Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Middle East
Reload this Page >

deja vu Dubai

Wikiposts
Search
Middle East Many expats still flying in Knoteetingham. Regional issues can be discussed here.

deja vu Dubai

Search this Thread

Old 27th Sep 2004, 12:11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
deja vu Dubai

Building Collapses at Dubai Airport

48 minutes ago

By RAWYA RAGEH, Associated Press Writer

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - A large wall in a building under construction at Dubai airport collapsed Monday, killing more than eight people and injuring many more, a contractor said.

Workers at the site said they saw up to 40 casualties being taking away, but there was no confirmation of the number of wounded.

"At least eight people were killed on the spot and some died in hospital, but we don't know how many," an official of Al-Naboodah Contracting Co., the main contractor at the site, said on condition of anonymity.

A large partition in a building under construction at the site collapsed, the contractor said. About 150 workers were on the site when the partition fell at 11 a.m..

"The wall fell down, and we all ran to help, but there wasn't anything we could do," said worker Daljinder Singh. "Rescue teams were very late in coming. It took them maybe one hour to arrive."

Other workers put the casualties at about 40, saying most were injured.

"I saw many, many of my colleagues being taken away," a worker said, before he was told to be quiet by a supervisor.
Old 28th Sep 2004, 05:30

Apparently the architect is Paul Andreu, same french guy whos work in CDG collapsed earlier this year. Maybe he's in the wrong business.

BFD
Old 28th Sep 2004, 06:19

is this true or simply a rumour? Pne has got to be cautious when making such assertion.
Old 28th Sep 2004, 14:01

Hello Gentlemen,

Here is the CNN article stating that is Aeroports de Paris International, Paul Audreu's company.

CNN Article

You can also visit Paul Audreu's website and see the DXB is infact on the list of construction by his company

Website

So it has been confirmed.

BFD
Old 28th Sep 2004, 14:01

Do we really have to stoop this low and gossip about this topic
Old 28th Sep 2004, 14:11

Sad thing is the families of the poor unfortunate workers will get zero compensation while the real culprits (who ever they may be) will get away with it.

Plus, this being Dubai, you will never know the true story, Dubai Dry Docks 2002 all over again!

Never any bad news in Dubai!
Old 28th Sep 2004, 14:28

It might be Paul Andreu's company but you're walking very thin legal ice if you start slagging off its reputation without a bl00dy good reason.

People on this website are perpetually berating the press for reaching ridiculous conclusions based on zero evidence. Yet in the same breath it appears that, in this case, everyone's an instant expert.
Old 28th Sep 2004, 22:26

I'm not saying anything in terms of his reputation. I am just stating that ironically its the same architect whose construction collapsed at CDG. And it is the same one, it even says on his website that he is currently working on DXB.

What legal ice are you talking about? Bloody good reason? LOL!!

Noone is gossiping so relax and put your guns back in your pants, just stating facts, noone is trying to ruin anyones reputation, enoughs been done thats it.