Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Misc. Forums > Aviation History and Nostalgia
Reload this Page >

London Croydon Airport movements list 1939

Wikiposts
Search
Aviation History and Nostalgia Whether working in aviation, retired, wannabee or just plain fascinated this forum welcomes all with a love of flight.

Search this Thread

Old 16th Mar 2008, 20:09

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Somewhere in my book collection (much archived up in the attic) there is a page or two with a list of the movements at Croydon Airport on the last weekend of August 1939. I've looked in all the obvious books but it is not there. Does this ring a bell with anybody who can point me in the right direction. I am sure it is up there somewhere.Is it in one of the books on the airport published by Sutton Libraries ? (there were several such).

I seem to recall the list had been taken by an Air Cadet who spent time at the airport in those days. Thanks for any help.
Old 16th Mar 2008, 22:44
Cool Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sutton, Surrey library has a shelf on Croydon Airport which came in useful when I was researching Imperial Airways.

The movements you require are listed in general as British Airways, before it became BOAC. There is some good stuff there.
Old 17th Mar 2008, 19:43

Croydon Airport

I have at hand 4 books published by the London Borough of Sutton Library and Arts Services, they are.

The First, the Fastest and the Famous compiled by Douglas Cluett. " A cavalcade of Cropydon Airport, events and celebrities"

The Great Days, Croydon Airport 1928-1939 by Douglas Cluett, Joanna Nash and Bob Learmonth.

Croydon Airport and the Battle of Britain 1939-1940, by the same authers.

Croissants at Croydon, " the memoirs of Jack Bamford"

There is another which I cant find which details the final days.

Hope this helps Alan
Old 18th Mar 2008, 00:25

Yes, I have all those as well. I believe that Roy Smith, long-serving chief librarian at Sutton Library, was an aviation buff and once organised an airshow on the old Croydon site in more recent times with Tiger Moths etc. The books on the airport he got published are well done (would recommend "Croissants" to all here).
Old 18th Mar 2008, 07:46
Gnome de PPRuNe

Received 300 Likes on 168 Posts
Thjere were two airshows organised by Sutton Council and the Tiger Club; one was around 1980 with an Amy Johnson theme, the other which I attended was around 1987 or 88 I think. Still remember Ray Hanna bringing the Spitfire in low between a block of flats and a chimney stack which sat astride the B axis!

Just peering at the site from my eagle's nest office in Croydon thinking wouldn't it be nice to have another, but I suspect budgets, regulations and insurance requirements would not permit it these days...
Old 18th Mar 2008, 10:37

Location: Kings Caple, Ross-on-Wye.orPiccots End. Hertfordshire
Croydon Air Show

Treadigraph ... if you could organize something like that, I'd offer my heli display FOC just to be there. Also know a few other DAs who might do the same on fixed wing.

Dennis Kenyon.
Old 18th Mar 2008, 11:11

I'd be first there too if only to watch !!! Dennis, your displays at London City are one of the highlights of the Fun Days there. Even Mrs WHBM who doesn't know one end of an aircraft from the other likes watching from across the dock.

In the "real" days at Croydon such an event would be called either an "Aerial Pageant" or a "Garden Party".
Old 18th Mar 2008, 11:48
Cool Mod

The airport closed in September 1959 and most aeroplanes and clubs moved to Biggin Hill, Surrey and Kent for example. CFI I think was ? Chinn - forgotten his first name.

The first airshow was on 15th May 1980 - just checked my logbook. It so happens I was the first aircraft to land there since its closure. It was a good day I have to say, what with the nostalgia of the place and some fantastic aeroplanes. I lived close to the airport, still do, and watched the war when I was allowed out.
Old 18th Mar 2008, 13:17

Sounds like a CroyBash is brewing....
Old 18th Mar 2008, 13:31
Gnome de PPRuNe

Dennis, if it were within me gift (and capabilities!) I'd do it! Gosh, it's twenty years since the last show - I wonder if the surface is as reasonably smooth as it was then... Nearly fifty since it closed - perhaps Sutton could organise something to commemorate it next year?

Pop, came a cross a pic of your Islander the other day ('DWG wasn't it?) taking school kids on joy rides out of Biggin I think. I'll try and relocate it. Caption didn't say who was flying.

A CroyBash - I'd be up for it...
Old 18th Mar 2008, 20:02

Croydon Air Pageant

Now this is a 'rumour network' ... so here goes.

One of the guys who is in the air display business is the ex CAA inspector and long time display pilot .... John Davis. Then ex Reds leader Tim Miller (Blenheim - Fly to the Past) Next the ex organisor of the North Weald Air Fair events is display pilot, Anthony Hutton.

The Croydon Model Aircraft Club run an annual show with full scale fixed wing and helicopters at Hop Oast Farm, Kent. Theresa and Roger Godley are the names there.

With the 50 year date approaching, it would seem a super possibility to me, but probably no fast jets.

I guess one would need the co-operation of the Croydon Chamber of Commerce and the Croydon Council. I'm seeing the CAA GAD, Rob Metcalfe tomorrow at the DAE Seminar. I'll raise the idea for CAA feedback.

Anyone interesting in getting the idea going, I'll put you in touch with the names.

Displaying at Croydon ... where in the 1940s, I used to cycle out from Wimbledon to stick my nose against the railings and watch the aircraft. Pure nostalgia.

A while back a certain Mr O'Brien seemed to own the airport. Not sure if he still does. I know he invited me to land by the control tower (now the car park) to meet him around the mid 1990s. Bell Jetranger, G-BUZZ for the reggie buffs.

Best wishes all at 'Nostalgia!'

Dennis Kenyon.
Old 18th Mar 2008, 20:57
Cool Mod

Dennis me dear chap, check your PM's

PPP
Old 19th Mar 2008, 08:22
Gnome de PPRuNe

As I say, it's not something I could organise, but if it were able to happen I would certainly try to lend a hand!

However I do tend to think the restrictions of the site as it is now, plus good old Twenty First Century environmentalism would militate against it happening, quite apart form the sheer costs involved. The airport site straddles the Croydon and Sutton Borough boundaries.

Googlemap

The area criss-crossed with paths is that used for the last display in ‘88. I'm pretty sure the housing estate off the western end of area has been developed since the last show (not Roundshaw to the Northwest!). The area now seems to be a “managed open space” as opposed to what I remember as unkempt common land twenty years ago.

On the other hand, not only is September 2009 50 years since the airport closed, but also 70 years since the outbreak of World War II in which Croydon Airport played quite a part, so surely Croydon and Sutton could organise something that September. Close enough to the 15th and the BBMF might send the flight along - they normally do a flypast of the memorial around then I think.

The one thing I can do now is have a chat with one of my directors who is involved with Croydon Chamber of Commerce/Business in the Community/Future Croydon/etc, so he may be able to sow a seed or two of interest.

Cheers

Treadders

PS: a Croydon-based Bash would be simple to organise (if not any cheaper!) - anyone up for it and suggestions for a venue (Croydon Airport Hotel bar?).
Old 19th Mar 2008, 09:58

Treadders :

If you can suggest a date for a bash I'm sure several here will come Do Croydon Airport Hotel still know which was the room they set up as a private bar for pilots in the 1930s after they were banned from the refreshment room over in the terminal next door which had become their evening haunt ?

Possibly during daylight (ie weekend) rather than evening so we can walk round the field as well. I'll bring my wellies.
Old 19th Mar 2008, 13:14

Sorry and Bent

PrunePop wrote:
The airport closed in September 1959 and most aeroplanes and clubs moved to Biggin Hill, Surrey and Kent for example. CFI I think was ? Chinn - forgotten his first name.
He was Peter Chinn, and I am eternally grateful to him for allowing my great uncle Gordon Carey - one of his instructors - to take his great nephew up in Aircoupes and C150s during school holidays "for weather checks". That not only taught me the rudiments of flying but also instilled a love of aviation that has so far lasted 45 years.

Another instructor at S&K was "Tiny" Marshall, inevitably so called because he was HUGE!

BTW Surrey and Kent's twin taildragger at the time (mid60s) was Rapide G-AKIF, still regularly flying at Duxford in spite of once losing its tailwheel courtesy of an abandoned Biggin Hill Air Fair tentpeg......
Old 20th Mar 2008, 20:01

A Croydon Air Pageant ?

I spoke to the CAA Display Chief today and raised the idea of an airshow at Croydon.

I got an immediate 'yes' as far as the CAA were concerned, but subject to knowing and possibly restricting many 'unsuitable' types. (aircraft types that is!)

I guess the local nimbys would get excited.

Dennis Kenyon.
Old 21st Mar 2008, 06:54
Cool Mod

Dennis, I think the idea of another display there was looked at but the London Borough of Sutton decided that with the many new houses now occupying the site it is not feasible. But still a fine idea.

Seloco, Peter Chinn of course. I knew 'Tiny' Marshall well during the time we were all at Biggin, a great guy in all senses of the word.

Treadders, BDWG was indeed my Islander, and it did do 'joy flights' at Biggin but I wouldn't have been flying it.

As for a 'bash' it would be a good thing and the best time would probably be on a day that the Croydon Airport Society - http://www.croydonairport.org.uk/ - have one of their open days. With airport hotel next door it would be the perfect place to retire to for a bevvy or two.

I would definitely be up for that.

PPP
Old 22nd Mar 2008, 09:56
Gnome de PPRuNe

Dennis,

Had a word with my colleague, he thinks he knows who best to talk with at Croydon council - unfortunately I subsequently imbibed quantities of a certain liquid substance derived from apples which has buried the gist of our chat in the uncharted territories of my mind. So I'll speak with him again on Tuesday! PS, I may be an unsuitable type!

PPP,

Oddly enough that was the gist of a PM I just sent to WHBM. Another colleague mentioned the tours and it sounds exactly what we should do. I'll find out when the next ones are - WHBM suggests mid to late April at the earliest. Cor, a bash I can walk to!

Cheers

Treadders
Old 23rd Mar 2008, 01:21

Does the 194 bus still run to 'Croydon Airport'?

Just remicising my childhood & tenage years in Croydon circa 1965-1976
Old 23rd Mar 2008, 05:35

Treadders et al

Plse keep us all advzd re the bash, agree on an open day would be best.

I spent much time in the 50s school hols at Croydon as my Pappa was there with Olley (remember weekend flts to Deauville & Le Touq for the gambling & beach) then the Ministry afore getting posted to Hounslow Bus Garage, then Our Little Airport in the Country (LGW).

An aside, I spent many happy (ho hum) on the real -XL ex LGW, especially the greyhound charters to Deauville & Le Touq. I was with BUA, but Morton's was our little brother, great little operation with 'Tommy' Gunn as CP.

Phileas

Only bus routes past the aerodrome these days are the 455 from Purley & 119 from East Croydon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.