public love it.

Back to the original thread though, I have heard several stories about PPLs wearing stripes to take their mates on an hour long sortie into the local area. I know of one who was wearing 4 gold bars and taken aside by a CFI and politely shown the error of his ways. (Nothing to do with the fact the CFI only wore 3 bars!!) The one that takes the glory is the bloke who upon the issue of his PPL had his chequebook and credit cards changed to 'Captain' instead of Mr!!

I also witnessed 4 people getting out of a cherokee all wearing flying suits the other day as well. Yes, even the 2 back seat passengers! What are these people on????

Amazing isn't it!

RM
Old 23rd Jun 2002, 02:58

I also witnessed 4 people getting out of a cherokee all wearing flying suits the other day as well. Yes, even the 2 back seat passengers! What are these people on????
FUMES - if their departure was within weight and balance.

Whilst not defending these muppets (once saw a guy clamber out of a cherokee - Liverpool, I think - wearing a RED flying suit covered in Red Arrows patches)...they just might be playing the old fireproof card.

I think equally sad is the wearing of white leather gloves.
Old 23rd Jun 2002, 03:49

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
Cool

True story time....
Years and years ago in a country far away (France Le Bourget 1990-ish) at THE airshow I ran into an vague friend.
He wore a mil.flightsuit with all the badges.
I knew he had a ppl and his own single engine something.
Asked him how he got there.The reply was ..' I flew in on Bravo Mike Whiskey..'.
Took me a little while to figure out he meant his BMW 316.
He was not amused that I showed up to burst his bubble since he was talking to somebody who apperently bought this crap..
Old 23rd Jun 2002, 04:08

I know of one who was wearing 4 gold bars and taken aside by a CFI and politely shown the error of his ways. (Nothing to do with the fact the CFI only wore 3 bars!!)

Well, both of them are tossers to be wearing stripes, but IMO they both have the right to wear anything that doesn't compromise safety.

I don't think an employee has any business telling a paying customer what to wear. The CFI should be taken aside and politely shown the error of his ways
Old 23rd Jun 2002, 06:05

years ago in California I went for a hot-air balloon flight. I couldn't believe it when the pilots showed up wearing dark blue pants, not jeans, short sleeved white shirts with golden stripes on the shoulders!! how decadent!! sorry...but being a balloon pilot myself I thought it pretty stupid.
But the paying passengers seemed to love it! I guess it makes them feel they're in "professional" hands, though what I saw during the set up of the 8 balloons I did not find very professional!
I've worn the usually flight suit with patches and pins, that's tradition in the balloonist world and fun, besides being very practical, and for plane competions I might wear it, too, but not during normal PPL flights. Don't need the snickers of my fellow flyiers..heehee
And just check-out some of your fellow PPL'er visiting cards...great!

keep flying!!

WestWind1950
Old 23rd Jun 2002, 07:56
Final 3 Greens

Gone West

Would be interested in alternative suggestions to gloves for those of us who suffer from sweaty palms! Having once had the yoke slip out of my hand on final, I have worn gloves since, although they are slightly inconvenient when changing frequencies etc.

However, as for epaulettes etc

Old 23rd Jun 2002, 09:53

Another true story ....

Yesterday, I & another woman PPL, flew to Cambridge. We were both wearing OUR usual pilots' "uniforms" of tee-shirt & jeans (& of course hand-bags )

This proved useful, when we did our interpretation of Cambridge's Park & Ride service......

..... Well we did PARK the aircraft at the airport, walked the 200m to the Park & Ride carpark, mingled with the shoppers, & caught a RIDE on the bus into central Cambridge, for the bargain price of £1.40 return. (You can now do the same at Norwich).

I am not sure that we would have passed off, as shoppers, in flying suits with 4 gold bars!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.