Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Non-Airline Forums > Private Flying
Reload this Page >

Couple of questions

Wikiposts
Search
Private Flying LAA/BMAA/BGA/BPA The sheer pleasure of flight.

Couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 19th Apr 2001, 17:21
Evo7

Question Couple of questions

Hi Chaps. Hopefully the right forum (I'm new here...)

I'm finally in the position to go after my PPL, something I've been wanting to do since I was a kid. I'm thinking about taking lessons every couple of weeks or thereabouts as a way of keeping sane while I write up my PhD thesis, switching to every week or so once I've finished and I'm working (more cash!), which will be mid to late summer.

First off, is this sensible? Is somewhere between two weeks to maybe a month (if I'm away) too long, so I'll be forgetting everything from the previous lesson? And will I hit winter just as I'm able to take weekly lessons? Would it be better to leave it a year longer?

Secondly, I'm planning on learning at Goodwood (I live in Chichester) or maybe Shoreham. Any comments? Anywhere else I should look at?

Cheers.

Old 19th Apr 2001, 18:54
kabz

Thumbs up

Recommend the book "Stick and Rudder" by Langewiesche. I started my PPL about 3 months ago, and this book would have helped a lot, had I read it at the start.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../qid=987691991

Old 19th Apr 2001, 18:59
loglickychops

A lesson a fortnight is ok. It just takes longer. Some will say that 2 week intervals is too long and you should increase the frequency (I was lucky and started with 2 lessons a week, but I still lost momentum over a bad winter), but if you haven't got the time/money what can you do? Start as you have planned to and if it isn't working change it. My only advice is do it sooner rather than later - You'll get a far better start by flying bi-weekly over the summer than by waiting until winter when the weather gets bad again and cancels lesson after lesson after lesson...

Old 19th Apr 2001, 19:10
Evo7

Thumbs up

Thanks, kabz. Just placed my order. Never seen so many glowing reviews at Amazon before....

Old 19th Apr 2001, 19:29
SKYYACHT

I would recommend you talk to The Flying Hut at Shoreham. They have a good selection of well maintained aeroplanes, at reasonable prices. Talk to Paul or Colin on 01273-455177, I'm sure they will help. Shoreham has benefit of Full ATC and a Tarmac runway (good in wet and claggy UK type wx!)

Best of luck

Tailwinds

Old 19th Apr 2001, 20:59
aviatrix

If money is tight, start learning as much as possible now ! Get familiar with reading charts, instruments, weather,flight guides, etc. Join a flying club, other pilots will probably be pleased to take you up as a passeger and you can start to get experience of being in the cockpit. Attend a CAA safety evening (they're free !)Do you read any magazines ? - 'Pilot', or a new one 'Today's Pilot' are good.

Old 19th Apr 2001, 21:32
Puffin Killer

Wink

I would also recommend Shoreham but I would suggest that before you part with any money that you go and talk to several Flying Clubs & Schools before deciding and perhaps look at some at Goodwood.

I would also advise you to track down a copy of ‘To Be A Pilot’ by Dave Bruford as it details all you need to know about the PPL and what questions to ask any prospective Flying Club or School.

Good Luck

Old 19th Apr 2001, 22:20
Speedbird252

Wink

Good advice above........i fly out of Goodwood, if you want some impartial advice evo, e-mail me and ill fill ya in!!

Youll never believe how many caravan parks there are at Selsey.........

Old 20th Apr 2001, 02:57
Saab Dastard

My experience so far, with both gliding several years ago and PPL training now, is that it is more cost effective in the long term to fly as intensively as you can (afford).

You will make better progress and not waste money on lessons to get you back to where you were only a few weeks previously.

Of course, this is also a cash flow issue.

------------------
Hoping and praying should never be confused with planning...

Old 20th Apr 2001, 12:39
Tricky Woo

fish

A couple of lessons a month shouldn't be too bad at all. At least you'll value each one more. Each lesson becomes so important that you'll prepare properly beforehand and think it through more afterwards. With a more open cheque book there's always the next lesson to be relied on...

Wherever you go, there's a lot to be said for simply booking your first lesson as soon as possible and getting into the air!

Good luck.

TW

Old 20th Apr 2001, 13:08
Evo7

Smile

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm going for it! I kind of figure that however much flying you do, it's never really enough, anyway...

Lack of free time is more of a problem than lack of money,
but my daily train journey gives plenty of time for bookwork, etc., so hopefully no problems there. Shoreham airfield looked particularly inviting as I went past this morning, too....

Puffin Killer - thanks for the book recomendation. I've ordered it.

Aviatrix - any advice on where to get hold of the things you mention? I'm new to all this...

Thanks all.

Old 20th Apr 2001, 14:39
stiknruda

Talking

Wolfgang Langewiesche definetely worked for me. His writing style is a tad archaic, neh abstruse but the content is sound.

Given that you have studied for a Phd and that this was posted in Private Flying as opposed to Wannabees, I guess it unlikely that you want to become an airline pilot.

If my theory is correct, could I suggest that if at all possible you start your ab-initio training on a tailwheel aeroplane.

No - I really don't think that it makes you a better pilot, but it teaches you from an early stage to taxi, take off and land an aeroplane more accurately.

And - when some months later you have your shiney new licence to learn, you will not be restricted to Cessnas and pipers until you undergo difference training.

Good advice on this thread - specially starting sooner rather than later.

Just a thought!

Stik

Old 20th Apr 2001, 15:04
Evo7

Thumbs up

Given that you have studied for a Phd and that this was posted in Private Flying as opposed to Wannabees, I guess it unlikely that you want to become an airline pilot.

Spot on, stik. I've always been something of an obsessive when it comes to aeroplanes, but sadly Mummy and Daddy couldn't pay for flying lessons and it has had to wait until I can pay for it myself - which is now. My ambitions don't really extend much past the PPL and general enjoyment. Saying that, my father-in-law is a paid up member of the Confederate Air Force and heads off to Texas to fly some pretty fun things, so maybe one day...

Thanks for the advice. I'll ask about it.

(Edited to remove HTML tags - Doh!)

[This message has been edited by Evo7 (edited 20 April 2001).]

Old 20th Apr 2001, 22:24
fallen eagle

Hi there just a couple of books that will make a differance.(1)mechanics of flight&(2)flight without formula both by A.C.Kermode.ISBN for the first one is 0273316230.I believe that these two books are what all the modern publications are based on.STICK&RUDDER is right up there to if you can get hold of it. BYE FOR NOW good luck keep us posted.

Old 23rd Apr 2001, 11:20
Evo7

Smile

Well, I did it - first 1hr trial Saturday afternoon. Brilliant, although my attempt to fly the approach to land sucked like you wouldn't believe ... I think I've got some serious learning to do

Next lesson in a couple of weeks, so it's Thom and Langewiesche for me until then. Now, anyone tell me how to cope with the addiction?

Thanks one and all for the advice. I'm sure I'll be back for more

Old 23rd Apr 2001, 12:15
Whirlybird

Evo7,

I was just going to talk about the addiction side of things, but you got there first

Like you, I started off intending to have one lesson every week or two. I got hopelessly hooked, and ended up planning my whole life around flying, economising madly on everything else so I could afford it, and fitting in work around flying rather than the other way round. I've been that way now for nearly four years. I keep saying that THIS year I'm going to be sensible and just fly occasionally like sane people do, but I get severe withdrawal symptoms after a week on the ground! I wish I'd done this years ago, but like you there was no way I could afford it. So just go for it - a lesson a fortnight will do, one a week is better, more than that better still. It might not be the ideal way to learn, but that's life, and if you enjoy it, who cares.

------------------
Whirly

To fly is human, to hover, divine.

Old 23rd Apr 2001, 12:49
Evo7

Smile

To be honest, Whirly, I haven't thought of much else since - I'm having a bugger of a time getting any work done this morning. I'm hooked, alright. Probably a good thing that the weather is terrible, or I'd be banging on the doors...

Anyone got the number for flyers anonymous?

Old 24th Apr 2001, 01:55
Gash Handlin

Talking

Evo,

The best advice any of us could've given you would be get the Phd done first but I fear its too late and the bug has taken hold as you are now finding, it's impossible to concentrate on anything else when your mind keeps wandering about 2000' above your body (or better still 250' at warp factor snot )

and if you think it's good now just wait till you're solo.

Best of luck GH.

Old 24th Apr 2001, 02:13
bcfc

As a 45 hr Pu/t and just waiting to do my xcq, I have to say the addiction bit gets worse. I'm getting seriously behind in my work and thank God the wx's crap this week.

Regarding Stick & Rudder by Wolfgang whathisface. Great book but as a newbie, the emphasis on the taildragger (understandable as its 30+ years old) confused me. Only now am I appreciating its value - used it this weekend to figure out how to control the glide better.

Evo - congratulations on finding the fastest way to empty your bank account known to man and the best way of keeping a smile on your face.

[Edited to correct typos]

[This message has been edited by bcfc (edited 23 April 2001).]

Old 24th Apr 2001, 12:14
FNG

An interesting feature of "Stick and Rudder" is that it is in large part a critique of the(then) conventional taildragger configuration and an advocacy of tricycle gear (a bit contrary to current fashion, perhaps). Langewische was also quite keen on the linked aileron/rudder thing as tried in the Ercoupe and some early Piper trikes, and which I gather was not thought a success. I think that the best things about the book are its observations on turns, approaches and general handling. I found it a very thought provoking reference throughout my PPL and still dip into it from time to time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.