Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Rotorheads
Reload this Page >

Derek Jones honoured

Wikiposts
Search
Rotorheads A haven for helicopter professionals to discuss the things that affect them

Derek Jones honoured

Search this Thread

Old 3rd Nov 2006, 18:04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Derek Jones honoured

The Central Flying School Guild Trophy
A periodic award to an individual, group or organisation that, in the opinion of the Court of the Guild and with the endorsement of the Central Flying School, has made an outstanding contribution toward the achievement of excellence in the delivery of flying training or instructional standards. This award is not normally to be awarded to a currently serving member of Her Majesty’s Armed Forces.

Awarded to: CAPTAIN DEREK JONES

Derek with Lord Stevens

Citation
Captain Derek Jones started gliding at Lasham in 1957, the same year as he joined the Royal Air Force for pilot training. After pre-Wings training on the Piston Provost and Vampires 5, 9 and 11, he was ‘creamed off’ to be a flying instructor in 1960. Taking advantage of the choice then offered to first tour QFIs, he opted for helicopters and flew two tours on the Whirlwind Mk 10 SAR, with No 202 Squadron at RAF Leuchars and with the SAR Flight at RAF Khormaksar. Derek then completed a CFS (H) course in 1968 followed by a tour in Singapore as SH/HAR Training Officer and Examiner. Returning to CFS (Helicopters) at RAF Ternhill in 1971, he became a Flight Commander on No 2 Training Squadron, still on Whirlwinds, and qualified as an A1 Category QHI. His last RAF training tour was from 1974 to 1977 as Flight Commander of the CFS/H Detachment at RAFValley, training pilots for the SAR role on Whirlwinds.

After leaving the RAF in 1977 and gaining his civil fixed-wing and rotary licences, he worked as a QHI at Bristow Helicopters Flying School at Redhill Aerodrome for the next 20 years, becoming a CAA Flight Examiner and TRE and then Chief Flying Instructor. Bristow’s school trained mainly Bristow sponsored trainee pilots and was the largest professional helicopter pilot training school in the UK, producing helicopter pilots of the highest calibre. Derek Jones’ exemplary standards and personal capability were crucial elements in achieving and maintaining such excellence in basic flying training.He also held approval to conduct Helicopter Flying Instructor courses and became widely recognised as one of the best civil helicopter instructor trainers in the country.

Currently, he is a QHI with HJS Helicopters at Aberdeen and is a PPL and CPL Flight Instructor, Flight Examiner, is approved to conduct FI(H) courses, and is a Flight Instructor Examiner. He keeps up his fixed wing skills by flying Cessna parachuting aircraft at St Andrews and he has a share in a Europa homebuilt.

All told, he has flown 24 fixed wing civil types, ranging from the Flying Flea to the Islander and nine helicopters types. He is just completing his 43rd year flying the Whirlwind. He remains a QHI and TRE on this helicopter and carries out CAA air tests for the private owner on the last one still flying on the British register.

In his 49 years of flying, Captain Jones has been an instructor for 41 years. In that time, he has flown a total of 12,400 hours, 10,600 of which are on helicopters (7,600 as a QHI) and 1,800 hours on aeroplanes. He still maintains his proficiency and skill across a number of aviation disciplines and, in that respect, is an aviation all-rounder. Derek has been and remains an outstanding basic flying helicopter instructor and examiner and one who has always required the highest standards of himself and of his fortunate students. He is awarded the Central Flying School Guild Trophy.

The Trophy was presented at the Guildhall, London. More details here: Trophies & Awards Banquet

More awards here: Awards

Link: Guild of Air Pilots

(Picture © Gerald Sharp Photography)

Last edited by Flying Lawyer; 3rd Nov 2006 at 18:55.
Old 3rd Nov 2006, 18:36

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Derek, a thoroughly well deserved honour.

I had the privilege both of being one of your last RAF students at Valley (and not a particularly brilliant one, at that) and later on serving as one of your team at the BHL training school.

For those of you who have never had the privilege of meeting 'The Deek', he epitomises the word 'Professional'.

A very good call by the awards committee.
Old 3rd Nov 2006, 21:41

"The Deek" was my instructor for quite a bit of my CPL course as well. He was a pleasure to fly with.

Quite a few years later Derek flew the S76 at Redhill off and on. It was an interesting role reversal all those years later when I was IFR PIC and Derek was my co-pilot.

Well done my old friend, thoroughly deserved.

HH
Old 4th Nov 2006, 10:20

Well Deserved

Well done Derek

I have only met you a couple of times but you really are a true gentleman who is well overdue for the recognition you richly deserve.

I raise my glass to you.
Old 5th Nov 2006, 00:07

Congrats! Derek - flew with him couple of times when I was training.
Old 6th Nov 2006, 11:59

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well deserved congrats for such a long and varied career.
As a Mechanic I had Tours at Tern Hill, Shawbury and spent many One Day / Six Week Dets to Valley too.
Sorry for the Drift, but - I was amazed to read that a Whirlwind was still flying so recently! Is it still?
Old 6th Nov 2006, 17:47

Last airworthy Whirlwind 10 still flying, based in Ireland
Old 6th Nov 2006, 20:19

Thumbs up

Heartiest congratulations to 'The Deek'.

I too had the honour of serving under him when I was instructing at Redhill and, as the old saying goes he taught me everything I know, but not everything he knows!. A Consummate professional, he commanded the respect of all who were lucky enough to work with him or learn from him. It was my privilege to have done both.

Long may he continue to pass on his skills to others and enjoy his long and distinguished career.
Old 23rd Jun 2009, 18:03

Question

Does anyone have an email address for Derek?
I've lost it and need to contact him.

If so, please would you PM me.
From memory, I think he used M's email address.

Thanks.

FL
Old 23rd Jun 2009, 22:43

Thanks for the PMs.

Much appreciated.

FL
Old 24th Jun 2009, 12:01

Congratulations

I had the priviledge of flying with Derek at HJS a few years ago and not only was it a pleasurable and enlightening experience but the man himself is so unassuming that I had no idea of the depth of his knowledge and experience till I read this thread, other than the obvious quality of his flying and instruction obviously.

A true gentleman to whom I am very grateful.
Old 24th Jun 2009, 17:26

First met Derek on 22 Sqdn at RAF Manston in 1968, that tour is not mentioned in the first post. Met up later at Redhill and again later still.
On 22, he came in the ground crew room and asked if anyone wanted to pick some mushrooms as he was going to do the early morning check flight on the Whirlwind. I said OK, strapped on my monkey harness thinking Derek was going to land near the mushrooms, he did, by doing several EOL's and no seats in the cabin, they were greasers and I was hardly shook up. We shared the mushrooms, they were delicious.
Regards, Derek.
F.
Old 24th Jun 2009, 21:35

Derek was on his usual excellent form when we spoke earlier today, and I look forward to more catching up in a couple of weeks when I'll be in Aberdeen.

Old 25th Jun 2009, 18:11

Well deserved Award

Could not have happened to a more worthy individual than Derek Jones.

Well done!
Old 29th Jun 2009, 12:14

Derek Jones

I knew Derek at Redhill for many years and he was an absolute gentleman and professional and well regarded by students and colleagues alike. I remember in 1990 going up to a summer party at Yarmouth during which Derek did a demo flight in a Whirlwind. I have never been so awe inspired by that; it still makes me feel nervous when I recall the things he made that aircraft do. He knew the limits and he went to them. His award is well deserved.

Last edited by Ongoing Saga; 29th Jun 2009 at 15:03.