Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Non-Airline Forums > Private Flying
Reload this Page >

Got my seaplane rating

Wikiposts
Search
Private Flying LAA/BMAA/BGA/BPA The sheer pleasure of flight.

Got my seaplane rating

Search this Thread

Old 6th Nov 2003, 05:45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Got my seaplane rating

Long time since I posted anything here but then again it has been a long time since I've been flying. Until recently that is, when I got my seaplane rating at Jack Brown's in Florida.
It was great fun and got me a different type of experience. Admittedly, my opportunities for flying seaplanes are rather limited, but it is nice to have done it. I believe that quite a few people combine doing their rating with a BFR.

Anyway, if you're interested in reading more about what I did, you can take a look at my weblog. There are pictures there too.
Old 6th Nov 2003, 06:29

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well done!

I had a go at getting mine this summer, with Keith Fraser's operation on Vancouver Island, but didn't make it in the time available. Whilst most of my landings were OK that wasn't good enough for me to go solo - clearly this requires that one can consistently guarantee that every single landing is definitely going to be safe. I'll maybe have another go next summer.
Old 6th Nov 2003, 08:18

Having got the rating, is it possible to rent a 4 seater in the area? Mr Brown's website doesn't seem to talk about hiring even the J3's

Steve R
Old 6th Nov 2003, 15:25

http://www.pilotshack.com/Seaplanes.html
Old 6th Nov 2003, 16:58

Why do it if it's not fun?

Well done!!!

Your website will definitely be required reading for me later on today, since I'm heading out to Florida in a couple of days' time, and the seaplane rating is number 1 on my list of things to do in my spare time while I'm there.

FFF
--------------
Old 6th Nov 2003, 22:27

Steve R - I don't believe that Brown's actually rent the seaplanes for flight without an instructor - even if you are rated. Certainly the J3s aren't allowed out on their own. The other types of aircraft they have there didn't seem to be in use when I was there, but it is probably worth giving them a ring.