Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > African Aviation
Reload this Page >

Hydro Air Accident

Wikiposts
Search
African Aviation Regional issues that affect the numerous pilots who work in this area of the world.

Hydro Air Accident

Search this Thread

Old 29th Nov 2003, 15:26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Hydro Air Accident

Does anyone have any further news ?.

Is it for definite the crew are all okay ?.

Apparently U/C destroyed and wings separated from airframe - is that correct ?.

Not good for AFRICA.......
Old 29th Nov 2003, 16:05

was the runway not closed?
Old 29th Nov 2003, 16:42

Don't know much but what I heard was that a NOTAM was issued that the RWY was closed but ATC cleared them to land anyway and hit an obstruction on the RWY
Not sure if true though but if so bad form from my african conterparts
Old 29th Nov 2003, 16:51

At which airport did it happen chaps?
Old 29th Nov 2003, 17:04

Please give some more details - it's news to me.

Thanks.
Old 29th Nov 2003, 23:18

Apparently Lagos.

What's new. Anything possible in Lagos. Glad crew OK. Anybody know names. Heard Captain was Paul Theron. Bad news for Hydro though. Heard ditch was dug accros RWY which ripped of nosegear and RH maingear.
Old 30th Nov 2003, 07:18

I have no information regarding this incident besides a speculation:

The runway was being repaired pending Queen Elizabeth's visit next week (Commonwealth summit).

This is not the first (and probably not the last) time Lagos ATC screws up royally. In 1996, LOS Tower incompetence cost 149 people their lives (ADC 727 crash).

I wish the crew a speedy recovery.
Old 30th Nov 2003, 13:39

From The Guardian

A FOREIGN cargo airplane B777 belonging to Hydro Air cargo crashed yesterday at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport Lagos with no casualty. The aircraft had nine crew members on board.

The aircraft, with registration number Z-S00S, was said to be coming from Brussels, Belgium to Lagos, enroute Johannesburg when it crashed on the closed 1/9 right runway of the airport.

The runaway was closed to traffic last week Tuesday, so that it could undergo re-surfacing.

The Guardian gathered that the crash occurred at about 2.35am with the pilot and crew members of the ill-fated aircraft suffering minor shock and were later interviewed by the Accident Investigation Bureau (AIB) of the Ministry of Aviation.

The permanent secretary, Federal Ministry of Aviation, Mr. Tomi Oyelade who visited the scene of the crash confirmed to journalists that no life was lost in the crash.

He said that the accident investigators arrived immediately at the scene of the crash, stressing that they had commenced investigations.

According to him: "the cause of the accident shall be made known as soon as investigation is completed."

The Guardian also learnt from a top official of the Nigerian Airspace Management Agency (NAMA) that the aircraft wanted to make a stop over in Lagos to discharge some cargo, refuel and go back to Johannesburg when it crashlanded on the runaway.

Journalists were barred from going to the site of the crash, as airport authorities cited security reasons. Aviation sources have surprise over the crash.

But the spokesman for NAMA, Mr. Ben Goong who also confirmed the closure of the bad runway said that foreign and domestic airlines were notified on the bad runway, advising them to take the alternative ones.

He however informed that the AIPB has met with the crew of the airline and interviewed them to unravel why the aircraft landed on the bad runway.

He commended the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) fire fighters who quickly rushed to the scheme in case there was fire outbreak.

The insurance company, Hydro Air Cargo, owners of the aircraft, have already arrived to check the extent of damage to the aircraft.

The ministry of Aviation has suspended the air traffic controller on duty on the day of the crash.

It would be recalled that a Boeing 747 cargo aircraft belonging to M.K Airlines swirled and crashed in IPO village about 700 metres from the Port Harcourt International Airport almost two years ago.

The Boeing 747-200, operated by the United Kingdom-based airlines, crashed while trying to land in the coastal city of Port Harcourt. The crew was made up of Britons and Americans.

The aircraft had left Luxembourg for Johannesburg in South Africa via Port Harcourt.

Among those who visited the scene of the accident yesterday were the managing directors of NAMA, Alhaji Yusuf Mohammed, FAAN, Alhaji Sani Baba and the Director General of the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) Mr. Fidelix Onyeyiri

for 777 read 747 and this is what it use to look like

Last edited by Engineer; 30th Nov 2003 at 13:51.
Old 30th Nov 2003, 17:54

777? Z-S00S? 1/9 Right?

Ah, yes, good old Guardian!

(Last time I heard of 1/9, it was an old Fiat sports car!)
Old 30th Nov 2003, 20:25

I see that Little One and the NAMA spokesman both inferred that there was a NOTAM saying that the runway was closed for repairs. Does anyone know if that was the case?

Rani, you say that you have no informationregarding this incident besides a speculation. But then you say:

This is not the first (and probably not the last) time Lagos ATC screws up royally. In 1996, LOS Tower incompetence cost 149 people their lives (ADC 727 crash).
Is this also a speculation or is it based on official findings on the cause of the crash?
Old 1st Dec 2003, 00:04

Mama mangrove,

The official report of the AIB was never released, and probably, will never be. I am amongst those who believe that LOS ATC cleared the ADC 727-200 to FL030 without realizing it was at FL240 (thus causing the head-on collision potential with the TRIAX 727, which was at FL160). If you recall, the captain overstretched the aircraft's limits in his evasive maneuvers, causing the a/c to spin and attain speed of sound in the dive to its doom.

I am aware, however, that the working conditions for Nigerian controllers are substandard (lack of radar coverage and inoperative ILS), in addition to their impoverishment and demotivation. This wasn't and shouldn't be excuse for lack of vigorous training and re-training of the controllers, since the lives of thousands of passengers in/out of LOS depend on their concentration and professionalism.

Nigerian aviation authorities are yet to show signs of change of attitude. The Hydro crash is yet another avoidable incident. Fortunately nobody died.

From THISDAY of Lagos:

Foreign Aircraft Crash-Lands in Lagos
By Ndubuisi Francis

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A cargo aircraft belonging to Hydro Air Cargo, Brussels, Belgium weekend crash-landed at the international wing of the Murtala Muhammed Airport, Lagos. No Lives were lost.

The B747 aircraft with registration number ZS-OOS was enrouted Johannesburg, Sou-th Africa before it suffered the fate.

A statement issued by the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Aviation, Mr. Tomi Oyelade said the accident occurred at 2.35 am on Saturday, Nove-mber 29.

Already, accident investigators from the Accident Inves-tigation Bureau (AIB) unit of the ministry has commenced investigations into the accident.

Although the cause of the accident remained unknown as at press time yesterday, THISDAY gathered that seven people aboard the aircraft had been evacuated with some of them sustaining minor injuries.

It was also gathered that the 19R runway where the accident occurred has been temporarily closed pending the conclusion of investigations.

Sources told THISDAY that fire fighters responded with despatch to the accident.

The statement from the ministry added that the cause of the accident would be disclosed as soon as investigation is concluded.

The Aviation Minister, Mallam Isa Yuguda only Friday night travelled to Canada for an official engagement.
Old 3rd Dec 2003, 06:45

Can anyone confirm the names of the Hydro crew, and whether they're definitely OK? I've got a friend there, and he's not answering email at the moment.

Thanks for any gen.

t
Old 3rd Dec 2003, 07:33

Has anyone seen any photos of the wreckage yet?
Its been almost a week and still no shots of the plane.
Has it been determine the A/C is a write-off??
Old 3rd Dec 2003, 16:16
ou Trek dronkie

Tired

The captain was Paul Theron.

Old 4th Dec 2003, 05:40

Dankie meneer.

I gather everyone got out alright?
Old 4th Dec 2003, 08:20

Apparently, they were cleared to land on 19R even after confirming with ATC the runway was indeed open (as a Notam indicated its closure). They hit the first obstacle at about 130 knots then a second one. They lost the nose and left main gears and skidded off the left side of the runway. I have seen the aircraft myself: all engines are still attached with #3 and 4 apparently intact but #1 and 2 have suffered damage. There is no sign of fire (as far as I can tell: I never got closer than 200 meters...). The ATC on duty fled the scene and was arrested the following morning...

Glad they are all ok.

Cheers
Old 4th Dec 2003, 18:09

Sleeping Freight Dog

This link is for you.

http://www.airdisaster.com/photos/zs-oos/photo.shtml

General Note to all:
I have been reading so many comments on this accident from the different Forums, and they are getting out of hand with all the "so called" information running around. I am referring to airliners.net forum and many others. The crew did a good job to keep it on a "even keel" and walk away from the aircraft. Sad about the aircraft.
MAY none of us - as fellow aviators judge the actions of the crew until the A.I.B has released their findings on the accident.
Well gents I am sorry if I stood on someones toes, but I had to give my pennies worth.

Regards to all who read pprune and may we all fly safely and have a very good Xmas.
Old 4th Dec 2003, 18:27

Charlie

Were you there ? hope you are OK - thoughts are with you buddy!
Old 4th Dec 2003, 18:44

gofor

If the question was for me - No

Just like to keep my ear to the ground when it comes to aviation. I must say that when there is an accident or incident people are very quick to point fingers at the crew before getting the facts.

Enjoy
Old 4th Dec 2003, 18:55

Saaavi8r
Message is for Charles La Hardy (SP?) p2 with Hydro - Hope it helps??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.