Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Rotorheads
Reload this Page >

Mark Thatcher arrested

Wikiposts
Search
Rotorheads A haven for helicopter professionals to discuss the things that affect them

Mark Thatcher arrested

Search this Thread

Old 26th Aug 2004, 15:25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mark Thatcher arrested

Latest reports mention Mark Thatcher's alleged involvement in supplying a helicopter for the alleged conspirators......allegedly. Well, any rumours from Cape Town? Does Mark, (sorry I mean Sir Mark) own a chopper down there? If so, what type? Any details, rumours, gossip etc. would be much appreciated.
Old 26th Aug 2004, 15:34

Leftpedal do you have a transcript of the news in regard to Sir Mark. The details are rather sketchy. We heard that he had funded a coup.
Old 26th Aug 2004, 15:40

Sir Mark latest

I'm afraid that I know little more than what I've read on the bbc website. I did meet an instructor in Cape Town a couple of years ago though, who did Mark Thatcher's flight test renewal. I believe he holds an American CPL (Helicopter).
Old 26th Aug 2004, 17:40

Received 652 Likes on 287 Posts
I did my jetranger conversion and check in Mark (I can't call him Sir, it sticks in my throat as it is a hereditary peerage) Thatcher's 206 in the 80s - I hope that doesn't make me an accessory before the fact!!
Old 26th Aug 2004, 20:21

Received 524 Likes on 219 Posts
Crab,

The sin is being known to have associated with someone that actually holds an FAA licence I would suggest!
Old 26th Aug 2004, 20:33

Mark Thatcher is most famous in UK for getting lost during the Paris-Dakkar rally - someone said on the TV today that he was surprised to be arrested byb the South African police - he thought he was in the USA!!
Old 27th Aug 2004, 02:18

Received 524 Likes on 219 Posts
Crab,

We don't have nav and plotting papers in our part of the world....simple reading tests....that way one should be able to read the water towers and train station signs. The scarcity of which in that part of the world might explain the reason for his presence in places he did not intend to be.

....getting a bit bored waiting for the whistle to blow....dogs are trailing an escaped bank robber....and might just get to go chase him.....would be a fitting end to a rather dreary day in the office!
Old 27th Aug 2004, 05:28

He certainly used to own a helicopter in the UK before he moved down to RSA - JetRanger G-SHZZ based at Booker to be precise
Old 27th Aug 2004, 06:23

Yup, that's the one, just as well I didn't have to do a navex in it!