Wikiposts
Search
Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies) A forum for those on the steep path to that coveted professional licence. Whether studying for the written exams, training for the flight tests or building experience here's where you can hang out.

national diploma

Search this Thread

Old 25th Aug 2007, 09:54
justjoshing

national diploma

Im doing a national diploma in games development which is the same as three a levels, would this hinder my chances of becoming a pilot.???

Thanks josh

Old 26th Aug 2007, 19:58
justjoshing

It is the same as three A levels and is worth 340 tariff point.I was just wondering if airline would accept me onto schemes if i had it.I have math and science at grade B.

Thanks Josh

Old 26th Aug 2007, 23:17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I shouldn't think it'll hinder your chances from getting a sponsorship, just don't mention the Little green men you see and you should be ok.

It's a good back up plan to have but it's a hard industry for a person with a degree in 'games development' to find work, but I did meet people on my course at Uni who did their first year of their HND and then upgraded to a BSc (Hons) course. 4 years of work but you'll have the BSc (Hons) as opposed to having both.

Airline sponshorships will probably only look at your 2 x B's in Mathematics and Science at A'level standard. (I assume you mean A'level and not GCSE?)
Old 27th Aug 2007, 08:19

Josh, I've got to hand it to you buddy, you are without exception, the craziest ppruner I have ever come across, from asking specifics about which A-levels to do, before going and doing the exact opposite, to your UFO sightings. A true Virgin Galactic First Officer in the making!

Safe Flying

CR
Old 27th Aug 2007, 08:51
justjoshing

I have them at gcse, im doing a diploma in games development, it is the sanme as three A levels.Im planing on going to uni to something with the graphics then apply for sponsorship schemes.

Happy flying

Old 27th Aug 2007, 08:55

Hovering AND talking

Location: Propping up bars in the Lands of D H Lawrence and Bishop Bonner
If you are going to university, why do you need to know about whether your diploma in games development (whatever that is!!) is acceptable for airline sponsorship schemes. Surely, your question should be whether your degree (when you get it) in gamesmanship and conspiracy theory will be acceptable to the airlines.

Sounds like you haven't got a plan yet. If you want to become a professional pilot, you'll need a plan. A long term plan, carefully researched!

Cheers

Whirls
Old 27th Aug 2007, 12:15

I have them at gcse
If you don't have the A'level in Maths and Physics then you'll struggle to convince any airline to take you on. I found the difference between GCSE Mathematics and A'level Mathematics was huge! If you can only attain a B at GCSE standard then getting a A-C grade at A'level means picking up your socks.

I've researched a lot of sponsorships and they tend to ask for A'levels in Maths and Physics OR a Bachelors degree .... You'll have neither

And the 'Games Development' HND will only give you a taster of what the BSc will contain. Without the degree you wont break into the games development industry.

So:

No A'levels in Maths & Physics
No Degree
No Airline sponsorship
No Games developer job

Equals:

No money for self funded flight training
No back up plan
But you will have student debt

Good luck (And I mean that quite literally)
Old 27th Aug 2007, 18:42

Flybe
Have an absolute minimum of two A levels, to include Mathematics and Physics (or science based subjects)

EasyJet
You must have passed 2 "A" Levels at grade C or above (or have equivalent educational qualifications)

I know that a lot of pilots have no A'levels here and some do but not in Maths and/or Physics. But a lot of pilots here paid for their own training too.

If I was an airline offering sponsorships and I had a student who had two B's in Mathematics and Physics at A'level standard then I'd be quite sure the 14 ATPL exams are not out of his/her reach - It lowers the risks for the airline at the end of the day.
Old 30th Aug 2007, 14:06
justjoshing

Actually I was planning on doing architecture at uni, this games develpment is the same as A levels and it is an art and design subject.
I dont want to be a games developer i am just doing it so i can go to uni.
It is worth 360 tarrif points and most uni's only want 260.

I want to pay for my own traning.I just cant make my mind up between something in design or aviation.

Regards Josh.

Old 30th Aug 2007, 14:27

AlphaMale - that's only for the CTC sponsorship right? I dont see any A Level requirements on their websites for FO recruitment.
Old 30th Aug 2007, 20:52

That's correct Rick, I have not been through the process of a sponsorship as I'm 25 already and most of the sponsors are looking for candidates under 25 and have a PPL. Or candidates who are under 25 and come with two A'levels in Maths & Physics and have a big financial backing for a Ab-Inito with Cabair/OAT/FTE.

I'm over 25 don't have £25k in my back pocket, nor do I have an A'level in Physics or a PPL

I only said to Josh that Maths & Physics would give him a better chance at a 'Sponsorsip' as he spends a lot of time asking questions on the OAT forum.

Josh wrote:
i cant see a point in A levels, i dont reall want to go to uni and if i did fail ground traning which i doubt i would, i would just do A level night class then go to uni to do law or something.Just i would love to start a PPL now so i can basically start ground traning at the age 10 18.Just want to know hwat the employment was like.
I wont have A level math or physcis at A level just GCSE,mainly becuse i am crap at them.
can you take an i pod on board an airliner if you were a pilot to kill time?
Go **** yourself altflaps.
Josh has a bright future.