Wikiposts
Search
Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies) A forum for those on the steep path to that coveted professional licence. Whether studying for the written exams, training for the flight tests or building experience here's where you can hang out.

Income Support?

Search this Thread

Old 16th May 2002, 07:54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Income Support?

Morning folks.

There must be thousands of others who have thought about what I'm about to ask and the Search fac. didn't really help me so here goes:

I work full time and am currently enrolled on a distance learning course for the ATPLs but am finding it increasingly hard to work during the day and then hit the books at night (who didn't/doesn't??)

What I'm thinking of doing is moving back in with the parents to reduce outgoings (rent etc...) and studying full time from home.

Now, am I entitled to any benefits from Uncle Tony Blair?

I enquired about a student loan but my LEA didn't seem to want to know and I suspect that if I try to claim unemployment benefit, whatever it's called these days, they'll want me to be actively looking for jobs whilst I'm signed on, which of course isn't what I want.

So, does anybody know if I can get benefit or what it's called these days?

Thanks in advance

MB

PS: Scroggs/WWW, my apologies if I've posted this in the wrong Forum, post shake-up.
Old 16th May 2002, 11:27

It's always hard to say what benefits someone can or can't get on the limited information you have given, however I can tell you the basic rules.

You can only get Income Support if you are within a "prescribed category of person" this is effectively either:
a lone parent with children under 16
sick/disabled and incapable of work
caring for so,ebody who is sick
within 10 years of your 60th Birthday

If you are working over 16 hours a week or have a partner living with you who is working over 24 hours a week you can't receive it, even if you fit in the above categories.

Unemployment was replaced by Jobseekers Allowance in 1995, it is paid in two amounts, contribution based and income based. The contribution based element requires you to have paid enough national insurance for the past two fuill tax years and will only be payable for 6 months. If you leave your job voluntarily or are sacked, you will not be entitled.

The income based element is means tested the same way as Income Support is - savings over £8000 will disentitle you as will any income, or partner working. Again if you leave your job you will not receive anything for 6 months.

In both cases you have to be signing on as available for employment and you have to accept any job that is offered - students are not entitled since they are not considered to be available for employment.

hope that helps.
Old 17th May 2002, 15:00

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts
This annoys me !

People who are working their nuts off to further their careers get s*d all

People who do s*d all get everything, free money, free food tokens, free medicine, free ......... and they are in the pub each night drink in one hand, flashy new mobile in the other, wearing the newst in fashions ....

i can go on but, i gotta get back to work !!..
Old 19th May 2002, 10:07

Hiya monkeyboy.

Think PJDJ777 has said it all as far as the rules are concerned so there is nothing I can add for you there.
However, I was in exactly the same situation as yourself and when I visited the benefits office for any advice, (was an experience because at 33 this was my first time in the place) they told me to first of all claim for the contributions based jsa and then speak with the job centre manager and explain my situation. This I did and found them very helpful. In a nutshell, I was told that because I was enrolled with a bonafide training establishment that they would leave me alone and class this as looking for work.......its not strictly playing by the rules they said but under the circumstances they didnt regard me as someone who would take the benefit money and run straight to the nearest pub. They did tell me that when I signed on every two weeks that they would like to see a signature from my self to say that I had been looking for work (this was needed to make everything legal) and this I did by walking into my flight school/club and asking for a job to which the reply was always "no" (as expected) but it made me legal!!
Hope this helps and if you need any more advice on the subject, then drop me an email.
PS. I'm still on dried bread and cold beans....but getting closer to that right hand seat everyday
Old 19th May 2002, 15:35

Do what every other bludger does-------- bullsh*t.
You'll get your dole money.