Wikiposts
Search
Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies) A forum for those on the steep path to that coveted professional licence. Whether studying for the written exams, training for the flight tests or building experience here's where you can hang out.

The cost of achieving fATPL?

Search this Thread

Old 3rd Mar 2006, 18:33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question The cost of achieving fATPL?

Hello, I've got a question about job.
I'm interested in flying, and I'm building home cockpit with my dad, in future i wanna be a pilot, and i have some questions about this:
How much hours i must have flown to get a job in some american airline, and how much cost to flown these flying hours in america?
PS. sorry for my english
Old 4th Mar 2006, 10:36

to get a job with an american airline you must make sure you have the right to live and work in the US first!
Old 9th Mar 2006, 09:12

Good for you young man, study hard at school and you may be lucky enough to pick up a cadet scheme.
To learn to fly in England it is about £5000.00 that is just your PPL
Happy Sim Flying Days!!
Old 9th Mar 2006, 14:29

100'000 euro with a type rating.
what you can do, is sell type ratings on your home build simulator, then charge pilots 30'000 euro.
print them a certificate and tell them it is JAA approved.
when they will discover the scam, change country, and repeat the same thing.contact eaglejet, maybe they will send you some of their students on their waiting lists...

what kind of plane are you building?
Old 9th Mar 2006, 14:41

A320 Rider,

Your posts are a complete joke, and for every post you write, you lose even more respect from those that read them. You don't have much of a future in this industry so start being positive and try and give some constructive advice.
Old 6th Apr 2006, 18:16

You forgot rental of aircraft and landing fees and navigation fees not to mention test fees

edit- nice to see a female wannabe, Makes a change
Old 6th Apr 2006, 18:39

Different schools have different costs. Get in touch with schools like Stapleford Flight Centre, Cabair, Atlantic Flight Training, Oxford Aviation Training, etc. and ask them about the modular course and the costs involved.
Old 6th Apr 2006, 18:45

Forgot to mention that if you are willing to relocate, you could obtain a foreign licence and return to the Europe to convert.
Old 6th Apr 2006, 18:53

To start CPL I think you need 150 hours total time, of which 100 must be PIC, not 150 PIC.
Old 6th Apr 2006, 19:41

Wot ultimatepro63 said, plus class 1 medical, accomodation (on ATPL theory brush up courses and CPL/IR courses if away from home), ATPL exam fees, personal equipment and CAA licence fees.

And don't forget that the schools' quotes are for minimum required hours. You may want to add 50% to each course as contingency against extra hours and other costs not included in the quotes.

The only other minimmum hour requirement I can think of, apart from for the CPL, is 70 hours PIC for the Multi-Engine.

Good luck with the PPL.
Old 7th Apr 2006, 08:31

In regards to doing your PPL in the UK let me give you some tips from experience. Find a club that is in tune with your thinking about how long you want the PPL to take. Look them straight in the eyes and get them to agree to a date for completion subject of course to your ability. If they start hedging their bets then I would look elsewhere. I speak from experience on this. Having done 20 hours at a NW London school many moons ago and on my 3rd instructor I was continually going over the same stuff and paying through the teeth for it. I was ready to go solo after about 10-12 hours but had an instructor that would make me fly dual if the weather was marginal for fear of losing cash by cancelling the slot on the day. Added to this were the usual cancellations for weather/hangovers of instructors/aircraft tech/fire engine broken so field not legal etc. I finally gave up and went to Florida and did the whole thing in 3 weeks flying twice a day. Did wonders for my confidence and I ended up consolidating my flying by taking more holidays a short time later and burning 100 hours. Your wish to learn in the UK is commendable but don't let it get in the way of you completing your PPL in a reasonable time frame. Don't be afraid to pull the plug on it and hop on a plane if you get stuffed around by a club either. On returning to the UK with my nice shiny licence I knew I would have to do a checkout and familiarisation. I found a nice friendly club and enrolled on an IMC course. Rather than just paying an instructor for checkouts I had rationalised that I might as well get some proper instruction for my money so the IMC made sense to me. There were added benefits for another jaunt back to the US as it enabled me to hone my instrument and navigation skills as well and give me much greater confidence bimbling around the deserts knowing 100% where I was rather than relying totally on VFR maps and picking obscure landmarks etc.

With the weather changing you have probably chosen a not to bad time of year to be starting although just remember that every other club member will be thinking the same and dusting off their flight bags ready for a bimble around the skies. Book up loads of slots months in advance and if you can try and fly a couple of times a week at a minimum so that you don't find yourself forgetting what you did last lesson and having to reconsolidate. Good luck.
Old 1st May 2006, 07:45

total costs for atpl in usa

hi there,

i'm from germany and wants to do my atpl...
how many money do i have to pay if i want to do the atpl in usa? not only for the school. for everything (living, etc.) i think many of you did that or wants to do it too.

bye

klaus
Old 1st May 2006, 12:37

Roughly €60,000. I can't give you a specific quote as personal prefrences dictate what sort of price you will pay.
Old 6th May 2006, 10:33

yes more or less that price!
Than depends if you wanna do the FAA study there and than the conversion or you wanna get the JAA studies in the US

recently i've been in Florida and the living costs aren't so high...calculate 1000$ per month (but if you spend them all you are CRAZY!)

While if you wanna do the JAA course in the states have a look for example here www.near-as.no

Fabio
Old 8th May 2006, 22:53

How much will a JAA CPL H cost me?????

Hi.
I want to do a JAA PPL/CPL/CFI H !
Im thinking od going to HAI,How much Rufly will it cost me?
Thanks
Old 8th May 2006, 22:58

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
Why not try ringing HAI?

Phil
Old 8th May 2006, 23:05

Hovering AND talking

Location: Propping up bars in the Lands of D H Lawrence and Bishop Bonner
You'd be best off searching the Rotorheads forum for the answer to this! If you are thinking of going to HAI (and there are disadvantages - again, search the forums), then contact them for quotes.

Where you want to train can also depend on where you want to work! You need to look at the employment prospects as well.

Your question is too open and too global for anyone to answer it simply!

In the UK, the minima are 45 hours PPL, then 110 hours hour building (which will include your night rating), 30 hours CPL, then hour building for another 65 hours for the instructor course and then the FI course which is 35 hours (IIRC). If you do this on a Robinson at, say £210 per hour (rough/ruff UK average) it will total £60k. Then there are various fees and exams costs plus ground school.

Cheers

Whirls

Going to have a lie down as I've just scared myself with those figures!
Old 8th May 2006, 23:14

Thanks..
So about €80,000. And because im 17 now,will i get an instructor job ahndy enough after training? Whats the CPL pay like per year???????
Old 8th May 2006, 23:20

Hovering AND talking

Location: Propping up bars in the Lands of D H Lawrence and Bishop Bonner
Originally Posted by Sean H
Thanks..
will i get an instructor job ahndy enough after training?
depends on which country you want to work but there is not a lot of work around. You might get part time work so make sure you have another career/job to fall back on.

Originally Posted by Sean H
Whats the CPL pay like per year???????
Pretty low! Even if you can find the work. There is very little work for low-hours CPL(H)s. AT 17, you might want to consider joining the Forces!

Sorry to be pessimistic but it's an employer's market at the moment and, until you've got at least 500 hours, you would be very lucky to make a living on it.

Cheers

Whirls
Old 8th May 2006, 23:27

As I nearly have my PPL A,mabey I should stick with an Airline career looking at those heli costs!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.