Flight Testing A forum for test pilots, flight test engineers, observers, telemetry and instrumentation engineers and anybody else involved in the demanding and complex business of testing aeroplanes, helicopters and equipment.

Testing the A320

Old 7th Feb 2001, 00:55
WIL

Question Testing the A320

As part of the course at one of the 4 military test pilot schools, the French one, I will assess the A320 in a couple of weeks.

Could somebody give me an idea if there exist traps for pilots with the FBW system, ie a sequence of events which may lead to difficulties piloting a normaly well protected aircraft.

Also if anyone has had problems with the man-machine interface (not including the MCDU) please let me know.

Thanks

Old 10th Feb 2001, 17:49
Life style

I had the opportunity to fly the A320 and A340 on course and found them both very good. Whilst discussion surrounding Airbus types is generally in comparison to Boeing, I found it to more complex. I offer the following thoughts.

1. Sidestick v control column. Issues of how does non-flying pilot (NFP) know what FP is doing. Transfer of control no longer entirely visual (can't mistake someone beside you grabbing the control wheel). Summation of both pilots inputs into FBW system is a problem (A320 a floating down Sydney runway with full up and full down commands from each side - FBW summed and got 0).

2. FBW law. C*u as they call it. It's supposed to be a blend of pitch rate and G command, however is mostly G command and you see it as a flight path hold. (Decelerate on finals, GP remains constant, nose attitude raises without input). Look for gust response, apparantly it will pick up a gust induced down wing without pilot command. Chance for PIO I think, though not able to confirm due smooth conditions.

3. Flight Envelope Protections. Hard v Soft limits. Fixed limits for Airbus, whilst Boeing has soft limits. Prefer the Airbus. Consider where the limits are. 60AoB, 20NU or ND(?). This is not a sustainable attitude for a large aircraft. Having flown the 777 sim, all you prove by going beyond Airbus hard limits is that U/A recoveries in large aircraft will overspeed/stress. Trap here is that if the Airbus does flip (A330 @ Toulouse) it reverts to mech mode in which it is now possible to stall (ie above alpha max).

4. Autothrottles. Not back driven. A bad thing, especially with quite engines. Amidst confusion in moding etc etc, easy to lose track of what the engines are doing.

5. Lateral Control Law. Deflection = Roll rate command. (max deflection = 15deg/sec ?). Consider EFATO, and balance forces. Left with residual roll moment that traditionally is balanced with control wheel deflection during SL flight, ie deflected wheel but no roll (rate). On Airbus no roll rate means no stick deflection, the computers sort it. So no feedback of impending Vmca departure (unless you watch the control deflections page). I found I PIO'd in roll during every EFATO trying to establish 5 deg AoB toward the live engines.

6. Threshold Speed Accuracy. IAS accuracy and flight path accuracy are almost at opposite ends of the LSS spectrum. Consider the F/A-18. Gear up G command for combat missions, gear down, strong LSS for accurate IAS onto deck. Airbus approach to land in flight path command. So look at accuracy of speed control (and wonder why they recommend using auto throttles on for all landings!). Have ago at manual throttles.

All said and done, I prefer the Airbus. The Boeing v Airbus debate is not factual. No-one blames Boeing flight control laws when an aircraft crashes short of the runway with AEO because it got slow, however this is a classic LSS response. Have fun.

Old 13th Feb 2001, 13:10
Matt Black

Greetings,

It might be worth posting this in the technical forum also, as I suspect there may be a few Airbus drivers who would have useful input.

Cheerio.