Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > North America
Reload this Page >

JAA ATPL to FAA ATPL

Wikiposts
Search
North America Still the busiest region for commercial aviation.

JAA ATPL to FAA ATPL

Search this Thread

Old 7th Apr 2007, 17:29

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question JAA ATPL to FAA ATPL

Does anybody know how I can convert my JAA ATP licence with a GIV type-rating into an FAA ATP licence with the GIV rating on it.

Any help is appreciated!
Old 7th Apr 2007, 17:59

I'm guessing a bit here but having converted from the UK to the FAA atpl a few years back I'm probably not too far out... Suggest you first contact a reputable training org that offers the GIV type rating.. Unlike the UK it's not common for people to do the FAA ATPL initially...they tend to go for the CPL and then push off to either the right hand seat or single crew part 135 ... only when moving over to the left hand seat of something heavyish do they upgrade to the ATPL and then it's done in combination with the rating... Any decent traing org should be able to line you up with an examiner. You'll have no trouble with the writtens... compared to Europe it's a walk in the park... on sunny day... with Paris Hilton. The oral is unfortunately not with Paris Hilton so you need to know your stuff and the flight test was the toughest I've had anywhere... though i'm told this varies with the examiner... mine was certainly fair but was not going to let anything go by.. a tough 2 1/2 hours...
Old 8th Apr 2007, 01:11

If you have a re currency due, get your company to book it at FSI in Sav. Then do the FAA ATP written (can be done in Blighty) and when you do your recurrent, the checkride for the ATP can be incorporated( FSI will advise you based on assessment). You can only get the GV added to your FAA license or FAA license issued with your GV type attached if you complete or have completed a FAA approved course. Your best bet is FSI SAV. as that is the factory course. Please be advised that there is a whole heap of TSA stuff to go through before you can go to FSI SAV or do any FAA course.
Old 14th Apr 2007, 11:20

Also make sure you do the validation of foreign licence on the FAA website. Do that asap as it can take some time. If you are UK JAA you also need form for CAA.