Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Misc. Forums > Passengers & SLF (Self Loading Freight)
Reload this Page >

Mobile Phones in the Cabin? Perhaps Not!

Wikiposts
Search
Passengers & SLF (Self Loading Freight) If you are regularly a passenger on any airline then why not post your questions here?

Search this Thread

Old 5th Nov 2007, 11:20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lifted from that excellent newsletter, ABTN;

A survey carried out by You Gov on behalf of the Business Travel Show highlights that nearly half of people do not want mobile phones on flights.

Carried out between October 1 and October10 this year, 65% of people strongly disagreed that mobiles should be allowed, while only 23% agreed or strongly agreed that it was a good idea.
I'm with the 65%. And if common-sense does not prevail, I reserve the right to drown out the cretinous chit-chat of the idiot using his or her phone with my iPod's portable loud-speaker.

Or, to use my mobile to say very loudly that I'm only doing so because there's a half-witted, garrulous, loud-voiced cretin using a mobile nearby who is driving me to murder, and I need to speak to someone to help me to calm down.

That works well on trains, generating blissful silence once the applause has died down.
Old 5th Nov 2007, 12:00
Paid...Persona Grata

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Strange mathematics at ABTN - 65%="nearly half"??
Afraid it is inevitable, though.

So - if mobile phones are allowed on aircraft, would mobile phone jammers also be allowed - they must transmit on the same frequencies, so couldn't affect the a/c systems any more than the phones do?

Anybody know a good jammer shop?

UFO
Old 5th Nov 2007, 12:44
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Wink

1. Mobiles in a/c cabins ARE inevitable because they = money.
  2. "would mobile phone jammers also be allowed" = see the thread:
    What constitutes 'electronic equipment'?
Old 5th Nov 2007, 12:55
Paid...Persona Grata

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
So if I get a poserphone jammer I will HAVE to take it in the cabin, it can't go in the hold??

That's nice.

UFO
Old 5th Nov 2007, 13:01

Just out of interest, what's the difference between "cretinous chit-chat" over a mobile phone or between 2 passengers sitting next to you?
If the airlines, especially LOCOs, can squeeze a few more bucks out of charging pax for providing mobile phone call facilities, I think it's inevitable they'll be introduced.
Old 5th Nov 2007, 13:12

My experience, on trains particularly, is that, apart from the inane content of the phone calls, the people making them tend to shout. I am sometimes tempted to ask them if they have their phones switched on!
Old 5th Nov 2007, 13:31

They never seem to have heard of "silent" or "meeting" ring modes either - as soon as the engines are shut-down (sometimes even, before) a veritable orchestra of inane ringtones starts up.....
Old 5th Nov 2007, 15:04
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Angel

A2QFI The reason that people tend to shout on a mobile is because of the small speaker on the phone and the ambient noise around them. This makes it difficult to hear the distant person and the brain thinks that they also cannot be heard - and causes the person to speak louder.

This is why a pax sitting with earphones listening to muzak or the movie, when asked a question by the CC or other, will also speak too loudly. You can try this at home. Turn up the radio and then make a phone call - you will have difficulty hearing and will talk louder. Have someone steadily up the radio volume and you will instinctively speak louder still. The person at the other end of the phone can probably hear you just fine because a mobile phone has a better microphone than it does speaker. This problem has been exacerbated by the fashion and marketing drive to reduce the physical size of mobile (cell) phones, the speaker also gets reduced in size and the small phone does not cover the whole ear in the way that early phones did, thus allowing sound to get in around the side.

(Sorry for lengthy explanation but 27 years in telecommunications tends to do that!)
Old 5th Nov 2007, 21:33
SXB
Riding the Euro Gravy Plane

Paxboy
One of my kids has recently discovered the delights of owning an Ipod, he rarely disconnects the thing from his ears and converses at somewhere close to 100dcb.

Thread drift....I also have an Ipod and I make a point of legally buying my music from the Apple Itunes store, though in the last week I've spent close to €100 on music for my son. I mentioned it to one of our IT guys at work who basically told me I was an idiot for buying it. Apparently, our IT guys scan our pcs and personal data areas for 'illegal files types' which they then delete but in the case of MP3s they first take a copy for themselves. So, the guy gave me an external hard disk containing 100 gygs of various 'teenage type' music absolutely free of charge. You've gotta love those IT guys

Back to thread, I hope the pricing structure of mobile phone calls is so high that it discourages the 'yes ! I'm calling from the plane' types. About €10 per minute should do the trick
Old 5th Nov 2007, 22:04

Pah! Luddites, all of you....

The mobile phone has brought incredible advances in technology such as Blackberry's for email and internet connectivity.
Whilst there are certainly people who use their mobile as a luxury item and can consequently be boring, they are far outnumbered by those who use it as a new and important management tool.
Most phones will be used by business travellers..geddit, BUSINESS travellers, travelling in BUSINESS class doing their job. The same people who use limos to the airport, fast lane check-in, luxury lounges and bigger seats, all of which are feature which can and will be criticised by others but all of which assist in alieviating life's toil and drudgery until one can return to the bosum of one's family.
I promise I won't shout....
Old 6th Nov 2007, 00:40
ZFT
N4790P

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm firmly with the luddites.
As long as the airlines recognise the need for segregated (i.e mobile or non mobile)seating arrangements and ban ringtones then it could work.
Without segregated seating, expect a higher incidence of air rage events.
Old 6th Nov 2007, 06:58
SXB

Strake makes a good point. Mobile phone connectivity probably means data connectivity as well, being able to use my Blackberry on board a plane would be extremely useful, so would being able to hook up my laptop to internet. The internet service on some Lufthansa aircraft was excellent, it was a shame that Boeing decided to withdraw it.....
Old 6th Nov 2007, 07:27
Final 3 Greens

Boeing Connexions was a great service and coupled with Skype gave affordable airtime.

I used this for conference calls and 1-2-1s, never had a problem when I asked the person in the next seat if they minded - most were curious and asked how to do it afterwards.

Old 6th Nov 2007, 15:32

Trouble is, Strake, it's the business class passengers, ie mostly business people, whose use of their mobiles on trains is so aggravating. They shout, for a start, and also, I suspect, for a reason.

Their conversations are designed to tell us all how terribly important they are, how much money they deal with, how very, very busy their schedules are, how many different things they can deal with all at once from a train.

And I'm sitting there saying to myself "You self-important w****r, if you were a tenth as important as you pretend you are, you wouldn't need to do all this. You sound like a delusional, incompetent control freak in a panic."

I don't really know what happens in other parts of the train. I would like to think they are more direct there and simply grab the offending phone and take the battery out. Business people are too polite, of course.

But my method of shutting them up (Post 1) works well in Business class (or First as we call it in class-conscious Britain). As it probably would in Business Class on aircraft, unless it gets me arrested as a terrorist. First Class passengers on aircraft have people to phone for them.
Old 6th Nov 2007, 21:58
Final 3 Greens

Capot

I travel regularly in first class and am just a regular guy trying to earn a crust. No one to carry my bags or make calls for me.

You, on the other hand, are crass bigot.

Old 6th Nov 2007, 22:49

Ah well, 3 Greens, you're probably right. No-one's perfect.

But, as well as being a regular guy (now why does that phrase bring back such awful memories?), are you also a delusional, incompetent control freak in a panic?
Old 7th Nov 2007, 08:03

Now then Capot, I sense you have some inner rage issues here.

Laugh at them, pity them... then, close your eyes breath deeeeply.... and smile quietly to yourself, knowing that you are at peace and content that you are not given to sweeping generalisations...

Then, you will be ready to leave trains as transportation and join us all in the "Happy Skies"...

"Om mani pan" old son, "Om mani pan"......
Old 7th Nov 2007, 12:38
Bex

Why does anyone need to use a mobile whilst in the air? Why do people bring laptops to breakfast and lunch? Remember the days when you waited until you actually GOT to work to call people. The majority of calls I hear in the airport are usually "Yes, I'm AT the airport now", followed by "We've got our gate now"., to "They are calling our flight" and then "I'm just getting ON the plane". Of course you then have those 'these-rules-don't-apply-to-me' types who think putting their phone on mute is the same as turning it off, and they continue to text throughout the flight.

No-body is that important that they need to have CONTINUOUS contact with the office/home. If that were true, businesses would have fallen over years ago, when we relied on the post. But they didn't.
Old 7th Nov 2007, 13:46
SXB

Why does anyone need to use a mobile whilst in the air? Why do people bring laptops to breakfast and lunch? Remember the days when you waited until you actually GOT to work to call people. The majority of calls I hear in the airport are usually "Yes, I'm AT the airport now", followed by "We've got our gate now"., to "They are calling our flight" and then "I'm just getting ON the plane". Of course you then have those 'these-rules-don't-apply-to-me' types who think putting their phone on mute is the same as turning it off, and they continue to text throughout the flight.

No-body is that important that they need to have CONTINUOUS contact with the office/home. If that were true, businesses would have fallen over years ago, when we relied on the post. But they didn't.
FWOF
Technology helps us to become more efficient and make better use of our time. Because of technology I'm more productive than I was 10 years ago.

I will often read my emails when I'm having breakfast in a hotel, most of the time I don't have anyone to talk to anyway. Those mails have to be read so it's something I don't have to do later.

As for mobiles on a plane the only circumstance in which I can think when I would use a phone is if I'm going to be late.

Capot
I travel in buisness class all the time and I wouldn't call myself "a self important w****r" What issues do you have ?
Old 7th Nov 2007, 14:22
Bex

Personally I hate to see laptops at the breakfast table. Clattering away and guffawing into a croissant is not the best of manners in my book. But that's just my opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.