Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Misc. Forums > Aviation History and Nostalgia
Reload this Page >

Wing Commander R.H.M. 'Bobby' Gibbes, DSO, DFC & Bar

Wikiposts
Search
Aviation History and Nostalgia Whether working in aviation, retired, wannabee or just plain fascinated this forum welcomes all with a love of flight.

Search this Thread

Old 3rd Jul 2003, 09:43

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Bobby Gibbes turned 86 a few weeks ago and is hale and hearty in Sydney.

His autobiography "You Live But Once" is available from Bobby for around Aus$60. It's a great read - details Bobby's war years in the RAAF (with 13 confirmed kills) and later years in Papua New Guinea when he established Gibbes Sepik Airlines (Austers, Norseman and JU52's).

He served in 450 Sqn. and 3 Sqn., RAAF, one of the best known RAAF pilots in the Western Desert, becoming 3 Sqn's. commanding officer and scoring its 200th 'kill'. He accumulated twelve combat victories. He subsequently served in 80 Wing, achieving the rank of Wing Commander.
After the Second World War his interest in aviation remained, and he founded Gibbes Sepik Airways, operating in New Guinea, using various WW.2 aircraft types. Bobby, now living in Collaroy, N.S.W., has in recent years built a single seat, single cylinder, two cycle twin engine homebuilt aircraft, a Columban MC-12 'Cricket'.

The following passage is just one of many exciting extracts from the marvellous stories about 3 Squadron's people and their adventures contained in "YOU LIVE BUT ONCE", the classic autobiography of Wing Commander R.H. (Bobby) Gibbes, DSO, DFC and Bar.

This incident happened on 21 December 1942, 150 miles south of Cirte, while Bobby Gibbes was leading six Kittyhawks on a reconnaissance over Hun, an Italian aerodrome.

Sergeant "Stuka" Bee's aircraft was set on fire by the aerodrome defence gunfire and at the same time, Pilot Officer Rex Bayley called up to say that his motor had been hit and that he was carrying out a forced landing. As Sergeant Bee had a lot of speed from his dive and was flaming badly, I advised him to climb up and bail out instead of trying to belly land his aircraft at high speed. He mightn't have heard me, or perhaps was badly wounded or even dead, as his speed had not decreased when he hit the ground. His aircraft rolled up into a ball, an inferno of flames. He didn't have a chance.

I circled and watched the Italians, showing great courage, send out an ambulance in an attempt to save him, but the outcome was obvious. It was later confirmed that he had been killed.

In the meantime, Rex Bayley crash landed his aircraft nearly a mile from the aerodrome, and on coming to a stop, called up on his radio to say that he was O.K. His aircraft did not burn. I asked him what the area was like for a landing to pick him up, and ordered the other three aircraft to keep me covered and to stop any ground forces coming out after him. He told me that the area was impossible, and asked me to leave him, but I flew down to look for myself. I found a suitable area about 3 miles further out and advised Bailey that I was landing, and to get weaving out to me.

I was nervous about this landing, in case shrapnel might have damaged my tyres, as on my first run through the aerodrome, my initial burst set an aircraft on fire. I had then flown across the aerodrome and fired from low level and at close range at a Savola 79. It must have been loaded with ammunition as it blew up, hurling debris 500 feet into the air. I was too close to it to do anything about avoiding the blast and flew straight through the centre of the explosion at nought feet. On passing through, my aircraft dropped its nose, despite pulling my stick back, and for a terrifying moment, I thought that my tail plane had been blown off. On clearing the concussion area, I regained control, missing the ground by a matter of only a few feet. Quite a number of small holes had been punched right through my wings from below, but my aircraft appeared to be quite serviceable.

I touched down rather carefully in order to check that my tyres had not been punctured, and then taxied by a devious route for about a mile or more until I was stopped from getting closer to Bailey by a deep wadi. Realizing that I would have a long wait, and being in a state of sheer funk, I proceeded to take off my belly tank to lighten the aircraft. The weight of the partially full tank created great difficulty, and I needed all my strength in pulling it from below the aircraft and dragging it clear. I was not sure that I would be able to find my way back to the area where I had landed, so I stepped out the maximum run into wind from my present position. In all, I had just 300 yards before the ground dipped away into a wadi. I tied my handkerchief onto a small camel's thorn bush to mark the point of aim, and the limit of my available take off-run, and then returned to my aircraft, CV-V, and waited.

My aircraft continued to circle overhead, carrying out an occasional dive towards the town in order to discourage any attempt to pick us up. After what seemed like an age, sitting within gun range of Hun, Bayley at last appeared, puffing, and sweating profusely. He still managed a smile and a greeting.

I tossed away my parachute and Bayley climbed into the cockpit. I climbed in after him and using him as my seat, I proceeded to start my motor. It was with great relief that we heard the engine fire, and opening my throttle beyond all normal limits, I stood on the brakes until I had obtained full power, and then released them, and, as we surged forward, I extended a little flap. My handkerchief rushed up at an alarming rate, and we had not reached flying speed as we passed over it and down the slope of the wadi. Hauling the stick back a small fraction, I managed to ease the aircraft into the air, but we hit the other side of the wadi with a terrific thud. We were flung back into the air, still not really flying, and to my horror, I saw my port wheel rolling back below the trailing edge of the wing, in the dust stream. The next ridge loomed up and it looked as if it was to be curtains for us, as I could never clear it. I deliberately dropped my starboard wing to take the bounce on my remaining wheel, and eased the stick back just enough to avoid flicking. To my great relief we cleared the ridge and were flying.

Retracting my undercart and the small amount of take off flap, we climbed up. I was shaking like a leaf and tried to talk to Bayley but noise would not permit. The remaining three aircraft formed up alongside me and we hared for home, praying the while that we would not be intercepted by enemy fighters, who should by now, have been alerted. Luck remained with us, and we didn't see any enemy aircraft.

On nearing Marble Arch, I asked Squadron Leader Watt to fly beneath my aircraft to confirm that I had really lost a wheel and had not imagined it. He confirmed that my wheel had gone, but that the starboard wheel and undercart appeared to be intact. I then had to make up my mind as to whether to carry out a belly landing, thus damaging my aircraft further, or to try to attempt a one wheel landing, which I thought I could do. We were at the time very short of aircraft and every machine counted.

The latter, of course, could be dangerous, so before making a final decision, I wrote a message on my map asking Bayley if he minded if I carried out a one wheel landing. He read my message and nodded his agreement.

Calling up our ground control, I asked them to have an ambulance standing by, and told them that I intended coming in cross wind with my port wing up wind. Control queried my decision but accepted it.

I made a landing on my starboard wheel, keeping my wing up with aileron and, as I lost speed, I turned the aircraft slowly to the left throwing the weight out. When I neared a complete wing stall, I kicked on hard port rudder and the aircraft turned further to port. Luck was with me and the aircraft remained balanced until it lost almost all speed. The port oleo leg suddenly touched the ground, and the machine completed a ground loop. The port flap was slightly damaged as was the wingtip. The propeller and the rest of the aircraft sustained no further damage. The port undercart was changed, the flap repaired, the holes patched up and the aircraft was flying again on the 27th of the month, only six days after Hun.

Every enemy aircraft on Hun was either destroyed or damaged. Six aircraft and one glider were burnt, and five other aircraft were badly damaged. The bag included two JU52s, two Savola 795, one JU88, one Messerschmitt 110, one CR42, one ME126 and two gliders. I was later to be awarded the DSO and this operation was mentioned as having a bearing on the award.

Anyone wants a copy, email me [email protected] and I'll put you in touch with Bobby's family.
Old 26th Jan 2004, 14:51

Cool

In July last year I posted the above in the hope of getting testimonials for Bobby Gibbes. I can now advise it was in an attempt to get Bobby another "Gong"!

In the Australia Day Honours List 2004 Wing Commander Robert Henry GIBBES, DSO DFC* (Retired), Collaroy, NSW, was awarded the Medal of the Order of Australia (OAM) in the General Division for service to aviation and to tourism, particularly in Papua New Guinea.

A number of PPRuNers assisted in providing information, particularly Sharpie.

Bobby's daughter sent me this message:

"As you can see my dream came true!! If it is the last thing I can do for my Father I think I have done it. I cannot begin to tell you how much I love him and how proud that he is MY Dad. I am still in Sydney and hope like hell he will be well enough to enjoy HIS special day. I love you guys to death and miss you like crazy."

Can you please pass on my good news to the rest of your family and friends. Much love and Big hugs to you all, Jules."

To all those who assisted in getting Bobby the Gong he rightfully deserved, my sincere thanks!
Old 26th Jan 2004, 21:04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torres.

Great news indeed. I have mailed Bobby & Julie.
I am still trying to track down a copy of Bobbys book !

Clint.
Old 5th Feb 2004, 03:56

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Bobby Gibbes was instrumental in getting the first Bf109G to be captured during WWII back into the air for evaluation against the current allied fighters. This was, of course, "Black 6" that was restored magnificently back to flying condition by Russ Snadden and his team and operated by the IWM at Duxford from 1991 to 1997. Sadly, it now resides in the RAF Mueum at Hendon.

Let us not forget the invaluable contribution that Bobby made to this item of our aviation heritage.
Old 5th Feb 2004, 05:42
JDK

"Sadly, it now resides in the RAF Mueum at Hendon"

Yeah, when it should be flying from Point Cook. Don't think Bobby was to chuffed when the Poms whipped it off him.
Old 6th Feb 2004, 03:51

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
JDK,

I sympathise, understand and cannot fault your logic. But I am, selfishly, glad that we did so that I had the opportunity to experience the aeroplane as well as Bobby!

Rgds

L
Old 20th May 2004, 03:09

I've brought this thread back to life because...........

Today my old mate, Bobby Gibbes is being invested with the Order of Australia - Australia's highest Award - at Government House in Sydney. The Award is for services to aviation and tourism.

Bobby & Jeannie ...... sad I couldn't make it but congratulations old mate - you deserve that bloody gong!!! Hope it makes up in some small way for the VC you were recommended to receive - but didn't get - 60 years ago!!

You're a bloody legend - and I have no doubt, you and that bunch of ex RAAF reprobate mates will demolish more than your fair share of quality whiskey this evening!!

Bob Fulton
Old 5th Jun 2004, 07:33

I thought this was a nice gesture - from the Legislative Assemblu, Parliament of New South Wales:

Legislative Assembly, Parliament of New South Wales.

June 3, 2004.

Private Members Statement Andrew Humpherson MP, Shadow Minister for Justice, Shadow Minister for Emergency Services

http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/pro...frames/hansard

TRIBUTE TO MR BOBBY GIBBES
Hansard Page: 47

Mr ANDREW HUMPHERSON (Davidson) [4.18 p.m.]: I acknowledge the presence in the gallery of a number of members of the 77th Squadron Association at the invitation of the honourable member for Southern Highlands. I also acknowledge that my father is present as a member of the association. I take this opportunity to speak about a significant contributor, pilot Bobby Gibbes, who is also in the gallery with his wife, Jean, and daughter, Julie. Last week, Bobby, who was a Second World War fighter ace, was awarded the Order of Australia, which was much deserved. Bobby was born in 1916 and joined the Royal Australian Air Force in February 1940 as an air cadet and completed his training in August that year. In early 1941 he sailed for the Middle East and was posted to No. 3 Squadron after reaching Egypt; he was to remain with this unit throughout his two-year combat tour in North Africa.

His squadron moved to Syria by July 1941 and began flying P-40B Tomahawks against the Vichy French. Within a week Gibbes shot down a French-built Dewoitine 520 fighter, to achieve his first victory in aerial combat. When the Syrian campaign ended in September, he returned to the Western Desert to take part in the Libyan campaign, where he achieved three additional victories before the year's end. After converting to P-40C Kittyhawks, Gibbes became commander of No. 3 Squadron in February 1942 and soon shot down two more aircraft. In May he had to bail out after being shot down by a Ju-88 rear gunner, when he broke his ankle and fractured his leg upon hitting the ground. With his leg still in a cast, he discharged himself from hospital and returned to command the squadron one month later.

On 21 December 1942 Squadron Leader Gibbes performed an extraordinary deed of heroism when he landed his aircraft in rough terrain deep within enemy territory to pick up a downed pilot. Discarding his parachute to make room in the single-seat cockpit, he lost a wheel on take-off, flew the 190 miles to his home base, and successfully landed. Less than one month later, Gibbes was shot down some 70 miles behind the lines and evaded capture for three days while walking through the desert to reach Allied patrols. Before his African tour ended in April 1943, he flew 274 operational sorties throughout the Middle East, achieved 12 confirmed and several probable victories, and was awarded the Distinguished Service Order. Squadron Leader Gibbes eventually returned to Australia and flew Spitfire Mk. VIIIs in the Southwest Pacific until the end of the war. After flying for various private concerns after the war, he established Gibbes Sepik Airways in January 1948, and began operations out of New Guinea with surplus war aircraft. For the next 10 years his airline played an important role in the exploration and development of the Sepik River and the central highlands of that area.

Bobby Gibbes' family has a long history in Australian politics and war-time events. In 1842 the Gibbes family moved to Kirribilli Point to reside in "Wotonga", the house constructed by Colonel Gibbes on the site where Admiralty House now stands. Later Colonel Gibbes lived at "Yarralumla", the property of his son Augustus. "Yarralumla" was later converted and adapted to be used as the principal residence of the Governor-General of Australia, a high duty it still performs. Bobby's friends, relatives and other people last week celebrated the awarding of his Order of Australia. But of all the remarkable achievements Bobby Gibbes has racked up in his illustrious career, his marriage to Jean, his commanding officer and managing director, is probably the greatest. On 23 January next year Bobby and Jean notch up 60 years of marriage, and I congratulate them. I also congratulate Bobby on his contribution as a significant aviator in Australian history. I know that he will be joining the members of 77 Squadron who are in the public gallery, a number of whom are his close friends, for a celebration shortly after this private member's statement. I thank all of them, as well as members of the 77 Squadron Association, for their contribution to our country.

ROYAL AUSTRALIAN AIR FORCE 77 SQUADRON

Ms PETA SEATON (Southern Highlands) [4.23 p.m.]: "For we are young and free" are the most important words in our national anthem. Today I am honoured to speak of a group of great Australian airmen who proudly, but modestly, earned the deserved reputation of the Royal Australian Air Force 77 squadron for fearless defence of the values we hold dear, and for doing more than their fair share to secure the freedoms we take for granted. Not that one would ever hear about it from them—for that we must rely on some rare histories that reveal the true brilliance and courage of the men who made 77 Squadron the legend that is symbolised in the Squadron tie I am proud to wear today. The legend began in Western Australia in 1942 when Australia faced direct threat in Darwin from Japanese fighters fresh from Pearl Harbour. The newly formed squadron led by Wing Commander Dick Cresswell took to the air in American Kittyhawk fighters, shooting down the first Japanese "Betty Bomber", and then on to Milne Bay, where, with 75 and 76 Squadron, they helped allied forces turn the invading Japanese forces around—and with it, the course of history.

Dick Cresswell is in the gallery today, as is his successor and Wing Leader of 81 Fighter Wing, Wing Commander "Buster" Brown and many of their colleagues, who have all shaped the indomitable character of 77 Squadron, whose mantle is carried by Wing Commander Gavin Turnbull, also in the gallery today, who headed up Squadron anti-terrorist activities in Afghanistan using FA/18 Hornets. From the British Occupation Force in Japan, 77 Squadron was then called to action in Korea, the first Australian military unit to see action, based at Iwakuni in Japan, then at various airfields in South Korea, finally at Kimpo. Mustangs gave way to Meteor jets in July 1951, giving 77 Squadron a faster edge in fighter combat through 18,872 operational sorties.

This is the 77 Squadron I grew up with. Although it is still almost impossible to get much out of them, except at the end of an Anzac Day, the friendships that survive lifetimes tell me more about what happened in the skies above Pusan, Seoul and the 38th Parallel than I will ever read about in a military history. Photographs show lean, confident young Australians making the best of tough conditions but quietly determined to free South Korea from the deadly shackles of communism. One photograph shows two mates shaking hands—one who has just been released from a prisoner of war camp, having been shot down three months before. Today there is a raw gap in the 77 Squadron formation where he would have been. Don Pinkstone passed away last week, and today we honour his memory and achievements. The other pilot in the photograph is my father, Don\'s best mate. Forty-three Squadron members lost their lives in Korea, and seven were taken prisoner.

77 Squadron served with Avon Sabres in the Malayan emergency and Indonesia. It then re-equipped with the Mach 2 Mirage, and it now operates 10 FA/18 Hornets. The squadron has the unique distinction of having never been disbanded, and remains in active operation—today as important as ever, as we face new and serious threats. The 77 Squadron motto, "Swift to destroy", is embodied by the oriental lion on the squadron colours. Less reverentially called the "grumpy monkey", it symbolises "a defender of peace, which, when disturbed, is swift to destroy". I acknowledge Squadron Association President Jim Treadwell for his custodianship of the legend that was rescued by the great efforts of Alwyn Quoy, OAM, and Harry Delaney, who refused to take no for an answer at an Anzac Day march in 1953 and started the association. The association\'s patron, Sir Neville McNamara, is a former Southern Highlands resident, one of several 77 Squadron members and families in my electorate.

To our two very special guests today—Wing Commander Dick Cresswell, DFC, American DFC and Air Medal, and Wing Commander Bruce "Buster" Brown, DFC & Bar, OAM—we thank and honour you for your leadership in preserving Australia\'s freedom and for inspiring the 77 Squadron legend. It is our responsibility as members of this House to value the freedom you and all Australian service men and women have given us through your commitment, and we pledge to play our part in keeping Australia "young and free", as you did for us.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Dickie Cresswell flew the last DH84 Dragon, VH-AON, out of Papua New Guinea in August 1958 from memory. VH-AON is on display at Wangaratta Air World (I think that\'s what it\'s called - previously Joe Dragge\'s air museum).
Old 16th Jun 2004, 11:21

Gday
VH-AON Puff the Magic Dragon is down at Nelson being lovingly restored by the McBains to it’s former glory.
Cheers Q