Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Rumours & News
Reload this Page >

BA777 stuck "IN" runway at Antigua

Wikiposts
Search
Rumours & News Reporting Points that may affect our jobs or lives as professional pilots. Also, items that may be of interest to professional pilots.

Search this Thread

Old 30th May 2002, 07:25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BREAKING NEWS
News just in (from the BBC) that BA777 stuck in the runway at Antigua. Recent runway pavement works have been carried out and it appears aircraft too heavy and literally sank !!

Allegedly Crew applied full power and aircraft just got deeper and deeper into the surface
Old 30th May 2002, 07:55

Story being carried by Reuters......

LONDON, May 30 (Reuters) - Passengers travelling from Britain to the Caribbean found themselves stranded on Thursday on the tiny island of Antigua after their plane became stuck in the runway's tarmac.
"It basically became lodged in the tarmac while turning on the runway," a British Airways spokeswoman told Reuters, adding that resurfacing work had been carried out at the airport overnight.
The 140 passengers, who were en route to another Caribbean island, St Lucia, were being put up in a hotel while engineers inspected the damage.
It was unclear when the Boeing 777 would be freed.

Thursday, 30 May 2002 07:50:55
Old 30th May 2002, 08:58
The Controlller

Talking

The 777 at ANU has been pulled form the soft runway and back on stand at ANU and is fully serviceable and will be departing at 1905z. VS night stopped as well but have not heard about them.

Old 31st May 2002, 08:02

ex-Tanker

Angry

Nice pavement strength research by BA! "So the take off won't be a problem?" " Nah, it worked last month..."
Old 31st May 2002, 08:18

Received 92 Likes on 36 Posts
A little harsh don't you think?

Few Cloudy

It's fine to snipe at BA but the facts don't bear out your post. BA has been flying to VC Bird since the airport first opened. We have operated 777's and 747-200's/400's for many years ,all without problems.

The construction of the new parallel taxyway has, in Carribean terms, been completed relatively quickly and, one would have though, to the relevant standard. That one of the first aircraft to use it was a BA aircraft is nothing other than co-incidence. If VS had beaten us to it what would your post have said?
Old 31st May 2002, 10:09

Few Cloudy,

Not enjoying life in the Charrrrterrrrr world then ?

S H A M E
Old 31st May 2002, 10:15

Report from the local paper...

http://antiguasun.caribbeanads.com/f...fm?NewsID=6148

- P.
Old 31st May 2002, 11:35

Didn't a similar thing happen to a bouquet and spayed 757 a couple of years ago in Turkey ?? Bodrum, if I recollect correctly....?

Old 31st May 2002, 16:10

Few Cloudy

Nice post

Bit like a joke - but without the funny bit at the end!
Old 31st May 2002, 16:48

I agree with ETOPS, the fact that the first flight to use the new surface was BA. Purely coincidence - could have been any carrier that suffered this indignity.

Why does there seem to be a perverse pleasure in negative postings that take a "poke" at BA. The green eyed monster maybe.
Old 31st May 2002, 18:59

Arrow

ETOPS,
Just to clarify, the 777 did not get stuck on the new taxiway, but on the actual runway, while doing a '180' in the turn bay at the button of Rwy07. The parallel taxiway was indeed (mostly) completed at a relatively quick pace - for the Caribbean. However, it seems someone forgot to check the clearance between the adjacent public road (on land beside and about 10' higher) and the new taxiway! It does not meet the minimum clearance req's for widebody a/c, and so has been abandoned until further notice. All that after a year's work and quite a few million dollars! For some reason though, they have not just completed the taxiway (needs to be joined to the runway surface only) and restricted it to turboprop (or smaller) use only, as that is the majority of the traffic at VC Bird.
The Caribbean has beautiful wx, but god can it drive you nuts!
Old 1st Jun 2002, 22:52
WOK

T'aint the first time - in the good old days of the -236 the runway was closed after the surface of the turning pan was stripped off and blown away during the (VERY tight) turn at the threshold.

Not the nicest runway to operate a 747 from/to, but fine once you got to the hotel....
Old 2nd Jun 2002, 06:41

ex-Tanker

Nothing to revise then - the runway (not the taxyway) was below strength for the type and the operator hadn't known. The buck stops there.

Sure you can get away with a traverse provided you are going fast enough at temporary overload but you can't go fast on a 180.
To go for Take Off on a suspect pavement still seems cavalier to me, unless some quick measurements had been taken.

And as to the personal responses:

ETOPS, Operator makes no difference to me - the comments would have been the same.

MINESAGROLSCH - Charter world? Don't get your drift.

TANDEMROTOR - joke at the end? - the joke was at the beginning - "Breaking News".
Old 2nd Jun 2002, 06:57

Few Cloudy- according to the reports I have seen, airport repairs were carried out and the repairer omitted to report the state of the repairs not being completely ready for use to the tower. Kinda makes your sad attempt to take a swipe at BA look a bit anaemic. Perhaps you should examine why you phrased like that and maybe have a think why you appeared unable to 'understand' some of the comments made in reference to you!
Old 3rd Jun 2002, 06:50

ex-Tanker

Ah! Not So Fantastic, the PPRuNe amateur policeman appears on the scene. NSF, maybe you should read again.

1. It wasn't a swipe at BA. See my last post.

2. "According to reports you have seen" - where exactly were these repairs? So far only the taxyway has been mentioned.

3. "Unable to understand replies" - I think I understood and replied to two of them - the one about charter ops doesn't apply or seem to make sense.

So let's go down to the station for a few words...
Old 3rd Jun 2002, 10:35
WOK

Quoted PCN at TAPA is more than adequate for unrestricted 747 and 777 ops. It is hardly ther operator's fault if any repairs to said runway are below spec.
Old 3rd Jun 2002, 12:08

Few Cloudy, it doesn't change the fact you jumped in, without knowing the full details, to take a cheap swipe at BA. You then received several critical replies to your thought line. You can come out defending yourself all you like, and go to whatever 'station' you think appropriate, but it doesn't escape from the fact you demeaned yourself by attempting to demean BA in such a cheap way. BA may be criticised for a lot, but operationally, it is spot on and up there with the best.

As for the 'amateur policeman' jibe, probably like you, I am a professional pilot who travels widely. I very often log on on expensive and slow downroute connections. I come to RP to catch up with the latest news. Does it not annoy you when people post questions where they should not go, or raise matters in the wrong place. This, like R & N, is the place for hard news and gossip, not for people who want to instigate discussion or ask questions that belong elsewhere, so I make no apology- I shall keep back biting people who should know better.
Old 3rd Jun 2002, 17:08

That'll tech 'em to let gyppos work on their runways ...
Old 4th Jun 2002, 07:00

ex-Tanker

So what consequences have BA drawn as a result of this incident (apart from searching their vocabularies for words like "sad"and "cheap")?
Old 4th Jun 2002, 09:42
Just another number

Question

Few Cloudy

I'm not sure that I understand your post. The consequences are well known, many delayed passengers and several damaged tyres.
If, however, you mean conclusions, then that becomes more difficult for us as pilots. At Antigua it is necessary to backtrack the runway, and make a 180 at the end. It is a very tight turn into a turning pan, the final part of the turn being uphill. This turning pan had been resurfaced overnight and had been declared fully usable by the airport authorities.
I am not an expert on concrete, so do not know what methods are used to test the bearing strength of newly laid concrete, but we, as pilots, certainly do not have this equipement to hand.
We are all here to learn from other peoples experiences and expertise, so perhaps you could tell us what you would have done to avoid this incident.

Airclues

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.