Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Rumours & News
Reload this Page >

BA 2166 from Tampa

Wikiposts
Search
Rumours & News Reporting Points that may affect our jobs or lives as professional pilots. Also, items that may be of interest to professional pilots.

BA 2166 from Tampa

Search this Thread

Old 11th Oct 2006, 07:39

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BA 2166 from Tampa

Hi
My folks just landed at LGW from Tampa and reported that their flight not soon after take-off had to take evasive action (a nose-dive) to avoid something above them - presumably another aircraft.
They said that several cabin crew were injured, and were seen by paramedics immediately after landing just over an hour ago.
Does anyone have any more info on this?
Old 11th Oct 2006, 07:54

I find it interesting that even though "several" crew were injured badly enough to require paramedic attention upon arrival at LGW, from an incident that happened apparently not too long after take off, yet the 8 to 9 + hour flight continued on across the Atlantic?

Methinks there is more to the story...
Old 11th Oct 2006, 08:22

I am just reporting it as I have been told by my parents who were on the flight and were extremely shaken up by it all.

We have only had just a brief conversation. They were just curious to see if anyone on pprune had any information, that's all. There's no intentional exaggeration going on here. I expect the paramedics were called just a precaution, and I don't know if anyone was seriously injured - I didn't say that!

If everyone was fine, then why bother with paramedics at all?

I'm more interested in any information about what caused the problem really.

Thanks for your input anyway.
Old 11th Oct 2006, 08:24

It's a 7.5 hour flight time. Returning to TPA would mean spending another night in that soul-less hotel for the boys up front.
Old 11th Oct 2006, 09:35

Originally Posted by Pax72
There's no intentional exaggeration going on here.
Sorry mate that wasn't what I was implying!

False Capture - at least your priorities are right hey ha ha - too bad for us crew down the back! (just kidding) I have never been to TPA... MCO was bad enough and I pray to god I never have to return there!
Old 11th Oct 2006, 10:10

I was on the Tampa flight.
Approximately 15 mins into the climb the aircraft suddenly dropped out of the sky; luckily all the passengers were all still strapped in but unfortunately the cabin crew were starting to prepare for service and several were badly injured - at least 4 were so bad that they were unable to continue working.
The captain came on and apologised, saying that he had to take 'immediate evasion action' to avoid a collision with another aircraft 'above him'.
There was a paramedic on board who apparently said that it would be okay to continue but it was touch and go as to whether they returned to TPA (this came from a flight attendant).
One of the forward club cabins was used as an area for the injured, we know this because we were asked to move to the forward cabin to make room.
I hope that the injured crew are all okay. I've been a frequent flyer for over forty years and it's the scariest thing I've ever experienced
I'm off now to change my underwear!
Old 11th Oct 2006, 10:23

I'm sorry, but this is simply incredible! Evasive action, followed by serious injuries and yet the flight crew continue? First a BA 747 loses an engine, but goes on and then this....You may have serious injuries, but hey, the crew need to get home.

Doesn't say much about BA's incident procedures. What other serious things happen that passengers are powerless to do anything about at 37,000ft? I'm truly surprised.
Old 11th Oct 2006, 10:31

A TCAS RA should not be a violent procedure. I am surprised that injuries could occur from pilot input in such a large aircraft anyway - perhaps they were hit by wake turbulence?
Old 11th Oct 2006, 10:34

Maybe he accidently knee'd the yoke? who would admit to that?

OK, a bit far fetched
Old 11th Oct 2006, 10:36

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by jerrystinger
I'm sorry, but this is simply incredible! Evasive action, followed by serious injuries and yet the flight crew continue? First a BA 747 loses an engine, but goes on and then this....You may have serious injuries, but hey, the crew need to get home.
Doesn't say much about BA's incident procedures. What other serious things happen that passengers are powerless to do anything about at 37,000ft? I'm truly surprised.
Whoa. Hang on there!! Evasive action is not in itself any reason to turn back. "Serious injury" might be, but you're the only person who has used the words, and I don't think you know any more about the nature of the injuries suffered than I do. According to Mr Pax, an onboard paramedic said it would be OK to continue, so presumably none of the injuries were life threatening or were going to cause the individuals involved significant pain or distress provided they were made comfortable. Perhaps, under the circumstances, the flight crew decided that on balance it would be better all round to get everyone home. I think they're more qualified to make that decision than you.
Old 11th Oct 2006, 10:51

The only incredible thing here Mr Stinger is your complete misreading of a post followed by world class exaggeration. We'll await your more detailed criticism of flying a 747 on 3.
Old 11th Oct 2006, 10:56

Technically and objectively speaking - what constitutes "serious" injury, or "badly injured" as Mr Pax put it. Inability to carry on with normal working practice could be anything from a twisted ankle to a broken leg (or worse).
And if "several" cabin crew were "badly injured", are there now sufficient to carry out safety procedures should they be required?
What is an airline's (or the CAA's) policy under these circumstances?
Old 11th Oct 2006, 11:06

I was expecting to be shouted down by defensive BA drivers....The point is still being (conveniently) missed, though.
Old 11th Oct 2006, 11:07

Personally if I was one of the crew on that flight that had been injured, I think (unless it was a potentially fatal incident) I would rather continue on home and at least get to my friends and family instead of diverting and dwelling over the incident alone in a strange hotel or hospital!!!

What makes a good Captain is the ability to make such desicisions and decide what will be best for the crew/passengers and on this occassion I think he/she made the best decision!

And no Stringer, it is not being missed, you are simply misinformed and not understanding of the situation. And it is clear that you want to turn this into a BA bashing thread so lets not rise to it everyone!
Old 11th Oct 2006, 11:16

I would think the 'injured' may well have been consulted on the decision, and agreed they would much rather get attention at home... I see it more their decision than anyone elses - isnt it?
Old 11th Oct 2006, 11:42

Wheather you want to get home or not its your decisions its the safety of the passengers which is more important. Dont know the extent of the injuries if it was only cuts and bruises fair enough. If it was a serious cut/bruise would the cabin crew be able to perform his/her SAFETY duties i.e. assist with a fire, evacuation, deompression etc etc. Dosent matter if you cant do the drinks/food service thats not important as your main reason you are there is for passenger safety.
Old 11th Oct 2006, 11:49

Originally Posted by jerrystinger
I was expecting to be shouted down by defensive BA drivers....The point is still being (conveniently) missed, though.
I think you are missing some points jerry.
There were paramedics on board (as reported by someone present) who would assess injuries and inform the captain to enable his decision making.

The aircraft was fully serviceable (I presume).

Presumably the injured would be made comfortable, and, depending on the number of pax on board, were the crew below operating limits? If not, the remaining crew could elect to continue.
The injured could elect to continue, I would.

Let's see what the crew say?
Old 11th Oct 2006, 12:01

"...........were the crew below (LEGAL) operating limits? If not, the remaining crew could elect to continue".

I'm not sure where 'crew below operating limits' comes into the equation. The only options are 1) Continue. 2) Return. As both options involve a landing what's the down side of continuing?
Old 11th Oct 2006, 12:14

Forget: There is much more to CC's job than safety during take-off and landing. Inflight medical emergencies, inflight fires etc - these are all part of the safety aspects of the role of CC.

What type of A/C crewed this flight, and how many crew do BA usually have on said type?

I would be interested to hear from crew involved in this - see how bad injuries were, how they were consulted, why the decision was made to continue as opposed to returning etc etc
Old 11th Oct 2006, 12:20

From TPA, it is a B772, 3 class, therefore 11 cabin crew.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.