Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Wannabes Forums > Interviews, jobs & sponsorship
Reload this Page >

Flybe 2005 Pilot Sponsorship Scheme

Wikiposts
Search
Interviews, jobs & sponsorship The forum where interviews, job offers and selection criteria can be discussed and exchanged.

Search this Thread

Old 20th Sep 2004, 14:39

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Surprised this isn't already on here being avidly discussed and commented on!

Flight International 21 - 27 September 2004:

PILOT SPONSORSHIP IN 2005
Flybe. British European is the UK's number one independent regional low fares airline. Passenger growth is expected to rise to 4.5 million in 2004/5, across 25 international and 17 domestic destinations. The airline is pleased to announce that it will once again offer a part sponsorship scheme for cadet pilots. Successful applicants will benefit from a proven formula with flybe. making a substantial contribution towards the initial cost of a JAA ATP Integrated Course with Cabair at Cranfield.

Applicants must be between the age of 20 - 28 on 1st March 2005, have the unrestricted right to work in the UK, and have an absolute minimum of 5 GCSEs and 2 A level passes preferably in Mathematics and Science based subjects. You will already hold, or be capable of holding, a JAR Class 1 medical certificate.

If you meet these requirements and have the enthusiasm and drive to join this winning team email [email protected] now for a prospectus. Please quote reference BE9 and include your full address with postcode.

Closing date for applications is 29th October 2004.
Old 20th Sep 2004, 17:24

fish

only contemplate if you don't mind working very hard for very little for many years !!!!!
Old 20th Sep 2004, 17:47

Yeah, but flying the Q400 would be a blast.... Don't expect to make any money in this business anyway. What do you mean about working hard? How much harder would it be than flying for Easy or Ryanair? Any examples?
Old 20th Sep 2004, 17:55

Excellent news...

...but is there any mention of the contirbution required by the "chosen ones"? I seem to remember £33k being mentioned in the past for prevous years' schemes.

KX
Old 20th Sep 2004, 20:58

I really wish they would change this forum to:

'Interviews and jobs ONLY'

Put sponsorships where they belong with Professional Pilot Training. There are great deal of wannabes, many suitably qualified, who could fill that requirement of four cadets. Such a waste when there is a great surplus of pilots.

Nevertheless, respect to FlyBE . because they are one of a few carriers willing to take on self-sponsored (non type-rated) crew.. and yes their pay is pants BUT if money is so imperative then what donkey would consider being a pilot.. go and become a trader innit

To those wishing to gain the sponsorship, I wish you all the best, yes it is about £33k but they've got financial stability and it's a 99% guaranteed job!
Old 21st Sep 2004, 16:39

Angry

Does anyone know what s the maximum experience u can have? or knows what it was like in the past?
I am approaching from 200 hours and should start aerotowing/para droping quite soon.
Is it the kind of sponsorship where they are looking for real abinitios, thinking that people with to many flight hours have bad flying habits?
Also what kind of other experience (other than flying) do they like?

Cheers

Winch
Old 21st Sep 2004, 19:42

I have it from a fairly reliable source that the selecting school prefer you to have Maths, Physics at a-level, and an aero-engineering related degree. To them, you will present the least risk of failing any part of the course.
Old 22nd Sep 2004, 14:35

How silly can you get? When there is a surplus of well trainind pilots out there who already have a frozen atpl.
Old 22nd Sep 2004, 15:35

Gmima, hasn't that always been the case? and yet there have always been sponsorship schemes too. It seems some airlines prefer to recruit that way (not that its done those who recruit fATPL holders too much harm, recruiting already qualified pilots!)

PW
Old 22nd Sep 2004, 15:49
AJ

Guess it's easier to retain bonded cadets.

Still mighty good opportunity for anyone that qualifies; I'm certainly not complaining - life's a lot harder if you live in the US or the Antipodes where airlines wouldn't dream at looking at anyone shy of 3000hrs...
Old 22nd Sep 2004, 17:04

I've sent off for the information, but expect it to be very similar to what they offered last year:
You pay £33,484 (to be precise)
They pay £23,265

Now the bit that interests me on top of the above is the line:

I]Once employed by flyBE, the pilot candidate will be paid the appropriate Sponsored Pilot's salary, which may be less than the market rate appropriate to a non-sponsored employee.[/I]

Looking at F/O wages on the Q400 (which I suspect the sponsored cadets would fly) is £24,336, and with the above line from the prospectus last year, I'm interested in what the starting salary would be - £20k?

With a debt to repay of £33,000 + living costs for that year in training, what's that going to leave you to live on and how long do you stay on the 'Sponsored Pilot's' pay? Will it be for 5 years so you effectively pay for your whole training?....?????

Sponsorship is great, but how do-able is it?

I'm also looking at paying for the APP at Oxford and I'll be looking at what my options are closely - the sponsorship may not be the best workable option, although it does offer slightly better security at the end of training.

Any other thoughts on this?
Old 22nd Sep 2004, 18:51
AJ

Maybe I don't get it but this is how I see it:

1/ Pay around £70k to go to Oxford (after factoring in possible resits and miscellaneous items not included in the course costs.)

- No guarantee that bank will lend you that amount.

- If they do, you'll need security which brings up further complications.

- Most importantly: much less chance of getting a job immediately after graduating.

- Very high loan repayments (approx. £650/month judging by previous posts on pprune).

2/ Part sponsorship, if successful;

- Pay significantly less

- Bank likely to look much more favourably on applicant given a potential employer is involved

- possibly more favourable terms due to sponsorship (i.e. no security required)

- much higher chance of moving straight into employment (i.e. with flybe.)

- lower loan repayments, certainly more affordable if you're actually earning something instead of nothing.

As for £20,000, it's not a bad salary at all, and living costs shouldn't present too much of a problem if you're not living in or around London. (Not sure where the airline would base you though).

As for the cadet salary, forgive me for being naive, but if I got that sponsorship the exact details of the cadet salary wouldn't be foremost on my mind. You wouldn't be bonded to them for ever...

To me the choice seems obvious...apply for all the sponsorships going, providing you're elegible. The alternative costs a lot more...
Old 22nd Sep 2004, 20:50

Good call

AJ - That's a good call which sums it up correctly. The key here has to be that rare thing called 'a good likelihood of getting a job', something rather scarce in other self funded routes.

Good luck everyone.
Old 22nd Sep 2004, 22:50

Does anyone know how long it takes (approx.) for the recruiting officer at Cabair to send a reply to the initial request for information?

S.71
Old 23rd Sep 2004, 15:02

I also have sent off for the pack with no information having as yet being received.

£20k a year is more than those CTC types get!
Old 28th Sep 2004, 12:41

Has anyone received an application form yet?
Old 28th Sep 2004, 13:40

Still waiting here for the forms to arrive.

Cheers
Old 28th Sep 2004, 14:48
JT8

£20k a year is more than those CTC types get!
Erm.... I turned a job down with Flybe am and now with easyJet via the CTC ATP scheme. Over the 6 months I pocket £8k, then get full FO salary (around £40k including sector pay).

Read up on the flybe scheme before doing diving in, the salary may work out much less than you anticipate.
Old 28th Sep 2004, 14:58

checking the post every day, nothing yet... did anyone get an e-mail acknowledgement?

S.71
Old 28th Sep 2004, 15:06

Don't panic about not receiving the prospectus and application forms yet, apparently they have only just been delivered to Cabair so shall no doubt be posted out in the next few days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.