Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Ground & Other Ops Forums > ATC Issues
Reload this Page >

ATC Selection Exams

Wikiposts
Search
ATC Issues A place where pilots may enter the 'lions den' that is Air Traffic Control in complete safety and find out the answers to all those obscure topics which you always wanted to know the answer to but were afraid to ask.

ATC Selection Exams

Search this Thread

Old 4th Nov 2001, 20:36

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post ATC Selection Exams

Hi Folks,

I have applied to NAT's with the hope of becoming an ATC, and have just received all the information and example test papers from them.

I have a quick question to ask. Does anyone know if the Motivation and Interest paper is open book ?. There seems to be rather a lot of info to take in regarding FL's and speeds (and thats just the end part of the booklet, there is a further 14 pages of info to absorb ) for 24 different aircraft. Would I have to try and remember this or is it an open book "skimming" exercise ? The paper says the questions are taken from the provided booklet and a thorough read is advised, but doesn't say if you can take notes/the booklet into the exam .

Has anyone recently been through the NAT's selection process, any advice ?

Thanks, Rick

[ 04 November 2001: Message edited by: Romeo India Charlie Kilo ]
Old 4th Nov 2001, 21:10

Talking

Get used to it, most of our exams in training require learning word for word. At least they give you a clue and warn you to read it thoroughly.

Once you get into the swing it won't take long.

Good luck
Old 5th Nov 2001, 21:24

Cool

RICK

Study the booklet and any other books you can get your hands on. Very competitive selection process so determined preparation is the key.

PS. Are you able to scan the sample paper and email it to me? If you can I will swop you my HTML document about the selection process, crammed with hints, tips and some more aptitude type questions - and an aircraft recognition section. I would like the paper to add to this document so I can make it available to future ATCO wannabes

Cheers
GW

[edited to remove accidental double entendre]

[ 05 November 2001: Message edited by: Goldfish Watcher ]
Old 6th Nov 2001, 18:04

Smile

R I C K,

Sorry you'll just have to inwardly digest it, you can't use any notes or open book etc...
Thats how it is

NsR
Old 9th Nov 2001, 17:05
left outer, right inner

Wink

Goldfish Watcher.....

I too am just about to sit the initial stage selection tests up in london. If you want a copy of the booklet, then I will be glad to scan it quickly, in return for the html doc!!!! I tried your e-mail but I had no access to it even when logged in.

Thanks

LORI

Old 12th Nov 2001, 02:35

Unhappy

Sorry Bud
If you think that little booklet is too tough to learn maybe this isn't the job for you.
Just in case you do luck through you'd better get used to the pedantry thrown around by controllers. The company is NATS not NAT's and we are ATCOs not ATCs.
Good luck - you'll need it. SN
Old 12th Nov 2001, 05:33
left outer, right inner

Wink

Rick/Goldfish Watcher

Please would you e-mail the html doc to me if it is not too much trouble. I did offer to scan the booklet for you, but if that has already been done for you goldfish then great. It would be a great help for my preparation and for others' too!!

Thanks a lot for your time and help.

LORI

Old 13th Nov 2001, 10:59

Alpha 16 - u got the hots for Rick or what ?
Old 13th Nov 2001, 14:51

Smile

rick - i too am re-sitting the selection exams like alpha 16. get used to learning that booklet - if u are invited to attend the interview stage then you'll get a booklet ten times bigger and more confusing. they do expect you to learn it offhand and i suppose it's just an indication that you are motivated towards a career in atc and have a certain level of committment towards it. that was how i failed at the final hurdle at prestwick last year - personnel declared a lack of motivation towards a career in atc! sorted it out this time round though....anyway, all the best

ps alpha 16 - i tried emailing u at your pprune address before about the glasgow selection tests next week. did u get the mail?
Old 15th Nov 2001, 02:44

Wink

I have my selection tests on Dec. 4th in Manchester. I am a little apprehensive as I havent sat them before.

I received all the info from NATS, however futher help would be most appreciated!

I have sat (and passed) various aptitude tests with BA, Airtours, BMi etc, so I am willing to swap any info on test sessions.

Good luck to you all.