Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

BMI

Old 27th Nov 2007, 21:26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Baby

I bet today's flybe announcement at Cardiff has given them something
to think about .

I am sure BHX could find a home for a couple more 733's or MAN for
that matter.

Pete
Old 28th Nov 2007, 12:30

I was always under the impression that baby made a good yield at Cardiff, especially on the bucket and spade routes...granted this is something 'ive heard' but it would be a surprise to see baby leave Cardiff thats for sure.

Thye've already announced the Polish routes from here so I'm pretty sure they are gonna stay. Anyone who can shed more light on this?
Old 28th Nov 2007, 17:29

Announced today:

Birmingham - (Milan) Bergamo & East Midlands - Nice

Along with the summer return of Bordeaux and Perpignan from Manchester and Bordeaux & Marseille from Birmingham.

More routes will be announced shortly
Old 28th Nov 2007, 21:09

can anybody in the know, shed any light on any extra routes from CWL?
Old 30th Nov 2007, 15:50

Cardiff to Gdansk and Warsaw.
Old 30th Nov 2007, 21:28

i meant further routes as there is a phase 2 announcement due for the regions soon, just wondering if there is anything else due for CWL other than the GDN and WAW?

Noticed GVA has got good booking figure from CWL
Old 30th Nov 2007, 22:17

I doubt that bmibaby will concentrate on Cardiff now,

Flybe clearly want in on Cardiff, and im not 100% sure if bmibaby would take on a fight,

East Midlands or Birmingham seem to be the better choices at the moment,

But where could the new routes be from these bases?
Old 30th Nov 2007, 22:49

Well flybe only is doing domestic routes (Granted every domestic route baby does). There is still a large foreign operation for baby to grow, and expand. There are really though, only a few more viable outes they could operate, BCN comes to mind, and one or two others.

Noticed GVA has got good booking figure from CWL
Not suprised, all the TV adverts they have had on ITV recently, good market there, but I wonder how much all those adverts cost?

Edit to add-

BMIBABY insisted today that it was ready for a flights war with rivals Flybe – and were confident passengers in South Wales would stick with the airline.

“We’re 30 per cent cheaper than Flybe, operate jet airliners and provide good quality and reliable service. Why would people want to pay high fares?” declared commercial director David Hodge.

He was reacting after Flybe announced earlier this week that it was starting services to Edinburgh, Glasgow and Newcastle from March 30 offering greater frequency but using smaller capacity aircraft than bmibaby.

Flybe also has plans to expand in 2009 to provide services to Brussels and French provincial cities.

Mr Hodge said: “I had a little chuckle when I read the Echo about Flybe’s plans to come in with these services. Our fares start at £18.99, compared to £24.99.

“We’ve been a big success story for South Wales, bringing jobs in support services as well as indirectly at the airport.

“Flybe is basing its aircraft in Glasgow and Edinburgh, not adding any value to South Wales.

“We’re the big boys with 13 destinations and 2.5 million passengers have taken advantage of our low-cost services since we came into Cardiff in 2002. We will have a little bit of a battle but we don’t see them as competition. They haven’t been at Birmingham where we have a good track record.

“I’m confident our South Wales customers will stick with us.”
Source-
http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/news/...1466-20180775/

Last edited by Smile!!!; 30th Nov 2007 at 23:46.
Old 1st Dec 2007, 08:18

Baby/flybe

Smile

Interesting to see Birmingham quoted in the article, one thinks a little bit
of spin.

Although the CAA stats do not separate each airlines market share there
is some evidence to show that flybe have in fact held their own on the
BHX - EDI, GLA and ABZ. Not too sure about Belfast as some of last years figures included the ill-fated BACON route which distorted matters.

However during summer 2007 baby had four EDI's a day in the week,
a double daily Aberdeen (in the week) and three a day Glasgow.

In September EDI was due to go five a day and GLA four a day but this
did not happen. In fact EDI dropped to three a day and from October
Aberdeen went from 12 a week to 10 and drops to 9 next March.

Next summer EDI remains three, GLA the same and they both drop
to two a day mid July for high summer (extra Malaga's).

This could be part due to better use of aircraft but you know that they
were never going let loads of 15 -30 go on for two long on certain flights.

flybe seem to have maintained their load factors and in fact are increasing Aberdeen with the Q400 operating the last outbound from April and a forth flight on a Monday and Friday.

It will all depend if the market can support all these seats, at BHX it could not and I have not been surprised at what has happened. I picked up an EDI flight on 1/8/07 for a family of four, cost £105 all in with ten days notice (the aircraft had about 85 out and 60 in).

That alone explains that something had to give and I fear the worst at Cardiff in the long run. Perhaps EDI might be able to take the competition but Glasgow and Belfast at once a day must be in danger.

Pete
Old 1st Dec 2007, 08:50

So with international routes most likely being the way around it, could they expect routes like

Barcelona
Madrid
Rome

what about a few french routes... Bordeaux or Perpignan
Old 1st Dec 2007, 14:41

Next summers timetable at CWL show plenty of gaps for baby. They could easily slot in a few more sun and sand routes.

Absolutely stunned that they didn't take on Nice or Barcelona from Cardiff, they would be pretty popular and fit into the plan for CWL to be its 'bucket and spade base'.

As for baby in the long run, if they don't fight back at CWL then flybe will inevitably push them out. Baby have been pretty flaky for the past year now and you can tell they aren't too keen on the place anymore. Plus at EMA you can envisage Ryr squeezing baby off a few more routes like they are doing with Belfast. And frankly if EZY then move into BHX where will they stand then?
Old 6th Dec 2007, 15:33

I've just been told bmi have cut their A332 order from 5 to 1, anyone have any details?

Gutted if true.
Old 14th Dec 2007, 12:47

If anything is likely to happen with the A332 is, probably likely we will never see any new A330 untill LH take over. If i'm honest i will be surprised if we get that A321 that is due in the spring.
Old 26th Dec 2007, 22:42

ERj145 bmi regional

Does anyone know if the acquisition of 4 more erj145's announced early this year is still going ahead?
Old 26th Dec 2007, 22:48

Recent news is that they're cancelled. Regional need to look where they can go next. ABZ -MAN and EDI -MAN took capacity from failed routes. LBA - LIL and ABZ - KRS no thanks to BA/FLY BE who cancelled their services to ABZ.

The fuel cost on the E145 must impact but the product for the higher yield passenger i.e business who wants a lounge and easy flexibility is far superior to FLY BE.

Stuart Adams is a sound guy who knows his stuff. I hope they prosper.
Old 1st Jan 2008, 17:29

Anybody have any information about BMI getting 757/767 as an interim for the Bmed routes? JD
Old 1st Jan 2008, 17:46

Why do they need extra aircraft?

The rumoured new routes from BD Regional from EMA would be good expansion from Regional. Aberdeen, Zurich etc. (as previously mentioned).

SAM-EMA
Old 2nd Jan 2008, 21:02

Regarding the possibility of adding the 757/767;
http://www.atwonline.com/news/other....12%2F24%2F2007

Bmi is looking for additional capacity, possibly 757s or 767-200s, to support growth on several former BMED routes, Chairman Michael Bishop told ATWOnline at the recent Star Alliance meeting in Beijing. "We are looking for interim aircraft to improve the competitive element of our operation to certain destinations, which I can't disclose at the moment. But I can say that three of the routes that we inherited [from former British Airways franchise operator BMED] look to us as if they are capable of almost immediate development and expansion into bigger aircraft," he said.
He added that bmi wants to introduce nonstop services on these three routes, prompting the need for "aircraft with longer legs." The former BMED routes currently are operated with A321s.

Bmi also is planning new routes for its mid-haul network "that will take us further distances away," according to Bishop. "Those will either come into the A330s at some stage in the future or in the immediate future we may be looking for some kind of interim lift to satisfy the demand." Bmi has five additional A330s on order with the first new aircraft expected to be delivered early next year (ATWOnline, July 11).

The interim lift could be provided by either a 757 or a 767-200 despite the fact that bmi's mainline operation is streamlined around an all-Airbus fleet. "Well, you have to adapt to change," Bishop conceded. "We're looking for something in the middle there [between A321s and A330s] to give us more range and more capacity. Besides, we [bmibaby] operate 737s."
Regarding 2nd based a/c and new routes from regional at EMA, apparently word on the grapevine is that due to suitable 2nd-hand Embraers on the market this has been postponed for other more lucrative markets.
Old 2nd Jan 2008, 22:37

Thats what I was going to say! Have a little too much time on my hands so I'm flicking through all publications and looking into my little crystal ball. JD
Old 3rd Jan 2008, 13:21
Fit like min?

LHRINV axed

Will the same fate befall LHRABZ, LHRMME?

INV axed due to "insufficient demand" plus LHR costs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.