Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Misc. Forums > Spectators Balcony (Spotters Corner)
Reload this Page >

Eva Air B744 Nose Gear Collapses at LHR

Wikiposts
Search
Spectators Balcony (Spotters Corner) If you're not a professional pilot but want to discuss issues about the job, this is the best place to loiter. You won't be moved on by 'security' and there'll be plenty of experts to answer any questions.

Search this Thread

Old 23rd May 2004, 10:00

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An Eva Air B744 has suffered from a collapse of the nose gear whilst parked on a remote stand near T3 @ LHR.

As yet cause in unkown.

Old 23rd May 2004, 11:53

Flight had been delayed overnight due to hydraulic problems and when it was towed off to a remote stand in the early hours of the morning, the tug team forgot to put the pin in the gear which caused its collapse.

A/c has a fair bit of damage by all accounts.

Old 24th May 2004, 11:38

747 Photo

Hi there,

I work for BBC News and would love to talk to the person that took that still of the 747 on it's nose. Could you give the newsdesk a ring on 020 8624 9001.

Many thanks
Old 24th May 2004, 21:15

I believe most of the damage was caused when the aircraft collasped onto a ground power unit underneath it. I guess this aircraft will be staying at heathrow for a while. The reg for any spotters viewing this is B-16462.
Old 28th May 2004, 16:29

Due to a problem with the gear the aircraft was towed away from the gate for maintenance. Pins were installed on all gears and the maint crew started to recycle the levers. As they did this the nose gear pin started to shake/ rattle/move out slowly. On the fifth cycle the pin dislodged itself and the rest is history!!!

Most of the damage was when the fuselage hit the GPU below. when that happened #3 eng hit the ground.

**** happens and i hope the ground guys survive the inquiry.
Old 29th May 2004, 13:46

It is confirmed there was no ground power unit under the nose. All damage was confined to the collapse of the nose onto the ground. Nose doors pushed in, fuselage rippling around undercarriage bay.