Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Ground & Other Ops Forums > Questions
Reload this Page >

Can someone tell me what is this person doing?

Wikiposts
Search
Questions If you are a professional pilot or your work involves professional aviation please use this forum for questions. Enthusiasts, please use the 'Spectators Balcony' forum.

Search this Thread

Old 7th Jan 2007, 12:54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, have just seen this on a website (break.com) It shows someone (pilot??) repairing something on the wing with tape. Can some one with more knowlage than me perhaps explain what is being done??

http://break.com/index/pilot_fixes_planes_wing.html

Hope this is the correct place to ask this question.

Monkeypuzzle
Old 7th Jan 2007, 19:11
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

You might be a little disturbed to hear this, but duct tape (it's a special aviation thick and extra sticky version) is part of every aeroplane engineer's toolkit. It looks like an A320-model probably India, having a split in the flap surface stuck down with tape by an engineer pending full repair later. More tape than you probably realise is used all over planes!
Old 7th Jan 2007, 19:49

Looks more like 'speed tape' to me, a thin, highly adhesive aluminium tape, widely and legitimately used in aviation as a temporary measure to cover/fair minor surface damage on a temporary basis. Nothing to do with 'fixing the wing' in a way that is at all alarming. No big deal, despite the usual comments on the originating website from those who just don't know!
Old 8th Jan 2007, 01:28

I suggest that H73kr is correct. It is likely “speed tape”.

I would also add that “speed tape” is used on “unpressurized” surfaces as a temporary repair. The typical use is to cover a small hole so that the airflow over the damaged surface can be maintained in flight, and subsequently repaired as soon as feasible.

11Fan
Old 8th Jan 2007, 13:20
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Speed Tape = <....duct tape (it's a special aviation thick and extra sticky version)> (for non-aviation people).
Old 9th Jan 2007, 15:43

Delamination

Hi all,

Looks as though he is indeed using speed tape (aluminium adhesive tape) to hold together a delamination of the flap. I'm fairly certain it's speed tape as you can see him taking off a backing to the tape before he puts it on tha flap. Due to the apparent age of the aircraft, this type of damage wold be fairly common. i.e. old techniques for composite structure. If left unrepaired, even temporarily, the delamination would accelerate... Never good.
Not too sure if a revenue flight can be undertaken with temporary repairs like that.
For example, a 737 NG with winglets can be ferried with one winglet removed, and the subsequent gap in the wing covered up with speed tape. Obviously there are severe restrictions on when the flight can take place.

Hope this adds a bit to the explanation of the video!
Old 13th Jan 2007, 22:57

Don't know about the 737NG but the Airbus 319/20/21 has a minor performance penalty for departing with a winglet missing and speed tape over the wingtip. This is certainly acceptable (in the CDL for our airline) for revenue flights . Moreover the Airbus is mostly plastic so that bit of tape is probably the strongest part!!
Old 10th Mar 2007, 20:50

Sorry for no replies

Hi

Sorry for not replying and saying thanks. All my posts seem to disappear and I have only just found them.

All the best

Monkeypuzzle
Old 12th Mar 2007, 22:21

Yep, speed tape for sure - excellent stuff.

Also in the vid, you can hear the PTU running which is the ruh, ruh, ruh sound. It is the hydraulic transfer system which would be in use on the ground when using electric hydraulic pumps.