Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Rumours & News
Reload this Page >

Approach sequencing at LGW

Wikiposts
Search
Rumours & News Reporting Points that may affect our jobs or lives as professional pilots. Also, items that may be of interest to professional pilots.

Approach sequencing at LGW

Search this Thread

Old 6th Jun 2001, 23:20
BOAC

To endorse 410's post - the home runs have certainly been a lot slicker of late. Almost getting too fast for an old geezer!

Thanks to all 'down there' for the effort.

Old 8th Jun 2001, 05:50
Wheelybin

And then you wonder why we cant satisfy all the people all the time!!!!!

Old 8th Jun 2001, 12:02
BOAC

Woz only joking, Wheely. Another 'corker' yesterday PM ex ARN. Excellent info and minimal speed reductions.
Mike

Old 8th Jun 2001, 14:16
beaver eager

vertigo,

At CityFlyer, for ease of operation, our SOPs give a "conservative" fixed speed shedule for the RJ100 which is always 190kts min clean even at very low weights.

The only time it ever goes above 190kts is in the event of a rapid return over max landing weight, when it may increase by up to about 5kts. In this situation the last thing any crew is likely to be worrying about is saving every last drop of fuel, so I don't think you would ever hear a response of "Can we make it 194kts, please?" Taking up the time to even think about it in an unusual situation would probably not be appropriate, so you can expect the crew to just accept what speed they were given and select the correct flap setting accordingly.

To summarise then... 190kts ALWAYS works for RJ100s.

BTW, when we're high and looking for extra drag 210kts is much better than 220kts (220kts is the max speed with flap extended). It only makes a difference when we are noticably high though, and anyway, nothing's a problem for the RJ100, our 'Buccaneer style' airbrake works a treat! Whoever nicked that concept off of the Blackburn drawing board knew what they were doing.

Old 8th Jun 2001, 19:56
vertigo

Thanks eager beaver, these tips are invaluable-and you know it will help in the service provision to your 'type'.

Why can't we have a forum purely for the exchanges of info. like this thread ?

Old 11th Jun 2001, 16:46
BOAC

If I can attempt to summarise, then?

It seems to me that track miles/speed reductions have been 'fine-tuned' a bit following this thread. Thanks to the ATC teams.

Regarding Min speeds, we need input from the 'heavies' here, but how about targets of
1) 230kts
2) Then 190kts
and finally
3) 170 to *5* which would allow us in BA (and possibly others) to be certain of achieving our approach 'criteria' as mentioned earlier.

Lets have some more input from the pilots please. Would these speeds suit just about all?

Old 12th Jun 2001, 13:57
beaver eager

They work for me BOAC!