Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions
Reload this Page >

Qantas S/O's and F/O's who commute to Sydney?

Wikiposts
Search
The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions The place for students, instructors and charter guys in Oz, NZ and the rest of Oceania.

Search this Thread

Old 18th Nov 2007, 02:28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

G'Day

Would any QF S/O's or F/O's and Capt's for that matter who commute from Adelaide to Sydney to join their flights let me know what the process is like. Do you find it difficult commuting from Adelaide or have you managed to work your family lives around it OK.

You can PM me if you prefer.

Cheers
Old 18th Nov 2007, 06:29

And if anyone could possibly share info on commuting from Melbourne as a junior 744 S/o that would be appreciated. In particular information on commuting whilst on a blank-line roster, and whether this is at all achievable.

Thanks in advance
Old 18th Nov 2007, 10:25
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

I'm not a commuter and don't anticipate ever being one but I can provide some advice. Mostly this is from talking (today even) to those that have done it.

Commuting is easy as long as:
  • You don't mind spending a lot of time trying to work out how you're getting to/from Sydney
  • You don't mind stressing all the time about whether or not you're going to get on a flight
  • You don't mind spending extra days/nights in Sydney whilst doing Standby
  • You don't mind spending extra days/nights in Sydney the day before you have an early sign on.
  • You don't mind spending extra days/nights in Sydney due to getting back from a trip too late to get the last flight home.

Occasionally things will break your way and you'll get trips that start or finish in your city but these tend to be a bit seasonal and/or cyclical. What works this year won't work next year.

If you're fair dinkum on working for QF then be prepared to live in Sydney for the first 1-3 years. After that commuting may become a whole lot easier depending on what else is going on.
Old 18th Nov 2007, 11:25

Thanks Keg. Appreciate the info.