Wikiposts
Search
Private Flying LAA/BMAA/BGA/BPA The sheer pleasure of flight.

Airfield codes

Search this Thread

Old 15th Mar 2004, 19:27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airfield codes

This is a private flying forum and most, but not all, who read this will be connected with aviation. Of those that are no doubt most will be private pilots. So why the hell do people use designated codes instead on recognisable names? Perversity? Trying to sound "professional"? Who knows where EGPD is without looking it up? So before those that know each and everyone starts shouting - consider how sad you really must be. And for those that do know please tell me why you learnt them all?
Old 15th Mar 2004, 19:57

Some more money for Capt PPRuNe

Can't wait to get down to EGKA...
Old 15th Mar 2004, 20:01
BRL

Hi there, That is where I am based EGKA, I also drive past EGKK everyday too you know..!!!!!
Old 15th Mar 2004, 20:08

And for those that do know please tell me why you learnt them all?
The job!
Old 15th Mar 2004, 20:17
FNG
Not so N, but still FG

Well said, Hard Working bloke, there. Trouble is, you have touched on one of private aviation's sordid little secrets: at least half of the desperate addicts love all that phonetic alphabet, airline pilot stuff. Why, they probably own, gasp...pilot bags, discuss headsets in front of non-consenting adults, and are keen to find out if they can log the time if they sit on a bus next to a bloke who once went flying . Why it is that anyone should wish to emulate the members of a poorly paid, badly treated, not even high status anymore profession who spend their time minding machines to see that the thing that goes bing! is indeed going bing! at the appropriate intervals is itself an impenetrable mystery, beyond mortal understanding.

PS none of this applies to any airline pilot who has ever bought me a drink in the bar at the airfield (must look up the code one day), all of whom are very Gods of the skies.
Old 15th Mar 2004, 20:18

Where can we find a list of these codes then ?
Old 15th Mar 2004, 20:36

How sad you must be???!!! Sounds as if you're slightly bitter cos' you don't know em'!
Chilli Monster nailed it in 2 words though! Spot On!
I suppose you'll be ranting on about 3 letter codes next.......flew into BOH the other day, then drove past BRS on the way home...............!
Old 15th Mar 2004, 20:54

Why do it if it's not fun?

I agree... always try not to use them.

A few hints, though, if other people do use the codes. This might not pin down the exact airfield, but it'll help at least pin down the area.

UK codes all start with EG - you probably knew that already. The next letter, though, gives you a good idea what part of the country it's in. For example:

EGLx = west London
EGKx = south of London
EGHx = south coast, Solent
EGPx = Scotland

I'm sure there are exceptions to this, but at least if people start talking about EGKA and EGKK (hi Fuji, BRL ) I know they're talking about somewhere to the south of London....

FFF
-----------
Old 15th Mar 2004, 20:59

Grab a pen and start compiling a list

For starters:-

EGBG Leicester
EGBE Coventry
EGTC Cranfield
EGBW Wellesbourne
Old 15th Mar 2004, 21:06

Smile ICAO Codes

Take a look here for a list of UK airfield locator codes.

Personally I can never remember them. I know EGLM and EGLL and that is about it!!!
Old 15th Mar 2004, 21:07

Sub Judice Angel Lovegod

flew into BOH the other day
IFR? MSA - NDB BIA - ILS DME RWY 08? I-BMH IDENT OK? CAT A 273 OB, 079 INBD? VAT - MAP, RVR OK? PAPIS, RWY TDZ, Beta, GND FREQ?

T

UK codes all start with EG - you probably knew that already. The next letter, though, gives you a good idea what part of the country it's in.
OK, clever clogs, where is EGTx?

Timothy
Old 15th Mar 2004, 21:39
Chocks away!

I used to fly reguarly from EGKR (oops, I mean Redhill) but now from EGKA (oops again - Shoreham). Because EGKR don't issue TAFs I used to use Gatwick's (EGKK).

Once I decided to fly from Redhill to Alderney and filed the flight plan as departure airport as EGKK instead of EGKR because I was so used to typing in EGKK.

It was most hilarious at Alderney as they thought they had a plane arriving from Gatwick which would have been the biggest plane they ever had landing there!

So make sure you get your K's and R's not mixed up. More confusing now flying from Shoreham to Alderney as its EGKA to EGJA. Easy to transpose those!

Old 15th Mar 2004, 23:27

Timothy,
EGTx? UK FIR codes?

Had to learn the ICAO codes when I did my time working in airline flight ops.

Does come in useful when accessing Met/Notams over the net for selected airfields and for filing flight plans though.

Best Rgds

PoC
Old 16th Mar 2004, 05:58

"How sad you must be???!!! Sounds as if you're slightly bitter cos' you don't know em'!
Chilli Monster nailed it in 2 words though! Spot On!
I suppose you'll be ranting on about 3 letter codes next.......flew into BOH the other day, then drove past BRS on the way home...............!"

Well it certainly raised a few hackles. I know those codes I need at any time and as I don't use the majority of airfields all the time I have no real need to know the rest. If your job determined you know them then good luck. As for the rest - do you wear jumpers with gold bars as well?
Old 16th Mar 2004, 06:44
Evo

UK codes all start with EG - you probably knew that already. The next letter, though, gives you a good idea what part of the country it's in. For example:

EGHx = south coast, Solent
So EGUS wouldn't be on the Solent then....?
Old 16th Mar 2004, 08:24
High Flying Bird

do you wear jumpers with gold bars as well
No, but I have some on my pyjamas.
Old 16th Mar 2004, 08:46

I fly out of EGBJ. Soon found an acronym for 'BJ' to remember it by!

Old 16th Mar 2004, 10:12

Sub Judice Angel Lovegod

Could this be the saddest ever PPRuNe thread?*

Why can't people just be left to decide what language conveys most meaning and least confusion for their target audience for themselves, without the Style Police telling them that there's something wrong with them?

Timothy

* Oh, no, I've just remembered that the conversation about whether it's OK to call an Aztec a PA27 was at least equally sad.
Old 16th Mar 2004, 10:45
Evo

Could this be the saddest ever PPRuNe thread?
There was one about the vital importance of explaining to ATC that you were in a PA-28R rather than a plain-vanilla PA-28.

"G-CD, traffic is a PA28..."

"NEGATIVE, G-IT is a PA28RRRRR"

"Roger, G-IT, hold at SODOF..."

And as for the PA-28RT drivers...
Old 16th Mar 2004, 11:27

The PA28 and PA28R difference could become important, particularly if carrying out a surveillance radar approach........high cockpit workload......1/2 mile SRA...........WHOOPS! forgot to put the dangly bits down!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.