Torch Batteries - Safety warning.

Wikiposts
Search
Tech Log The very best in practical technical discussion on the web

Torch Batteries - Safety warning.

Search this Thread

Old 21st Sep 2004, 04:14
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Safety warning. Please spread the word.

Not specifically an aviation item, but could affect family and property safety.

My five year old grandson, was playing with one of those new yellow zillion candle power torches. He had permission, and knew not to shine it in his eyes. What he didn't know, was how to unlock the switch lock, and he put it down on a bed. The result was a testament to modern battery manufacturers, the bed caught fire.
Old 21st Sep 2004, 05:37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could not agree more. These torches, usually powered by several 3V Lithium cells have no place on aircraft. Personally aware of a backpack that caught fire, a ladies handbag that caught fire and have seen the charred remains of the lens head of one that overheated when left on, unattended.

They might look "flash" and put out a great "light" but they should never be anywhere near an aircraft as a flashlight.
Old 21st Sep 2004, 06:23

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
There was a report somewhere in the UK (can't lay my hands on it) of somebody who put spare GPS batteries in their flying suit pocket, they shorted across the zip and overheated in his pocket, leaving the chap with mild burns and needing a new flying suit.

It's one of those dangers of modern life which perhaps needs a bit more exposure. Good call rivets.

G
Old 21st Sep 2004, 06:45

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts
.. think we might sticky this for a week or so for info ...
Old 21st Sep 2004, 08:29

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sort of related. Riding home from work last week, with walkman blaring away. (I know! but it was on a canal towpath). I shoved the player, my keys and a spare (rechargeable) aa battery in my shorts pockets, as I usually do. I was suddenly aware of a hot feeling in my pants (!) and discovered that said battery was pretty warm. Wasn't warm enough to burn skin, but pretty uncomfortable all the same.

Got me wondering about what I'll put in my suitcase next time I fly commercially.
Old 22nd Sep 2004, 05:10

Aren't lithium batteries supposed to be listed as Dangerous Goods???? Far as I recall, they have to be packed accordingly, which does not include in the device.
Old 22nd Sep 2004, 16:39

Lithium batteries on board

The CAA have an interesting article - Dealing With In-Flight Lithium Battery Fires In Portable Electronic Devices (478 KB PDF). They used a blow torch for ignition!

The good news is that normal fire extinguishing equipment (including fire blankets) will put out the fire, the bad news is that it could do severe damage to the pax whose laptop caught fire.

It seems as though special precautions are needed for bulk carriage of Lithium cells, but individual items are allowed (otherwise, you'd be banning every video camera, laptop and mobile phone manufactured in the last few years).
Old 23rd Sep 2004, 07:53

Dale - my understanding is that special packaging per DG requirements becomes an issue above a certain "lithium weight", but you are essentially correct in that Lithium cells can constitute a DG.
Old 23rd Sep 2004, 10:13

Metrosexual

Spare batteries must be individually protected to prevent short circuits & carried in carry on baggage only. In addition, each spare battery must not exceed the following quantities:

- Lithium metal or lithium alloy batteries, lithium content of not more than 2g

- Lithium ion batteries, as aggregate equivalent lithium content of no more than 8g

Lithium ion batteries with an aggregate equivalent lithium content of more than 8g and no more than 25gmay be carried in carry on baggage if they are individually protected so as to prevent short circuits and are limited to two spare batteries per person.

Spot the guy who just renewed his Dangerous Goods Certificate
Old 23rd Sep 2004, 12:03

So am I likely to be informed that my laptop is a 'dangerous good' next time I fly? I freely admit that I haven't a clue how many grams of lithium are in the battery (nor, I strongly suspect, has anyone else)!
Old 23rd Sep 2004, 15:02

This problem is not specific to lithium and/or faulty batteries. Many of these (increasingly common) high-power torches have sealed lead-acid batteries, often just 6 volt powering a 100w bulb so it is drawing nearly 20 amps - as a consequence they get VERY hot and are only designed for very short periods of use. What makes it worse is that the switches are often dangerously exposed and of a very simple and easy to operate lever type. They have their uses but are most definitely not toys, and as has been said, have no place on an aircraft.
Old 24th Sep 2004, 14:59

One of these flashlights caught fire a couple of days ago in a passengers carry-on at the security checkpoint prior to boarding, happened somewhere in the U.S. Caused quite a flap!
Old 25th Sep 2004, 20:14

Thanks guys, very very handy to know, I'll be careful from now on.
Old 29th Sep 2004, 12:46

Received 139 Likes on 63 Posts
Hi all,

living in a place where new fangled things are a bit slow in arriving, can someone please post a picture or link to a pic of the dangerous torches you are talking about?

Cheers

CS
Old 29th Sep 2004, 23:18

CS - not unlike FORD cars really - many shapes and sizes.
Most ( not prepared to commit to ALL ) can be identified by the lens head. It is most often a series of small circular holes around the periphery of the lens, often with additional hole(s) in the middle that would most readily be compared to LED's in appearance. The light is a very white light, occasionally a white/blue tinge.
The most readily identifiable feature would seem to be smoke emitting from wherever you stowed it, before it somehow self activated
Old 3rd Oct 2004, 21:02

One example is here

Note the exposed switch on the side. I expect to see lots of house fires, never mind anything else, caused by these things.

Edited to add, if the link doesn't work then try going to www.maplin.co.uk and search for torch, specifically halogen lantern.

Saw them for sale for £6 at the petrol station the other day too.

Last edited by Smoketoomuch; 4th Oct 2004 at 20:58.
Old 4th Oct 2004, 15:49

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Link doesn't seem to work.

G
Old 7th Oct 2004, 13:10

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While lithium batteries are getting the bad press a more general problem is the sheer amount of energy in batteries these days - 25 Ah D cell alkaline are getting around and the normal is 18 Ah.

Doing the maths 25 x 1.5 x 3600 = 135,000 J. To put this in perspective this will lift 1,377 Kg 10 m. ie put a car on the roof of a 2 storey house.

On a related subject we were looking at data sheets for some zinc/air batteries. The main suggested use was for hearing aids but an explosion risk was mentioned!