Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

Jag incident in Akrotiri

Wikiposts
Search
Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

Jag incident in Akrotiri

Search this Thread

Old 11th Jul 2004, 19:06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Jag incident in Akrotiri

Anyone know anything more about a Jag incident on take off form Akrotiri last week, poss. Thursday? Believe it was leaving having completed an APC and collided with an aerial??
Old 11th Jul 2004, 19:20

57 ft I recall we were told this morning before..................
Old 11th Jul 2004, 21:28

Received 30 Likes on 9 Posts
Did some over-cautious mod pull the original thread?

Tosser!
Old 12th Jul 2004, 07:23
McD

Now, now, Jacko, before you go and call anyone a tosser

I had a look at the Admin section, and don't see any such thread in there (which is where it would go if someone had a problem with the thread).

Was there a thread posted earlier on this subject? I never saw it if there was one.

But if there was a thread, then my honestly-best guess is that the original poster must have deleted it, because it doesn't appear that any mod (overzealous or not ) has done anything.

However...here's something interesting. I notice that on 8 July 1994 (not 8 July 2004 which would have been last Thursday), an RAF aircraft (a Tornado, I think?) did crash into the sea near Akrotiri during APC. Do you suppose someone has their decades mixed up?
Old 12th Jul 2004, 07:33

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts
McD

There was a thread posted earlier on this very subject, it ran for about the last 2 days and got up to 13 odd replies, there is no mix up with the date.

As you surmise it might well have been pulled by the originator, he was asked to do so at one point!
Old 12th Jul 2004, 07:39

Confusion

There may be a coincidence between dates but there is abig difference between a Tornado and a Jaguar, and between the sea and an aerial.

Something fishy going on, inconvenient timing for bad news involving the Jaguar, who knows? There's a story out there that may involve a senior officer flying lower than he should have been and getting caught out .

One things for sure, I will certainly not be flying in Cyprus on 8 July 2014 though!!
Old 12th Jul 2004, 09:02

SS2

Why will no one be flying from Cyprus on 8/7/2014?
Is it on a weekend?
Old 12th Jul 2004, 09:15
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...

Received 1,761 Likes on 801 Posts
I believe the implication is that he has reached, or is approaching, the status of KOS and will be otherwise employed by then. You never know though, it might be a civilian airport by then....
Old 12th Jul 2004, 09:28

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
McD - Biggus is right. I was taking part in the original, and it disappeared about the middle of Sunday. I'm pretty sure the originator will have deleted it, as the general opinion was that it was out of order. I wont provide any details, in the same spirit, but I will say "Well done feret, good decision".
Old 12th Jul 2004, 09:42

Chris Kebab,

At a guess, I would be fairly positive of your mil credentials - who else would know of that hallowed eating place? You may, however, wish to wonder to whom you are replying when obvious pseudonyms (only 2 posts, blank profile) appear and start fishing. No offence SS2, but you seem like a journo to me. At least we know what we get with Jacko.

AFT - respect.
Old 12th Jul 2004, 15:58

Maybe this is a new initiative to reduce the number of Jaguars without the politically unacceptable need to admit a reduction in front line capability!! It seems unlikely that the rumours about the circumstances are true. Ninety years of experience and a basic mistake like flying in to a lighting rig.

Anyway, with the spending increase of 1.4% in real terms the chancellor has just announced, we can afford new lights and to take the upset locals out for a kebab and a keo.
Old 12th Jul 2004, 18:51

Captain Kirk - thanks for the vote of confidence in my "credentials" which, I am led to believe, are more than adequate but not for display on this forum! No I am not the main man CK - more of a tribute act!

Agree fully with the fishing on the first post but I tend to fall on the "rumour network" side of the argument.

As for the incident, the initial report (SS - no conspiracy involved) makes no mention of height. He may be OK - I can think of many who have got away with worse mistakes than an overcooked detachment take-off.

But then again clipping something was a tad unfortunate..
Old 12th Jul 2004, 22:09
McD

I guess I never saw the original post -- my curse for having to work through the weekends

Still, you gotta admit, it's an eerie coincidence, those dates.
Old 13th Jul 2004, 07:14

Oh Dear!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2004321065,00.html
Old 13th Jul 2004, 07:45

I like the way the contrast between the BBC news site version and the Sun.

And here I was thinking that a TopGun was an American fighter pilot, not a British bomber boy.
Old 13th Jul 2004, 10:00
ppf

Here's the Beebs version............

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3888839.stm

ppf

Old 13th Jul 2004, 10:06

Received 333 Likes on 116 Posts
"He realised that the light on his wing tip wasn't working shortly after take-off and returned."

Of course - silly of anyone to think otherwise! What a truly classic piece of nonsense from a Whitehall spin doctor!
Old 13th Jul 2004, 11:09

That must be the nav light failure caption on the warning panel! If the silly tart is military, she should have known better. If she was a civil servant, she should go back to her open plan office and sit down in her £1,000 chair.
Old 13th Jul 2004, 15:19

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
No wonder the light was not working - it was disconnected from the mains!
Old 13th Jul 2004, 17:38

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Thought this might be a useful addition to the vocabulary of The Sun's journalists (who, of course, are bound to read this forum ).

pi·lot

1. One who operates or is licensed to operate an aircraft in flight.

2. Nautical.
a. One who, though not belonging to a ship's company, is licensed to conduct a ship into and out of port or through dangerous waters.
b. The helmsman of a ship.

3. One who guides or directs a course of action for others.

4. The part of a tool, device, or machine that leads or guides the whole.

5. A pilot light, as in a stove.

6. A television program produced as a prototype of a series being considered for adoption by a network.

7. Not directly exchangeable for 'ace' or 'Top Gun'.

Was I not reading hard enough, or did they not use the word at all in the report?

Ginge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.