Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Changing Start Date at EK

Wikiposts
Search
Middle East Many expats still flying in Knoteetingham. Regional issues can be discussed here.

Search this Thread

Old 15th Sep 2007, 03:25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Fellas,
Does anyone know EK's stance on changing your start date? Family issues (my wife's pregnancy) may get in the way of me making it to my start date (I haven't confirmed my acceptance of their offer yet due to this reason). I'm afraid they'll pull their offer if I ask for a break this early in the process.
ANy advice?
Old 15th Sep 2007, 03:31

If you are upfront about it and you give enough time , you will find them very accommodating. Provide them as clear a window of possible dates and then they can see where they will be able to slot you in for a start date that matches a course date.

BM
Old 15th Sep 2007, 07:41

No sweat, they'll cooperate. They're so short of pilots and as long as your wife delivers on another health insurance, the're happy too.....
Old 16th Sep 2007, 03:37

Thanks a million, guys. I have lost quite a fewnights of sleep wondering whether I'll be pushing it too far and risking losing my big career break.

I had asked for a 90-day notice period during the interview (two and half months to go), and I have another week to hand in my offer and send in the documents. My wife is due to deliver 6 weeks after I arrive in Dubai. She won't be able to accompany me on my trip, and I can't leave her alone in another country to deliver a baby while I'm hitting the books in Dubai. I may have to change my start date to March. Would that be pushing it too far?
Old 16th Sep 2007, 03:45

Just give them the reason and they will accommodate. Talk to your recruitment coordinator. What they don't like is, if you play for more time to look around. But I think that is a valid reason.

W_G_U
Old 16th Sep 2007, 04:12

you may just have to miss the delivery in order to secure the future of your new born. Play it safe, don't risk your and his/her future.

Good luck
Old 16th Sep 2007, 04:20

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bus Tie - what rubbish

Shaboom take WGU's advice.
Old 16th Sep 2007, 07:05

you may just have to miss the delivery in order to secure the future of your new born. Play it safe, don't risk your and his/her future.
Good luck
Maybe the worst advice I've ever read on PPRUNE. (If you're going to be a jackass, at least remove reference to Canada on your profile. Sheesh.)

Shaboom, as others have stated, EK is very good that way. With that good reason, they just move you back with no knock against you.
Old 16th Sep 2007, 07:46

Bus tie what sad priorities you have in life

Don`t listen to bus tie. With his priorities he surely doesn`t have kids or own a pet for that sake. Emirates will accomodate you and your wife.You both will have much less stress doing it the proper way. Who cares if you have to wait 6 months to start your new career. Wife and kids far more important than 60 meter + wingspan.

Last edited by fjordviking; 16th Sep 2007 at 07:50. Reason: language
Old 17th Sep 2007, 23:11

Relax guys,...slow it down to min clean......I said YOU MAY HAVE TO....I didn't say do it. Having said that; with my first hand exp. with EK HR department, He will never get to that point anyways.

Again, good luck
Old 18th Sep 2007, 21:39

BusTie
Instead of being 'just another number' I could order a Personal Title and help support PPRuNe

"Bus Tie" hails from the Great Frozen Tundra, which means one of two things. Either he is an alter ego of everyone's favorite Napoleonic runt, Mensaboy, or the ranks of obnoxious Canadian wank**s on pprune has just doubled!
Old 19th Sep 2007, 18:36

FM,

Well, after reading it, I realized that it may have been a rant, but it sure felt good to get it off my chest. I am man enough to admit when I went too far.

This is why I deleted the post.
Old 19th Sep 2007, 19:38

Joining Date

Hi Shaboom;
I had the same issue back in 2005.I had to postpone my joining date by six months for the same reason as yours.There was no problem with EK.
All the best.
Old 20th Sep 2007, 03:46

Fair enough...... S-et mine have gone as well
Old 27th Sep 2007, 03:34

Thanks fellas,
I gave my HRC a call a few days back and they were more than glad to assist me on the matter. My wife will be issued a joining ticket on the same day as I, and her resisency visa will be issued fro inside UAE once I pay the extra fee of 1200Dhs. All I can say is if the rest of the company is as caring towards the needs of their employees, this has all the hallmarks of a dream job!! I'm already proud to be part of this team, and I haven't even started yet!!
Old 27th Sep 2007, 05:35

Shaboom,
Just check if the birth of your child is covered by EK medical. Not sure if they will cover you for a preexisting pregnancy. It's not cheap here if you have to pay for it yourself.
Good luck.
Old 27th Sep 2007, 06:48

Its not covered and the rest of the company is not as helpful, you should have seen the day I had today and its only noon. Hope it works out for.
Old 29th Sep 2007, 16:58

Shaboom

keep your current medical insurance. Birth not covered in first 6 months.Baby not covered first 2 weeks. Average birth at American Hospital is $12000 . Mate of my is hitting $30000 now and wife hasen,t left the hospital yet. But I assume you did your homework
Old 29th Sep 2007, 17:08

Are you guys sure that's what Shaboom meant? i understood that he'll stay in his country and will join EK along with wife and kid after the birth.

If that's not the case, then these guys are right shaboom - check the costs as they can be pretty high. I would suggest you stay there with the missus until she gives birth and join later. EK will understand.
Old 30th Sep 2007, 19:56

Ah, well, I'vre already prepared myself for the high med costs. As I'm sure anyone with a conscience will understand, I cannot and will not leave my wife in another country and start cramming books in Dubai! However, can anyone tell me how I can get med coverage for the two weeks between birth and when EK insurance kicks in for the baby?