Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Joining Qatar Airways as a F/O.

Wikiposts
Search
Middle East Many expats still flying in Knoteetingham. Regional issues can be discussed here.

Joining Qatar Airways as a F/O.

Search this Thread

Old 31st Aug 2003, 16:33
EK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Joining Qatar Airways as a F/O.

I wonder if anyone could help me on this matter.
Im interested in joining Qatar Airways as a F/O, I have over 1000 hours total time, including 600 hours experience on a heavy turboprop. Unfortunately I don't have an Airbus type rating, or the jet time associated with it. However I completed my flight training at BAE Systems- Adelaide (the same college used by Emirates).

I sent a letter/ CV and copies of the relevant documents (licence, medical, logbook etc) to the Director of Flight Ops at Qatar Airways about 3 weeks ago. Up to press Ive had no response. I explained that I understood that I didn't have an Airbus type rating, however I stressed that I would either sign a training bond or even pay for my own type rating (subject to an offer of employment).

I understand that Qatar Airways are expanding at a phenomenal rate, with new destinations coming on line and extra aircraft arriving each month.

Could anyone offer me some advice on the best advice, as to how I go about joining this airline? Ive tried e-mailing/ writing to them, but there is no reply. Who would be the best person to contact?

Thanks for any help offered.

Regards

EK
Old 31st Aug 2003, 21:15

I think a good idea would be for you to build some more time and reapply when you are qualifed for the job.

Helios
Old 31st Aug 2003, 23:14

HEAVY turboprop.......

Thats like the titanic of the skies or what....

Sorry, couldnt leave that one without being used.

Helios is right on.....no use applying without being qualified!
Old 1st Sep 2003, 00:28
Props are for boats!

Sounds like you have reasonable experience. Get another 400 hrs heavey Turbo Prop and you could apply to Dragon Air in Hong Kong.

QATARI you may not know but Heavy Turbo Prop applies to Aircraft above 5700kgs OR 12,500LBS that require 2 Crew. IE. ATR42, ATR72, DASH8,BAE41,EMB120 etcetc. Hes only regurgitating whats on the application form!!!!!!!!!!

I know in my part of the World A320 F/OS are flying with much les experience than you. AND IT SHOWS

You should try ringing them. I dont have the contact but that usually gets some recognition.

Regards
Sheep
Old 1st Sep 2003, 06:43

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Dragonair min 3000hrs with no exceptions as the conversion to a HK ATPL requires 2800hrs.
Old 2nd Sep 2003, 00:56

Qatari515,

PM on the way!
Old 2nd Sep 2003, 01:48

EK:

Please don't ever offer to pay for your own training. That just serves to undermine an already diminishing profession. It cheapens you and your services and is unappreciated by those of us who would like fair compensation for the job.

Typhoonpilot
Old 2nd Sep 2003, 03:33

EK,

I agree with typhoonpilot, If you offer to pay for the job you will see some day you will regret it as it really brings the pilot profeesion down.

Your Time is low and I think that flying the Avro is great but these airlines in the middle east have so many Pilots with time on type of planes they fly that the compition is tough.

Good luck and you can give them a ring at Qatar but I don't think it will help much. Sorry, Just a honest answer.
Old 2nd Sep 2003, 17:30

Sheep guts,

comming from a guy that says that props are only for boats you sound damn serious...

Lighten up man, I was just joking.....
Old 3rd Sep 2003, 06:55
Props are for boats!

Qatari, sorry man just need a dam break going to toss this madness in one day soon.

Dan Winterland ok my apologies. Im glad you know the requirements, Ive never been able to findout really what they are. So really our friend here needs another 1400 hrs to make contention. I also heard they only accept 1000hrs pic Multi Crew Turbine above 12,500lbs OR 5700kgs.

Hajj Man and Typhoonpilot. I hate to say it but your old school thinking about paying for type ratings, is somewhat outdated and unrealistic. Especially in Modern lowcost CARRIER type world we live in. South West last month flew more pax than Delta. Totaly unheard of, but true. The days of the 50 HR a month Captain on 3 figures a year is soon to topple. Its a fact we all have to realise.

Yes I am too serious Qatari.

Regards
Sheep
Old 3rd Sep 2003, 14:12

Received 92 Likes on 41 Posts
Sheep Guts

The industry is picking up a little. Some Gulf carriers suffering pilot attrition in the midst of expansion.

I am leaning to an improvement in many pilot packages-you know the one that was supposed to occur pre-Sept 11.

Don't so willingly submit to your repressed pilot sentiments. It may not be necessary for a real professional.
Old 4th Sep 2003, 21:01

And what about a FO with 5000 flight hours, and 767 300 ER 2000 hours worldwide...???
I sent the application like EK, and like EK no answer.
Cheers
Henry
Old 5th Sep 2003, 03:40

Henry VIII,

You could have a million hours on the 767, and DC-9, MD-80, 737, 707, 717, Fokker 100 and all types of airplanes you want to but if you don't have time on the A-320 or A 330 or A-340 you will not get called from Qatar. Sorry to tell you this but they interview for the type of airplane and if you don't have time on it then sorry.

Even the A-300 now they might phase it out so their hiring on that I was made to understand has slowed down a bit.

Qatar Airways will call guys one month for A-320 and then the next month A-330/340.

They probably have many applications with time on type?

Hajj Man
Old 5th Sep 2003, 18:20

Henry VIII,

I would say give it a try, you won't going to loose anything and officially you do meet their requirements. With the fleet doubling over the next 2 years they need as many guys as they can get.

Requirements for FO:
  • Total minimum hours 1000 (airline time) 500 hours on type.
  • Valid ICAO ATPL or frozen ATPL.
  • Pilots without a type rating must have a minimum of 2000 hours (airline time) with 1000 hours jet time. Such pilots will be given training on the A300 or A320 and be required to sign a service bond with the Company.
Old 7th Sep 2003, 15:49
EK

Question

Ok so I understand that Qatar won't consider my application unless I've got the hours, which I'm a bit short of at the moment.

Anyone got any suggestions for airlines in the Gulf region that would consider my application, what about Oman Air? I'd heard rumours they were expanding looking at getting either a B767 or A330 for flights to Europe and the Far East, would they consider someone with my level of experience.

Sheepguts: You couldn't let me know who you fly for, I'd like to send them a CV, are they recruiting at the moment? If you like pvt message me.

Cheers

EK
Old 8th Sep 2003, 03:20

Paying for rating

I suggest u use d $ (u want to spend on your Airbus rating) for a computer wiz course and fly for fun wit d money from the IT salary, like my best friend's 23 year old son, who graduated from Itaka (USA), got a job wit $75000 and within 2 years has an IR...
Old 8th Sep 2003, 10:30

HF & Hajj Man

Thanks friends... I know the minimum requirements as from their web site.
But they declare also :
"Pilots without a type rating must have a minimum of 2000 hours (airline time) with 1000 hours jet time. Such pilots will be given training on the A300 or A320 and be required to sign a service bond with the Company."
So I expected to be consider, or at least to receive any sort of answer.
If they absolutely don't want engage pilot without an Airbus rating they could declare it in clear way.

See you

Henry
Old 8th Sep 2003, 12:16

Grrr

EK's offer to pay for his own rating and training is another sorry demonstration of where our profession has been and, more importantly, of where it's going!
Over the past 15 to 20 years, we have seen our work conditions eroding to the point where if this trend continues, we will have to accept any work condition for the "privilege" of flying an airliner. Retirement, please!!!
Old 4th Oct 2003, 11:29

Cool Don't dare to pay for training!

Hey Qatari 515! you are something else man.. never serious hope you never need an advice! you are always making fun of all the new recruits like if you were borned with the heavy time! 'by the way turbo props are fun!

As for you mate keep on trying if Qatari got on board I don'y see why you can't!
happy landings