Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Misc. Forums > Passengers & SLF (Self Loading Freight)
Reload this Page >

Free upgrades... for the brazen

Passengers & SLF (Self Loading Freight) If you are regularly a passenger on any airline then why not post your questions here?

Old 2nd Nov 2006, 06:59

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was on KLM from Zurich to AMS, then AMS to GVA last week. On the Zurich to Amsterdam leg, while the cabin crew was not looking, two separate passengers moved themselves from economy to business while we were still on the ground in Zurich, but after the headcount had been done. Both were then given the upgraded service. I have not seen that trick before. I think this could only happen on the CityHopper type runs. On the 737s, the crew seem to have a list of names of C passengers and use your name when serving you. Anyway, what do you think of this upgrade method?
Old 2nd Nov 2006, 07:59

Can they be so desparate for a free piece of bread ? Thought there was no extra legroom on the KLM feeders?

Or maybe they were friends of the crew Seems KLM staffers have a reputation for looking after their friends and family more than other carriers, much to the chagrin of many forced to endure KLMs hospitality.
Old 2nd Nov 2006, 08:03
The SSK

Just don't try it inflight, there might be a sky marshal onboard.

Old 2nd Nov 2006, 08:12

Happened once on a BA flight back from Toronto. Staff did a headcount and realised one too many in Club. Then went for the likeliest person in scruffy dress (i.e me) and asked for the boarding card, which I had by that point mislaid. Once resolved, they discovered its was the besuited gentleman in the seat behind and politely threw him out.
Old 2nd Nov 2006, 10:17
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Many folk try this and many folk get thrown out. Mostly, the CC will notice that an empty row is now occupied or other signals. IMHO, it's not an issue.
Old 2nd Nov 2006, 13:52

Did it myself couple of weeks back on Lufthansa flight from FAM to EDI. I was in the middle seat of the first economy row. It was a very full flight but when the doors were closed the row in front, business class, was completely empty.

As there was three of us in my row I asked the guy to my right if he wanted to move forward and give us all a bit more room. Being German he was mortified at the thought so I skipped in myself figuring that the worst that could happen would be that they relegate me back to my own seat.

CC never turned a hair but, for my own conscience, I didn’t take the meal etc. that was offered as all I wanted was a bit more elbow room and space to set up the laptop.
Old 2nd Nov 2006, 14:13

Seen it happen recently on a BA flight. One pax was allowed to stay in club, although he didn't get the meal. As I was paying out my own pocket, it pissed me off. Part of my reason for using club is more leg room. It seems you can get it free on BA, rather than paying.
Old 2nd Nov 2006, 14:45

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
MOMO, to my knowledge KLM CityHopper do not provide a C class service. Your post is a little confusing so I'm not sure if you were on one of the B737 flights or one of the F70/F100 flights.
Old 2nd Nov 2006, 15:34

Yup -

Yes they provide C class prices on some flights operated by City Hopper aircraft. There is no divider. The C-class seats have red headrest covers and the Y-class seats have blue covers. There is no difference in the seats, and not much for the meals either.

Copy and paste from my reservation below

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AIR - Wednesday, October 25
KLM Royal Dutch Flight 1964 Business
Operated by KLM CITYHOPPER

Zurich Airport
2015 hrs, Wednesday, October 25
Unspecified Terminal
Equipment:
Fokker 100

Duration:
1 hour and 40 minutes

Meals:
MEAL

Confirmed

To:
Amsterdam-Schiphol Airport
2155 hrs, Wednesday, October 25
Unspecified Terminal

Seats:
7A
NAME Confirmed

YOUR FLIGHT NUMBER IS KL1964
Old 2nd Nov 2006, 21:16

I don't fly the ZRH route, so I can't compare directly. However, on the CityHopper routes that I do fly, their is no real Business Class as such. What you get for your Europe Select fare is ticket flexibility, double points, and, yes, they will seat Europe Select passengers in the front section of the cabin. There is, however, no upgraded in-flight service.
Old 3rd Nov 2006, 11:15

Exclamation

Originally Posted by 10secondsurvey
Seen it happen recently on a BA flight. One pax was allowed to stay in club, although he didn't get the meal. As I was paying out my own pocket, it pissed me off. Part of my reason for using club is more leg room. It seems you can get it free on BA, rather than paying.
That is so unfair to say! And that is NOT the norm!

You should have said something, the CC usually can count (I have 10 meals and 8 passengers....) and have a good look at the P.I.L. but some passengers are really stubborn and try the old trick regardless. Guess what, doesn't work with me! We have some "voluntary upgrade forms" which include taking details of the credit card to take payment for the upgrade. One way for a short flight is £100. It can be up to £500 on some long flights for WTP. When I notice people trying to jump class I present them with the form. They usually decline and go back to their seats.

If the CC saw it and didn't do anything it might have been that they had enough meals and couldn't be bothered to create a possibly embarassing situation. This, in my honest opinion, is wrong and doesn't show good authority and assertiveness, and after all the person who should be embarassed by all of this should be the passenger themselves. I have seen many saying "Oh sorry I read my boarding card wrong!" to try and save the situation and go back to their seat with their tail in between their legs.

Speak up next time, make the cabin crew aware next time. It is your right to have the space and the quality of service you paid for!

(As for staff sitting in club, it's very complicated, we have different staff tickets, and with some we are indeed entitled to Club or even First.)
Old 3rd Nov 2006, 11:56

Happened on my flight VS012 BOS-LHR yesterday (actually dep BOS 1/11 1940hrs arr LHR 2/11 0710). Chap went from Economy into Premium prior to the doors being closed - not exactly sneaking as he was about 6'3" and wearing a bright blue do-rag, and straight to the front of prem centre row.
I was initially a bit miffed as the only discernable on board difference between VS economy and premium is leg room (so he couldn't turn down any real additional benefits like an upgraded meal) but then decided I was being a bit poh-faced as it didn't affect me in any way and just left it. (For all I know he asked the CC before doing it.)
Maybe I am jealous 'cos I am not sure I would have the brass-neck to do it myself!
Old 3rd Nov 2006, 13:45

Saw it done once when on a Lufthansa Frankfurt - Washington Dullas A340 flight in Business class with my two boys . Very light Business load , stewardess just checked our boarding cards as the tally didn't match and hoiked out some guy sitting next to someone else chatting away , obviously hoping to get away with it . He was asked to go back to Economy . Very nicely done , I must say . I know my lads would never do that now !!! Don't people understand headcounts ?
Old 3rd Nov 2006, 14:14

Hey Zed, your kids are spoilt. They should ride in the back and see how the real world lives
Old 3rd Nov 2006, 16:42

Please remember that at the end of the day you have commited theft by chancing your arm by sitting in a vacant seat like that. Im sure you are all law abiding citizens, a faceless crime is still a crime!!!!
Old 3rd Nov 2006, 18:01

Originally Posted by flybywire
That is so unfair to say! And that is NOT the norm!

I'm not sure why it's unfair to say, as it really happened, but to be fair to BA, it's only the second time I've seen it, in many years of travelling.

The guy involved knew EXACTLY what he was doing, and was on arrival almost first off the plane.

Although it pissed me off, I probably would feel a bit churlish to raise it with CC. Part of me thought why worry?, the other part thought 'cheeky B******'.

Last edited by 10secondsurvey; 3rd Nov 2006 at 18:02. Reason: can't spell
Old 3rd Nov 2006, 19:02

It seems you can get it free on BA, rather than paying.
10seconds, this was the unfair part. By reading something like that it looks like it is the norm in BA. For the rest, I absolutely agree with you.
I would challenge that, especially if I am sitting in Club. If I am sitting at the back......well, that's another story, although after the doors close anybody would be equally entitled to that upgrade. Rest assured that when I am the boss nobody can sneak under my nose (I sound like an old dragon, but I promise I am not, it just annoys me too much when I see that happen).

FBW
Old 3rd Nov 2006, 20:14
SXB
Riding the Euro Gravy Plane

I've seen a lot of people try but I've never been aware of anyone actually getting away with it.

A guy tried it on a flight I was on from MUN-SXB last week, there were only two of us in business class and as soon as the door was closed a guy move with lightening speed into the row behind me, the CC immediately noticed and told him to go back into economy class. It was all a bit pointless because it was a 40 minute flight on a CRJ200 and there were only about 15 people in economy. All the seats are the same, no-one was sat next to anyone else in either class and there was hardly a lot of difference in the food.
Old 7th Nov 2006, 01:25

I've heard of a guy doing this before, and being told to move back by the crew and refusing.

The c/crew carried on with the service, as normal and served the offending passenger, who took all that was offered thinking he was getting a free upgrade.

On arrival the Police were there to meet the a/c.

The option for the passenger - pay the difference in the fare or spend a night in the cells and end up with a criminal record. Guess which option the passenger took !!.

Old 7th Nov 2006, 10:22

Hahahaha Leezyjet, that is a true first class crew

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.