Wikiposts
Search
Terms and Endearment The forum the bean counters hoped would never happen. Your news on pay, rostering, allowances, extras and negotiations where you work - scheduled, charter or contract.

Gulf Air assessment

Search this Thread

Old 24th Mar 2005, 13:09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gulf Air assessment

Have a Gulf Air assessment coming up. can someone help with some pointers and any relevant info? thanks.
Old 24th Mar 2005, 17:35

Angel

pprunepilot :

There is a wonderful search machine on pprune.

You will find all informations you need...

Cheers!
Old 25th Mar 2005, 20:40

thanks picobello.

i tried the search machine. did come up with some tips but only from guyswho attended the interview way back in 2003. i hear the interview process has changed. therefore am looking for updated info from guys whomight have recently gone for an interview.

hoping for some wholesome information.
Old 26th Mar 2005, 02:06

Prunepilot,

Check the Middle East forum if you have not already. Good luck!
Old 26th Mar 2005, 05:59

thanks Riker,
i did do that. but like i said i am looking for some current info.........most of the guys appeared for their interview a while back.

looking to know what the group discussion entails and what type of technical questions for non rated F/Osfor either 767 or airbus. is there any particular study material i can refer to to brushup.

cheers!
Old 26th Mar 2005, 07:31

day 1) presentation company
psychometric tests

day 2) interview
some sort of flightplanning
group discussion
(not always in this order)

*psychometric test done by this company http://www.shl.com/SHL/en-int/
example:
.;/? = .,/? or ,./? or .:/? or .;/?

like this and then say 100 of them to be completed in 4 minutes.
you will not be able to complete them all, but that's on purpose.
its to be completed in pencil i.o. black ink so they can change it afterwards!!

also a tekst and then questions with answer yes,no, cannot say...

Complete bull****, nothing to do with aviation , just there as an excuse to fill the pockets of these recruiting people.

*interview
done by 2 other pocketfillers
What was the most terrible moment in your life and how did you get through it?
What is your strongest point , weakest?
Describe your career till now
etc etc etc for an hour and a half.
Again nothing to do with aviation.

*sort of flightplanning
flight from A to B via C,D,E. tech problem in flt, what's your plan to continue to B , taken into account opening hours/notams in ABCDE , ramadan period (feeding times Px) , and the famous incident between a local male CC chief and an expat female CC.
(guess they ask it their trainees because they don't know it either)
1 hour time, 30min to read the task, 30 to solve it or not.

*group discussion
room... table... 4 chairs... together with 3 other candidates.
Read a booklet with info, then decide what you will do and why.
play the leader who consults his teammembers. You will be monitored by 3 to 4 other pocketfillers, very nice

That's it. No sim check. Hard to believe that you did all this efforts to fullfill all requirements to become commercial pilot and that airlines invent something else extra, not required by any law to hire/not hire you? Welcome in the reqruiting world 2005.
Old 27th Mar 2005, 04:34

Geez...didn't get past the "pocket-fillers"?
Old 27th Mar 2005, 05:14

"Pocket-fillers" if u think a "pocket-filler" is that fellow who works at the Greek restaurant....U might be a redneck!!

"mayannaise"....a lot of pocket fillers at GF
Old 27th Mar 2005, 08:33

I try to give a picture in contrast with all other replies here.
Old 27th Mar 2005, 10:54

Think these type of asessments are designed to test a person's nontech skills and ability to work as part of a crew..which as we know a vast majority of crew-caused accidents are CRM failures..not tech reasons..so it makes sense to sort one's notech skills..tech side is more easily taught
Old 27th Mar 2005, 19:23

thanks contact-landing. that was very informative indeed. when was your interview?

i heard there was a session on tech questions of some sort? just wondering...

cheers!
Old 28th Mar 2005, 10:40

Not really meaning to hi-jack the thread...the above noted rant from the guy who actually did pass on decent info was full of some sort of attitude. While the info had some merit, I would be careful when reading. There are some changes to the older style interviews, where the warm body under it's own steam that showed up might have made it in. The attitude of a candidate and his or her ability to work with others is what makes or breaks your chances at GF.
There have been some real dogs that have actually been chased away, and since the new process has been implemented, some good candidates hired. Come with your honesty in place and use your best "non technical" skills. As far as technical skills, you would think that knlowledge that matches your experience would be the benchmark...
Word for the day: "Initiate"...my buddy's wife ate two cheeseburgers, "initiate" a super size french fries....
Old 29th Mar 2005, 17:47

interview was end 04 , technical questions when you are type-rated on one of their types. (multiple-choice, like when you do a ground refresher course, think about 40 to 50 questions).
non-type rated people MAY have some technical questions in the interview, like : what happens when a static or pitot is blocked in vario and/or airspeedindicator...

As said before: it might have been changed for 2005.

Yes I am pissed off because it was not succesfull for me but if you want to check CRM put them in a more realistic scenario like a sim pls. But that needs some dinars of course.

Everything can be improved but I'm sure my CRM is not the worst .
They don't give the reasons why (time & dinarconsuming they say) so together with the pencil-thing ,mentioned before, you are left with questions.
Are there other more experienced guys, did I fail in that area or there?...if you want to set standards tell the people that don't meet them why so that they now were to improve themselves.

I'm off now so to all going for the interview : THUMBS UP !!
Old 25th Oct 2006, 11:42

My oh my, things have certainly changed from those days. I've clawed this thread back from yesteryear since a lot of questions have been re-asked about the Gulf Air interview process. The main changes to the process from last year is the introduction of the B767 and A320 sim ride...CRM is a big factor during the sim ride so that dispells a lot of dissatisfaction from last years candidates.
A lot of emphasis has been placed also on the group discussion and how well one performs in the group environment, so if anyone wishes to outsmart his peers need to rethink and polish up on teamwork. You will be scrutinised individually on being a team player.
A two on one interview almost feels like an interrogation. Usually carried out by a male and female interviewer. They seem to try and get under your skin. Just try to be friendly, patient, honest and cultural.
Old 26th Oct 2006, 06:20

Hi Sal-e,
surprise to see that there is an sim ride now.... I have been reading all about GF but nothing like this one... ok, so because i think you will start your course within couple of days... first of all.... CONGRATULATIONS... could you please advise me about the atmosphere over there when you will be started? what do you think about what you read on PPRUNE and is really happening?
thank you in advance..
by the way the sim, it must be standart no? take off, steep turn, ILS 2 eng and ILS one engine? no? do you work with a scenario? did they give you some info prior the sim eval?
hope to read you soon...
cheers.

Old 28th Oct 2006, 21:46

The sim ride, in order was
1. t/o 2 eng visual circuit and land
2. t/o, eng cut @ v1, imc, straight ahead, cleared turn for overhead, procedural ils, 1 eng go around, miraculous vmc, circle and land.

A fairly standard sim ride. It seemed that you crm performance was more scrutinised than your flying prowess, though it certainly helped if you didn't crash. I think they were interested in your intentions and thoughts rather than you poling abilities.
Old 18th Aug 2008, 21:00

Talk about a blast from the past. I think this is great info and was just wondering if anyone had a recent update that they would care to share?

I have searched extensively and respectfully request that any answers speak only to the question asked.

Thanks very much in advance