Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

Aircrew Retention

Wikiposts
Search
Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

Aircrew Retention

Search this Thread

Old 16th Dec 2003, 18:56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel Aircrew Retention

Anyone out there managed to defer acceptance of PAS until after next year's level of FRI2 is known - or made acceptance of PAS conditional on it remaining at £50K??

Just coming up to the 38 point so any advice/experience appreciated!!

Cheers

VageR
Old 17th Dec 2003, 00:18

Pilot Officer PPRuNe

Hope your not an ME pilot cause you may not need to worry about it at all
Old 17th Dec 2003, 01:18

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
If I was a betting man, I'd guess FRIs will be a lot lower or even non-existant next year.
Old 17th Dec 2003, 01:29

Received 278 Likes on 113 Posts
Don't drop the pins from the black-and-yellow handles, chaps.

Perhaps reTENTion is the nub for some?

Last edited by BEagle; 17th Dec 2003 at 01:44.
Old 17th Dec 2003, 05:52

Question

On a similar vain, back when the FRI’s were introduced, the following was one question and answer from the original Q&A Brief:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question

Having made a career decision (immediate pension point minus one year), which was influenced by the amount of ARR FRI 2 at that time, can that decision be reversed should the ARR FRI be subsequently reduced?

Answer given at the time

We are examining this issue with a view to finding a solution. We will make proposals to the Armed Forces’ Pay Review Body about how reductions might be managed which we hope will avoid the need for this to arise. We will inform you of the outcome of those discussions as soon as it is available.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone know the official situation on this now?

Cheers

D4R
Old 18th Dec 2003, 01:54

Angry

Finally managed to speak to someone far enough up the Admin food chain to get a decent answer to our queries.

FRI’s and PA are considered separate issues, totally independent of each other. You must accept an offer of PA not later than 12 months to go to your 38/16 point. Signing on signifies that you accept the Terms of Service of PA, which make no mention of FRI’s or their value.

So, VR, I think your chances of deferring your final decision about accepting PA are negligible. As to the question I posted earlier, if you accept PA based on receiving a given FRI, which is then reduced/binned completely – tough, you should have been psychic!

I for one will take any FRI as a welcome extra, and hope that I don’t get a UB40 instead.

D4R
Old 18th Dec 2003, 02:26

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Tonkenna,

Are you implying that ME pilots reaching their 16/38 point will not be assimilated or offered PA due to the huge ME surplus?
Old 18th Dec 2003, 05:13

Pilot Officer PPRuNe

That may well be true
Old 18th Dec 2003, 05:20

Thanks for confirming pretty much what i thought!! will just have to get the vaselene out and oil the bat ready!!!

Have to have words with my mum, if she'd have held out another week or so then I'd have:
a. got a bigger FRI 1
b. had all the facts available post Apr 1

******, ******, ******!
Old 18th Dec 2003, 10:20

Vage Rot

Been out over a year and unless things have changed - your PMA desk officer can delay your 12-month point decision by a couple of months on his own authority. Then his boss can do the same by another couple of months. It then brings the a. decision point to the b. exit point to about 8 months. Working on the assumption that you have max resettlement, carried leave, annual leave, etc(4 months-ish) you can make the decision and be out in about 4 months. You can fax the offer of assimilation back on the last day.
I know numerous people in the past(self included) who played the game and asked for more time to make the decision due to influences. 1001 variations that justify the support of the desk guys who should be flexible after that many years service. After all the system has assessed you as above average and worth keeping.

Good luck
Old 19th Dec 2003, 04:33

Please don't tell me it might actually become fashionable to be a rotary driver? or that someone needs them - shome mistake surely!
Old 19th Dec 2003, 15:59

F.M.T,

Thanks, I'll speak to the man in the New year! Only need to defer it a few weeks so shouldn't be a snag hopefully!!

Arty,

Surely competition for PAS implies that most people want to stay!!! In which case do we need retention incentives??!! Perhaps worth starting an ASCOT campaign to not accept offers of PAS until the last day!! At least keep them sweating on the figures and may result in decent FRI!!!

Happy Crimbo to all of you and safe flying, mind you, unless I get my A55 back in the air soon this desk stands more chance of killing me than an aeroplane ever did!

Vage R
Old 19th Dec 2003, 17:04

Just a thought:

What's the general opinion of splitting up FRI, depending on your role / branch?
Wouldn't it make sense, for example, to pay rotary guys more FRI if we were short of them, and multi engine guys less? Likewise, if we're short of pilots but not navs (or vice versa) why not pay different FRI rates?
Personally, before any goes for the "devisive" argument I would just like to say that I think that that argument is bollocks.