Wikiposts
Search
South Asia and Far East Wannabes A forum for those applying to Cathay Pacific, Dragonair or any other Hong Kong-based airline or operator. Use this area for both Direct Entry Pilot and Cadet-scheme queries.

Cathay Pacific questions

Search this Thread

Old 27th Jul 2005, 17:46

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cathay Pacific questions

Hi

can someone answer a few qestions for me please.

1. what is a normal months roster for a CX 744 pilot.
2. how long before departure do pilots meet for prefight briefing.
3. what is preflight briefing.
4. Are there 3 or 4 pilots for long haul flights.
5. how do pilots splite the time between each other when in crz.
6. can 744 pax crew fly a cargo flight
7. are there pilots based in the uk for cargo or pax

If it isn't a problem can you guys help with these questions thank you

CX256
Old 30th Jul 2005, 05:04

What we do

CX256,

1. Not sure about the 744 SO roster as I don't fly it, but the SO A340 is 3-4 trips per month. Each trip lasts 3-4 days depending on where you go. Aukland is 3 days, New York 4. In between trips are days off or sim. SO gets a sim every 6 weeks.

2. In HK we meet 70 mins before departure, at an outport only 60 mins. This is the company minimum, but you'll find as most people use public transport to get to work, the crew will be there maybe an extra 30 mins on top of that. Also, that time frame of 70 mins, means you only get 10 mins to look at the paperwork, before having to board the shuttle bus to go to the aircraft, so guys get there early to give more time looking at things. You can also get access to all the pre-flight info (WX, NOTAMS etc) at home before you come to work.

3. As above, but we also talk about girls and where we'll be drinking at the destination.

4. Depends, 3 pilots for flights to Aukland and Sydney, not sure about other destinations in OZ as I haven't done any others. 4 pilots for the long haul trips to europe and new york. Once again I'm only talking about A340.

5. This is worked out normally pre-flight or once under way and well into the climb. Generally first shift is 2 hrs, then 2 hrs off, then halve the rest of the flight time. However for 3 man crews, the SO gets shafted a bit as the other 2 have to be well rested before descent. SO gets first rest (when not tired) and then you have to work the rest of the night until just before ToD. On a trip to New York recently we completely halved the rest period on the way home, as the capt and FO were tired but the RC and myself weren't, so we did the first period of 7.5 hrs, then had the rest of the time off. It just depends on how everyone feels.

6. Don't know, but in the contract you sign when joining, it does say that 744 crew may be asked to fly cargo if required. I don't know if it has ever happened or not.

7. Yes, There are bases all over the place. But even if you take a base in Europe you can still live in the UK, you just have to get yourself to work.

Maybe others with more time in the company can help more with the basing questions.

WP
Old 30th Jul 2005, 17:00

a little add-ups.

1)the roster of a 744 s/o is pretty much the same as the bus s/o but only "fly" on one type at the moment (poss. 777 wil be added later). the rank from F/O and up is a bit tighter as the big boy serves some regional routes such as MNL or SIN.

6)it does happen but rare, usually during reserve block.

7)currently, the permanent basing for 744P are LAX/SFO/YVR/FRA/LON & PAR. more for the cargo crew.
Old 30th Jul 2005, 20:02

Hi

Thanks WP and Mizzy for your replys.

crews base in London how would they operate do they fly back and forward to Hkg or to Hkg then fly to other destination and bk to base at the end of eash month.

Cx256
Old 1st Aug 2005, 06:25

mizzy,

I thought pax base is only in HKG....(unless 744p means something else)
Old 1st Aug 2005, 08:38

ranklein..

nah....they are all over the place, some are perm (as long as the type is serving), some are tempo, pop-up from time to time.
Old 1st Aug 2005, 11:03

Slightly confusing I think. My understanding is that the only SO base is HKG. The other bases are only available when you become a FO or higher.
Old 1st Aug 2005, 11:22

"posted 1st August 2005 18:38
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ranklein..

nah....they are all over the place, some are perm (as long as the type is serving), some are tempo, pop-up from time to time"
Mizzy ,
Grateful if you would clarify your post please. Do SOs get basings?
Old 1st Aug 2005, 12:22

BlueEagle

I think the original question referred to pax crew in general. In which case they can get a base if they are on the right aircraft and a base is available there for their rank and seniority. S/O’s must be based in Hong Kong. They can after a period of time, the length of which eludes me, apply for a temp base out of Hong Kong for a period of two months at ports designated by the company.
Old 1st Aug 2005, 14:23

sorry for the confusion, yes, S/O do get basing but on a tempo bases, no perm. No basing aside from HKG for JFO, Perm basing only avaliable to Capt and F/O. all officers must return to HKG for any upgrade course and serve as HB again. of curse, all basing opportunities are based on rank and seniority. those are for pax, not cargo.
Old 1st Aug 2005, 23:19

Thank you 404 and mizzy. We need to keep the picture as clear as possible!