Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Other Aircrew Forums > Flight Testing
Reload this Page >

Wannabe Test pilot

Flight Testing A forum for test pilots, flight test engineers, observers, telemetry and instrumentation engineers and anybody else involved in the demanding and complex business of testing aeroplanes, helicopters and equipment.

Wannabe Test pilot

Old 22nd May 2002, 08:27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wannabe Test pilot

Can anyone recommend reading for a wannabe test pilot?
Especially on the sort of things ETPS might ask about!
Cheers
Old 22nd May 2002, 14:42

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I assume you are talking about the fixed wing part of the course.
Handling the Big Jets is a perennial favourite. Darrol Stinton's books, especially Flying Qualities and Flight Testing the aeroplane are also excellent.
The FAA Advisory Circulars on Parts 23 and 25 have absolutely no character development or plot, but are good on the subjects.
If helicopters are your bag, I might modestly recommend my book - "The Art and Science of Flying Helicopters", and any of the books by Ray Prouty as well.
Old 22nd May 2002, 19:53

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts
You could try http://trc.dfrc.nasa.gov/ftintro/

Other end of the speed range, but there's quite a good bibliography in http://www.bmaa.org/014.pdf

Darrol Stintons' flight testing book I'd strongly recommend buying a copy of, it's a superb reference. The FAA's AC23-8 is also worth having, which should be lurking around the net somewhere to download, although I'd suggest doing it in work time - it's quite large.

I seem to recall that AP3456 helped me through my ETPS board.

G
Old 23rd May 2002, 08:26

Aerodynamics for Naval Aviator printed by ASA
ISBN 1-56027-140-X apllied aerodynamics to flight operation

Introduction to Space Dynamics by W T Thomson
ISBN 0-486-65113.4 if you want to know more about Gyrodanamics,, inertial Nav, and basics mechanics

Have a good reading

stardust
Old 23rd May 2002, 18:35

Do a Hover - it avoids G

You have received some good advice above.

However, on the day of my intial interview (2 Feb 1955 just after 18.00 hrs) the first thing Group Captain Sammy Wroath the Commandant of ETPS said to me was “Why do you want to be a test pilot?”

I suggest that you won’t find the answer to that question in any book, but you still need to have a good one ready. I am pleased to add that after my reply the Commandant went on to ask more questions for 45 mins before bringing the interview to a close with the words “OK, you seem to be just the sort of young lad we need here but you will have to go away and learn to fly first”.

So I did. And eight years later I joined the course. In those days I was a civilian, with no flying training to my name, so I guess I would have been out on my ear after the first question had I not answered it to Sir's satisfaction.
Old 23rd May 2002, 19:28

Just for interest at this point in time.

I am going to run the seminars again at the Xmas Gatbash on 13th or 14th December (not quite sure of the exact date at the minute!). Dave Southwood an experienced ETPS test pilot will be doing a seminar, that will include test flying all the fighter jets, and others. And I might as well mention that I will be asking John Farley, already known for his test flying, to join in with some of his memories of the Harrier, (I am sure he will). This will make a very good lecture forum. So much so, I propose making it a 75 minute one rather than the usual 45 minutes.

This will give some of those who have a yearning to get involved in testing, or just want to hear about the REAL flavour in flying. After all, without the skills of these great people, flying would not be as safe as it is today.
Old 28th May 2002, 22:41

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts
Do get DS, he tutored me on ETPS and is a superb speaker. If possible get him to talk about spinning.

G