Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Rotorheads
Reload this Page >

Deadly Encounter Movie

Wikiposts
Search
Rotorheads A haven for helicopter professionals to discuss the things that affect them

Deadly Encounter Movie

Search this Thread

Old 11th Aug 2005, 07:43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deadly Encounter Movie

Does anyone own a copy on DVD of Deadly Encounter, it star's Larry Hagman.
I know its bad acting and its old but the flying in it is great.
I would like to get a copy of it, as it is no longer available.
Can any one help me?
Old 11th Aug 2005, 17:02

Deadly Encounter

Do you know I threw out the film Deadly Encounter on 3 DVds (burned for me by a guy in the states a while back) about a month ago....typical !
I've still got a vhs copy.
I've just looked on Ebay, there's a vhs there available for $15 plus p&p, that's where I got my vhs from.
Problem sorted.
Kev
Old 11th Aug 2005, 23:30

Thanks mate

Thanks mate I will look for it.
Thanks for your help.
Old 14th Aug 2005, 01:00

I have VHS too! As you say, poor plot but made by someone who clearly loves helicopters.
SP
Old 14th Aug 2005, 08:43

I got talking to Vaqueroaero one time about this film - he was actually going to meet Larry Hagman. I'm sure he won't mind me quoting his PM on the subject:

'[Hagman] summed up making 'Deadly Encounter' as "Totally nuts"!

Apparently most of the stunts he was in the 500, but had no idea how dangerous the stuff was until afterwards. As he pointed out they never got the shot on the first take. If you've seen the movie, the part where they fly through the shed by the docks took 5 takes to get the desired shots. He's not a rated pilot, but shook the stick for some of the scenes. He said he really struggled to keep it in a straight line.'

!
Old 14th Aug 2005, 11:49

Hi Starflex,
Can't say I've seen Deadly Encounter. Don't know if you've seen 'Birds of pray'? Stars David 'fugitive' Jensen. Again crap plot, but GR8 flying scenes. Basically hero in 500 chases baddy bank robbers in Alouette 2 all over the Mid-West.
Check it out you may enjoy!
Old 14th Aug 2005, 12:05
Gatvol

Try this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...video&n=507846
Old 14th Aug 2005, 13:41

Stormy

I don't think that's the right movie. It was made a different year (1975 not 1982) and doesn't star Larry Hagman - just basing it on this. Take care!!
Old 14th Aug 2005, 13:46

The movie you are talking about is surely:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083800/

The other great helo movie was "Birds of Prey" starring David Janssen. Fantastic helo flying:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069787/

Last edited by NickLappos; 14th Aug 2005 at 14:13.
Old 14th Aug 2005, 18:10

I have been looking for “Deadly Encounter” on DVD for over a year. Please let me know if you find a source. There is one copy on Amazon.com at the moment but it is over $500. (It is still there if you want it) I managed to get a copy of “Birds of Prey” about two weeks ago on DVD on ebay for $14.00. I think there are still copies available. The other great helicopter sequence of that era is the last ten minutes of “Capricorn One” with Telly Savalis. Fantastic stuff. Jim Gavin and Davy Jones I seem to recall were the great pilots of the era. Definitely worth a watch if you can find a copy of any of the above.
Old 14th Aug 2005, 22:27

I managed to find a new copy on DVD of Birds Of Prey at Amazon.
Its only $9.95 US.
Dont know how I am going to play it on a region 4 DVD player But I will have to work that out as I go.
Does anyone know how to copy and remove the region encoding?
Old 14th Aug 2005, 23:21

If you are pretty computer savy, and happen to have a hack-able DVD player, here is a site that can help:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

If not, check the list and see which DVD's are easy to hack and get that one. I have a DVD that can read any region code, found it on eBay (of course!)

Just look for a DVD that is capable of "region 0" (that's a zero). Here is an example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/DVD-6800-5-1-Cha...QQcmdZViewItem

Also, all DVD's on computers are region 0, I believe.

Last edited by NickLappos; 14th Aug 2005 at 23:45.
Old 15th Aug 2005, 00:24
Gatvol

It appears we have some interest here. From what I gather after reading the synopsis for both, that the one wanted is more than likely a 1982 TV adaptation of the movie done in 1975. New Cast etc. That will surely make it harder to find. To do some research I would need the Studio etc and then contact them. Never say never as someone does have the answer.
I have a good friend who is an actor and did some of the Dallas series with "The Hag" I will email him for the straight scoop.
By the way the www.imdb.com site is a great reference, I use it all the time. Another great search site is www.copernic.com they have a free download that will compete with the best of them..
Old 15th Aug 2005, 00:49

For Info on "ripping" DVD check out this site....

http://www.dvdr-digest.com/articles/...=23&mode=print

Starflex if you need any help just PM or Email me I'll be glad to help....

Nick, DVD drives on computers are not region 0 but normally get set to what ever the region is of the first DVD you play or are set to the region in which you purchased the DVD player. Having said this there are a few ways to change the region code on many computer and consumer DVD players.....
Old 15th Aug 2005, 10:38

Thanks cobra427 thats a great site, seems to explain it all.
Old 15th Aug 2005, 12:36

Pushing the boundaries of believable reality past its limit, the entire first season of Airwolf was released on region 1 DVD a month or so back.

Si
Old 15th Aug 2005, 21:45

Re: the plot in Deadly Encounter, I was amused on first viewing of the film to see Larry Hagman refuelling the 500 with a mixture of petrol and diesel. (The heroine of the film bought some flip flops at the same time, I seem to remember). What are the consequences of running a turbine on non Jet A1 fuel?
Old 16th Aug 2005, 02:58
Gatvol

HOGE. No problem. Just requires a write-up at least in the Huey. Many times in the old days when we had long x/c flights in the states we used to take on a bit of avgas.... Cant do it everytime, but it works. Write up I think required a hot end check after so long....
Now in a recip things will get quiet real quick if you dump in Jet A. Most recent I remember was a twin in San juan PR. It got off the end of the runway before the engines said." nope thats Jet A ,I quit"
Old 3rd Jun 2006, 23:36

Deadly Encounter restored

Hai, just to let you know that fans digitally restored Deadly Encounter from VHS, since the original DVDs were nowhere to be found. It is not an ordinary VHS-to-DVD transfer. The original frame sequence was retrieved, de-interlaced, noise canceled, and PAL, NTSC and DivX versions constructed from the restoration process. The new NTSC runs much smoother than the original NTSC... Check out eBay.
Old 4th Jun 2006, 01:41

HOGE asked: What are the consequences of running a turbine on non Jet A1 fuel?

Depends on the turbine. Those of us "of a certain age" will remember when turbine helicopters had heaters designed to run on gasoline. They didn't like kero much, and were so finicky that you could easily "foul the plug" or something and find yourself freezing your tootsies. Back in those bad-old-days of Janitrols in Jetrangers, we would routinely put in up to one-third avgas in the jet fuel with no restriction. I don't have my RR manuals in front of me, but I believe that little model 250 sewing machine would probably run fine on orange juice if it's all you had.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.