Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

Hercules inquest.

Wikiposts
Search
Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

Hercules inquest.

Search this Thread

Old 1st Apr 2008, 16:31

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hercules inquest.

<US Air Force Hercules have had ESF since the 1960s. Following the crash, the MoD pledged to fit all RAF Hercules with ESF, and a spokesman said that between 20 and 30 planes now have the foam.>

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...re/7324341.stm

I hope a few people have the decency to choke on their port at the 90th bash tonight.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthr...215665&page=70
Old 1st Apr 2008, 18:02

Going to be heard "in camera", a disgrace but unsurprising.
Old 1st Apr 2008, 21:33

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I see the BBC star again ... another picture of a "J" against this report.

You would have thought they would have the decency to TRY and be accurate. Just makes you wonder what else they don't check before publishing.

Between the Beeb and the Government I have very little faith that the truth about this tragic incident will actually come out.

Sorry ... my cynicism is showing.
Old 1st Apr 2008, 23:38

Omega V6,

Your cynicism is healthy, but not your naivity. When was the last time that the truth about an accident/incident was published? The embarassment of senior officers is more important than the rantings of a master. God Bless, Gary Nicholson, you are not forgotten!
Old 2nd Apr 2008, 03:51

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Enemy

RIP again to those who lost their lives; I still think of their bereaved families and friends.

I may have missed an important part of the news but I thought that it was the enemy that shot the C130 down, not the Air Force Board. Perhaps you might better focus your ire on the murderers of those fine men.
Old 2nd Apr 2008, 06:35

Between the Beeb and the Government I have very little faith that the truth about this tragic incident will actually come out
I have more faith in the BEEB having a crack at publishing the truth than our masters allowing it. They may not know which type is which but frankly their audience just sees a Hercules.
Old 2nd Apr 2008, 11:07

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
I see the BBC star again ... another picture of a "J" against this report.
I agree they should do better, Omega. However.....

I have been at the inquest for its first two days, and I will be going again. I can tell you that the Beeb has an intelligent and sharp team there who do know what they're talking about. I believe the wrong pic is probably down to someone in their website team who doesn't know better - but you shouldn't tar the whole BBC coverage with that error.
Going to be heard "in camera", a disgrace but unsurprising.
Only parts of the inquest are in camera, effortless. These are bits that deal with the op circumstances surrounding this flight. It sounds reasonable to me to keep those things secret. Having seen HM Coroner, Mr Masters at work, I am happy that he is no government patsy. Sometimes he can be quite cuddly, but he stings like a viper when necessary, and he's not bothered who he upsets when it's necessary. He is, in fact a good example of the excellent and ancient English institution of Coroner - which institution seems to me to be one of the few bodies that is actually protecting us, the public, against the escalating predations of big government.

I recommend the coverage of Thomas Harding, Def Corr of the Torygraph.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...2/wiraq102.xml

airsound
Old 2nd Apr 2008, 11:12

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
I thought that it was the enemy that shot the C130 down, not the Air Force Board. Perhaps you might better focus your ire on the murderers of those fine men.
Rheinstorff, the charge against the Air Force Board, and their predecessors, is not that they shot the C130 down, but that they effectively aided and abetted the enemy to do so by ensuring that for some 40 years the C130 fleet was not fit for purpose. Time and time again the need for the fitting of Explosion Suppressant Foam to the fuel tanks was made. Time and time again the call was ignored. What was standard protection for USAF Hercs over all those years was an unaffordable luxury for the RAF it would seem. Such deficiencies in basic airworthiness of its aircraft are not restricted to this fit or this fleet. That is a big enough issue to fix my ire on, thank you. I leave the issue of dealing with the 'murderers', and their ilk, to the brave young men and women of our Armed Forces, confident that they at least will not let us down.

Last edited by Chugalug2; 2nd Apr 2008 at 11:24.
Old 2nd Apr 2008, 11:51

What's the relevance to Joe Public between marks of C130? It's a Herk. Do Js have suppressant foam?
Old 2nd Apr 2008, 12:46

airsound

Thank you for correcting my false impression. I spent several months of my life at a BoI and I became very jaded. I am glad that our Coronial system is holding up. I understand that HMG is trying to arrange "special" Coroners for "special" cases. I am dubious.
Old 2nd Apr 2008, 13:11

Am I looking at a different BBC link?

On my one it shows a picture of a J...
Old 2nd Apr 2008, 14:27

A pleasure. effortless. I do share your apprehension about HMG's intentions in this respect, however - as in many other respects....

airsound
Old 2nd Apr 2008, 15:38

Chugalug2
Time and time again the need for the fitting of Explosion Suppressant Foam to the fuel tanks was made. Time and time again the call was ignored.
Playing Devil's Advocate:-

Chug - You make that statement as if there are reams of documentary evidence of requests for ESF. Are there?

I had not heard of ESF until after the loss of XV179.

We are often our own worst enemy, and all three of the issues being studied:-

1. ESF
2. Low Level in daylight
3. Intelligence failure

Would all seem to me to be failures at Herc Fleet/Sqn Exec level

Please don't think I'm standing up for the gov't, mind.
Old 2nd Apr 2008, 15:40

Totally irrelevant to the tragedy behind this inquest but the BBC pic is now of an MC130H Combat Talon II. (And it does have ESF)
Old 2nd Apr 2008, 17:30

SPHLC:-

First request for ESF post Op CORPORATE 1983
Second request for ESF post Op GRANBY 1992

Low level in daylight - to be discussed by the inquest

Intelligence - always been a problem in fluid situations

I, however, lay the blame on those individuals who elected not to fit ESF as a cost-saving measure:- the IPT, 2Gp, STC/AIR and MOD.
The sqn/fleet exec have always tried to manage risk, balanced against supporting UK ops, to the best of their ability and knowledge.

It would be nice to lay the legacy of XV179 to rest in the knowledge that we have an open, honest answer to the shortfalls in protecting our crews.
Old 2nd Apr 2008, 17:40

Trukkie, if you know of any evidence of ESF requests post Granby there is still time to contact the Inquest........
Old 2nd Apr 2008, 17:46

Thanks Truckkie

From the Inquest

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...re/7326714.stm

An RAF warrant officer, who was referred to as witness CD, said in a statement read to the court that in the years prior to the Iraq conflict many modifications had been made to RAF Hercules C130 craft.

"But ESF never featured," said CD, who has since died. "There were always far more important requirements," said his statement, by way of explanation.

I'm sure we're all on the same side, but unless there's documentary evidence, it's all hearsay.

(I see Nige has now commented)
Old 2nd Apr 2008, 17:53

You beat me to it, Truckkie.

However, I understand that evidence will be presented that several significantly earlier requests for ESF were made.

On the question of intelligence failure, that was said at the Inquest not to be at squadron or "herc fleet" level, but to be a systemic inter-service (and perhaps international) communication failure. The failure has allegedly been addressed.

airsound

Last edited by airsound; 2nd Apr 2008 at 17:54. Reason: speling of T's name
Old 2nd Apr 2008, 18:06

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Chug - You make that statement as if there are reams of documentary evidence of requests for ESF. Are there?
I had not heard of ESF until after the loss of XV179.
Well ditto, SPHLC, as I have said before on NigeGilb's Parliamentary Questions thread. If for no other reason, raising this issue once again on this forum might just alert and prompt someone who has such evidence to bring it forward even now. One is rather reminded of the 'Common Cold Research Programme' that regularly called for volunteers via SROs in the 60s/70s. All of us around then can recall that and the bonus leave that was offered as an inducement to volunteer. When the MOD denied such SROs were ever published such memories were deemed unreliable, but who saves SROs? As with my ignorance of ESF I had no idea then what the 'Research' done at Porton Down involved!
Old 2nd Apr 2008, 19:12

Whether or not the kit was asked for is a red herring. Everyone knew it existed, everyone knew its benefits. For god’s sake.. Hurricane tank busters had the equiv in North Africa (does the SH fleet by the way?).

And are we really saying that Townsend Thoresen was justified in not having bow door lamps fitted because nobody thought to 'ask for them', or that it was ok for coppers to allow hundreds of fans into a melee at Hillsborough because no one thought 'to ask'.. or that it was ok for Network Rail to allow chocolate fireguard signals points to be used at Potters Bar because no one thought 'to ask' that someone had been doing his job properly? The RAF higher echelon (as did most appropriate people I imagine) knew about the benefits of ESF and the fact that it wasn’t fitted makes the RAF look (at best) like a parsimonious Third World cake and arse party.

The default setting should have been to have had it, simple. End of story. If the staff default setting wasn’t “I’m all right Jack”, perhaps we might have staff officers being professional and using their brains, and remembering whose lives they exist to protect. 'Ask' my arse. What a lamentable excuse, in order to cover your back. If no one thought to ask, then they should be cashiered, taken out and shot (we're long overdue a good cashiering).

Another argument for removing Crown Immunity. And I agree 100% with Airsound. Andrew Walker might be a little too partisan at times, but the coroners are kicking this damned g'ment's arse and calling it to account.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.